Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Because the game is boring as hell if you don't have a war going. It lacks all the nation-building aspects of EU and Vicky. There's really not much to do while you're at peace, except to prepare for the coming war.
Then start the war already. AI Germany isn't going to stay peaceful by itself, is it?

Nah, as long as you are in a faction the other factions will respond to your increasing threat with a DoW eventually. Playing either the Axis or the Soviets you can easily get the other factions to declare on you in 1937/38 if you go full-on warmonger. Dunno if the Axis/Soviets will declare war on a warmongering Allies, haven't tried.

Cassidy

Arcane
GarfunkeL

I present here unquestionable proof of the inferiority of Hearts of Iron 3 to its predecessor, for obviously a game that features this(the fact it is from a mod irrelevant) is superior:

uBjN9I8.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Of course including a Landkreuzer is in itself rather prepostrous since the thing is completely unworkable and nothing more than nazi fever dreams.

(And of course you can just mod it in HoI3 as well)

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
HoI3 was, at launch, very supportive of sandbox play. Which led to wacky things like USA in the Axis, WW2 breaking out in 1937, Nat.China invading Japan in 1941, and so on. I guess it's possible that Pdox can have all the big quirks ironed out, and HoI4 will be both logically coherent and "sandboxy".

And obviously any game that includes the Landkreuzer is superior to any other game
:kwanzania:

Sadly any time the AI goes off-script it basically ruins the game for a lot of players (and depending on how it goes offscript, it may make your nation entirely irrelevant to the war). I think the only chance of alt-history in HoI3 at the moment is that the Czechs sometimes choose to fight Germany at Munich.

Vaarna_Aarne

Sadly any time the AI goes off-script it basically ruins the game for a lot of players (and depending on how it goes offscript, it may make your nation entirely irrelevant to the war). I think the only chance of alt-history in HoI3 at the moment is that the Czechs sometimes choose to fight Germany at Munich.
Bad deviation point, too easy for the Allies. Only deviation after 1939 is fun.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Something that I always thought would be fun, at least in the early parts of the war, is some sort of South American front. Like Argentina vs Brazil or something along those lines.

Argentina could get German military advisors and have to rush to take out Brazil before 'Murica gets dragged in by Pearl Harbor. It also gives Germany a foothold in the West without having to take out Britain.

Also, Spain joining the Axis is always fun to play around with, as it pretty much screws Britain in North Africa.

Vaarna_Aarne

The mentioned South American stuff would indeed be a fun thing. Some kind of generic war trigger chains would be handy for causing stuff like that to happen in there, since otherwise you just got the very brief Ecuadorian-Peruvian War.

Vaarna_Aarne

darkpatriot, that is wacky. My experiences have been total opposite. I think it was in SF when I played a super-aggressive Hungary, and got Allies to DOW me once I had conquered Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria and was busy with Greece. Though the Danzig event fired a week later, so it wasn't that big of a headache. Similarly, in FTM, I played as the USSR and got Allies to DOW me when I went for Sweden and Norway after eating Finland in Winter War. Perhaps the scripts have been changed for TFH?

Still, it is a testament to the sandboxy-environment of HoI3, that Pdox was aiming for, that different players can have so varied experiences.

One thing that may be affecting it is my country of choice, Turkey. I don't know if Turkey is considered as on another continent than Europe, but the UK is much more likely to do a DOW on European countries

Nope, did the same with Greece, ended up with the Balkans and Anatolia then invaded the soviet union on my own in 1944 when the germans were getting their shit kicked in. Allies didn't even bother me.

What about neutral Italy? Wouldn't it be funnier game?

And do what? Sit and look at Libya and Ethiopia all day?

If you don't fight Britain for the middle east and attack France along with Germany, then there is pretty much no point in playing them.

Declinator

Arbiter
The improvement I would like the most in HoI4 is this:
L3MlURT.png

I'm aware that you can set it to automatically prioritize supplies etc. but you cannot set it to prioritize multiple categories as far as I'm aware. It gets bothersome to have to check this so often with little need for thought.

Slightly off-topic, is there any reason to play HoI2 over 3 aside from hating micromanagement as some people do and possibly liking deterministic events and historical unit names? I've played it for a few hours and on pretty much all fronts it seemed like HoI3-lite with much less provinces, a tech research system that at least at first glance seemed inferior and an UI that only a mother could like.

Even the AI seemed worse, France actually punctured my lines and then left Maginot totally alone with the bulk of my forces there capturing it without resistance and then encircling the french forces. The Polish forces for some reason left Warsaw with only a few divisions even though they had a considerable stack waiting there before that point in time (though it is possible that the stack was low on organization.) This was patched HoI2 Armageddon.

More off-topic but since we are on the subject of trying out earlier versions of Paradox games, is Victoria: Revolutions better than Vicky 2 (HoD) in any way and if so, how?

The prioritize upgrades/reinforcement/etc actually does have a priority list of multiple categories. IIRC prioritize upgrades goes consumer goods > supplies > upgrades > reinforcements > production, and is usually what I used.

But there is no setting which allows you to build up a stockpile of supplies and then funnel IC away from supplies into other things through automation

Declinator

Arbiter
The prioritize upgrades/reinforcement/etc actually does have a priority list of multiple categories. IIRC prioritize upgrades goes consumer goods > supplies > upgrades > reinforcements > production, and is usually what I used.

There does not seem to be "prioritize supplies" option at all. Just prioritize reinforcements, prioritize upgrades and prioritize production (FTM). Also, I meant prioritizing multiple categories simultaneously. If I prioritize reinforcements then that is what it will focus on at the cost of other categories and so on.

This is where the automatic prioritizing happens, right?
6iLqaHw.png

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm aware that you can set it to automatically prioritize supplies etc. but you cannot set it to prioritize multiple categories as far as I'm aware. It gets bothersome to have to check this so often with little need for thought.

Slightly off-topic, is there any reason to play HoI2 over 3 aside from hating micromanagement as some people do and possibly liking deterministic events and historical unit names? I've played it for a few hours and on pretty much all fronts it seemed like HoI3-lite with much less provinces, a tech research system that at least at first glance seemed inferior and an UI that only a mother could like.

Even the AI seemed worse, France actually punctured my lines and then left Maginot totally alone with the bulk of my forces there capturing it without resistance and then encircling the french forces. The Polish forces for some reason left Warsaw with only a few divisions even though they had a considerable stack waiting there before that point in time (though it is possible that the stack was low on organization.) This was patched HoI2 Armageddon.

More off-topic but since we are on the subject of trying out earlier versions of Paradox games, is Victoria: Revolutions better than Vicky 2 (HoD) in any way and if so, how?
The main reason to play HoI2 is the large-scale mods (most notably Kaiserreich, which alone is reason enough to keep both HoI2 and HoI3 around), and that's it. In terms of gameplay it's inferior to HoI3 in every respect. So if you're looking for WW2, HoI3 takes the cake in any manner.

As for Vicky: Rev, Vicky 2 is better. Period.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What about neutral Italy? Wouldn't it be funnier game?

And do what? Sit and look at Libya and Ethiopia all day?

I meant real world Itally would stay neutral. Wouldn't that change a lot of things positively for Germany? I doubt paradox would be able to implement these nuances into HoI4, but it might be interesting to see a game under original plan. Aka Chinese being German allies, and Japan NOT in war with Chinese.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom