Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Im playing as germens naturaly and so far Austria refused anshluss and had to take it by force :dealwithit:

Was supporting nationalist spain with land lease and some volunteers also with italians and japanese, the opposing side was supported by the russkies, its 1938 and so far its a tie.

Are you manually controlling your volunteers? Every streamer I've seen managed to mop op the opposing side quite quickly, even if they're awful at the game. But maybe they didn't get soviet help.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Onlysoviets help Rep. Spain it seems. They are pisspoor on forces and one encirclement is enough to drive one side to collapse.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
tqtDTv9.png

:lol:

Are you manually controlling your volunteers? Every streamer I've seen managed to mop op the opposing side quite quickly,

I got only 2 volunteers so can't do much.

Got bored and left

Onlysoviets help Rep. Spain it seems. They are pisspoor on forces and one encirclement is enough to drive one side to collapse.

Yeah. I'm playing the Republicans now and it's a fair grind. I am winnig, but all the undermanned divisions make it a pain in the butt to get rid of even encirceld forces, especially if they are in easily defensible terrain. Thank goodness for those 3 divisions the Russkies sent.

It seems that other countries, or at least France, can help the Republicans, but they have to go communist in order to do that. Republican Spain also becomes kinda unrepublican, since (at least in my game) it switched government to communist at the outbreak of the war. Wasn't anticipating that.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Decided to wait with DiNMRK until I got better, since no matter who you ally with, either hitler, Stalin or Churchill will be beelining for Copenhagen.

Picked Venezuela.

1942 ticked over. Venezuela controls *all* of south/central america up to the mexican border.

10/10, would recommend as a starter faction. you get lots of soft targets to beat up.

foolish dinmrk soon will be gone

79QeOm1.png

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
After unwittingly doing an all-nighter yesterday (I swear gais, it was still 1 AM when I was going to quit but then suddenly it was 6 AM!), I'd say Hearts of Iron 4 is the kind of sequel I'd prefer Pdox to make from now on. It's a good sort of departure from the previous games, so co-existence with older titles is good. I'd rather have a sequel that does something DIFFERENT rather than some manner of baseline update which resets the entire expansion cycle.

Anyway, you guys noticed a little something over at the game's forums? Kaiserreich is coming to HoI4.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
After unwittingly doing an all-nighter yesterday (I swear gais, it was still 1 AM when I was going to quit but then suddenly it was 6 AM!), I'd say Hearts of Iron 4 is the kind of sequel I'd prefer Pdox to make from now on. It's a good sort of departure from the previous games, so co-existence with older titles is good. I'd rather have a sequel that does something DIFFERENT rather than some manner of baseline update which resets the entire expansion cycle.

Anyway, you guys noticed a little something over at the game's forums? Kaiserreich is coming to HoI4.

So far i have to say HOI 4 is exactly everything that i wanted from improved Hoi 3, but most of all its fun to play.

I hope they will not make it a mess with DLCs like they did with ck2.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
So guys, is AI decent or dogshit again?

Calling it now that the first major DLC is a Cold War expansion DLC with a dynamic post-war order and World War III.

You think they'll put effort into DLCs?

I'm not entirely convinced by the AI so far. The "AUTOMATE YOUR FRONT EZ GAME EZ LAIF" seems worse than the one in HoI3, if that's even possible. It misses loads of opportunities to cut off salients and clear pockets. My chinese troops in Stalingrad got cut off at one point, I figured I'd lost them so I didn't check for a while, but after a week or two I was able to walk them back casually to meet up with their buddies on my side of the front. After the AI just stood around in a province next to it doing fuck all.

But it's paradox so your mileage may vary.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

So far i have to say HOI 4 is exactly everything that i wanted from improved Hoi 3, but most of all its fun to play.

I hope they will not make it a mess with DLCs like they did with ck2.
As long as they implement toggle-able "features" as they're going to do with CK2.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So guys, is AI decent or dogshit again?

Calling it now that the first major DLC is a Cold War expansion DLC with a dynamic post-war order and World War III.

You think they'll put effort into DLCs?

I'm not entirely convinced by the AI so far. The "AUTOMATE YOUR FRONT EZ GAME EZ LAIF" seems worse than the one in HoI3, if that's even possible. It misses loads of opportunities to cut off salients and clear pockets. My chinese troops in Stalingrad got cut off at one point, I figured I'd lost them so I didn't check for a while, but after a week or two I was able to walk them back casually to meet up with their buddies on my side of the front. After the AI just stood around in a province next to it doing fuck all.

But it's paradox so your mileage may vary.
Manual orders override battleplans so you can adjust battles the way you like

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The "AUTOMATE YOUR FRONT EZ GAME EZ LAIF" seems worse than the one in HoI3

You must did not play hoi3 a lot because it was the same in Hoi 3 but more cumbersome, here it actualy works.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
The "AUTOMATE YOUR FRONT EZ GAME EZ LAIF" seems worse than the one in HoI3

You must did not play hoi3 a lot because it was the same in Hoi 3 but more cumbersome, here it actualy works.

Played quite a lot HoI3, don't have the numbers since I didn't get it on steam. But maybe it's just me being used to my abusive husband (HoI3) and not understanding my lover who actually makes sense (HoI4).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
How is balance at the moment? I've read stories of Tibet building nuclear reactors in 1941 and Poland conquering Germany in 1939 with hordes of cheap infantry.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
The game is ok. I was surprised to see there are quite a few things I actually quite like, such as the new production system. Trade is meh but at least it's manageable. Tech/focuses feel more involved. The army-level AI is much more efficient than in HoI3 and you can actually try to be subtle with it rather than have it randomly hurl troops at the enemy.

The big downside, however, is that the game feels ridiculously easy. EU-style blobbing, in a WWII game? Oh well, mods will fix it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That's the reason you don't like HOI4? :?

I have an irrational hatred of censorship, and historical censorship is beyond the pale.

Having to pretend the Nazis never existed is shit-tier, super-faggy European censorship and I won't tolerate it.

There is 4-5 "historical German flag" mods out already. Paradox probably counted on this.

From what I've read (it's not hard to Google up some pertinent results), Paradox actively oppose the creation of Nazi-themed mods for their HoI games, ergo my disgruntlement.

Last edited:

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

I have an irrational hatred of censorship, and historical censorship is beyond the pale.

Having to pretend the Nazis never existed is shit-tier, super-faggy European censorship and I won't tolerate it.

There is 4-5 "historical German flag" mods out already. Paradox probably counted on this.

From what I've read (it's not hard to Google up some pertinent results), Paradox actively oppose the creation of Nazi-themed mods for their HoI games, ergo my disgruntlement.

As far as I can recall the official policy is "No swastikas because of german censorship, no genocide because we at Paradox don't dig that shit." Besides that you can be as nazi as you want, as far as I can tell.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42902/

That's a mod-turned-DLC for HoI3 that's pretty much all about fleshing out them Nazi's, or is that not what you mean with nazi-themed mods?

bonescraper

Stop it, ok? Just stop it. I don't like it either, but it's the way you do business these days. Nobody wants to fucking struggle with inane German whims, or spedning money and resources just to evade stupid decissions (i'm purposely not saying laws, because law is clear in this case).

Raven Software's Wolfenstein was banned in Germany and Israel because of swastikas. And the last Wolfenstein game had to go to ridiculous measures to whitewash nazism in Germany. I understand why companies don't want to deal with this shit. I mean, there are people who call for censorship because "lolocaust wasn't a game!!!11!!one :((((((((((((((".

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Meanwhile, I'm over in Australia like...
Ac3EOT1.jpg

Very nice touch though that Fascist Australia is represented by the Eureka Flag.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Meanwhile, I'm over in Iran like...

IranGoneFucked.jpg
There is no victory against Russia, they just keep coming! Since they have military access with France, UK and whatnot, they just completely encircile me.....and Turkey got whooped.

As a note, later on (about 300k dead on their side later), they brought about double that amount of troop, some planes and just whooped me....then puppeted Iraq, Afghanistan and myself. I'm gonna continue a bit, try some more stuff, but I think my first game is coming to a close. Good fun but I should have factionned up early on otherwise I can see the Soviet gunning after me everytime.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Really enjoying this game. I'm currently fighting a ground war in the Australian outback after turning fascist and triggering a civil war. Australian loyalists, with help from American volunteers and reinforcements of the Netherlands, are trying to retake the country and control the West coast, so I'm reinforcing my position in Melbourne and Sydney to keep control of the main urban centres while I build up my forces. Eventually I plan to invade New Zealand. The war in Europe is raging on as usual, of course.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Stop it, ok? Just stop it. I don't like it either, but it's the way you do business these days. Nobody wants to fucking struggle with inane German whims

People giving in to whiners is exactly why whiners get their way. Banning swastikas is retarded security theater and always has been. It's done nil to prevent underground Neo-Nazi movements and similar.

I understand the "why" of it from all angles, but I don't have to like it. HoI is a WW2 game. WW2 movies can have swastikas (even in Germany, if it passes some threshold of "educational"), WW2 documentaries can obviously have swastikas, but in a wargame full of accurate historical figures, locations, and iconography, there can't be swastikas because... why? Someone might LARP Hitler?

They couldn't be bothered to create the proper graphics for regions that don't have ineffective security theater censoring, and they actively oppose modding them in, so I can't be bothered with this franchise. That's it.

I'm not condemning anyone else for enjoying the game or not being pissed off about retarded ineffective censorship, it's a personal issue. By all means, enjoy yourself.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It kind of pisses me off too, but you can just patch in the flag so it's not a big deal to me. First thing I did before playing was download the swastika mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom