Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Since Italy is often capable of kicking British ass in North-Africa/Middle-East, Italy staying neutral can actually be detrimental. Also, HoI3 AI is better than HoI2 AI. IIRC, even in Armageddon (the last official expansion), AI was usually blind to encirclements. In HoI3:TFH, it's very apt on avoiding encirclements.

Nugs

Learned
Probated
HOI 3 is good, but i don't like the fact that you have to micro 100 units, the pop-ups give me a headache and without them half of the front can be left unprotected, i hope they lessen the numbers in hoi 4

The prioritize upgrades/reinforcement/etc actually does have a priority list of multiple categories. IIRC prioritize upgrades goes consumer goods > supplies > upgrades > reinforcements > production, and is usually what I used.

There does not seem to be "prioritize supplies" option at all. Just prioritize reinforcements, prioritize upgrades and prioritize production (FTM). Also, I meant prioritizing multiple categories simultaneously. If I prioritize reinforcements then that is what it will focus on at the cost of other categories and so on.

This is where the automatic prioritizing happens, right?
6iLqaHw.png

What I'm saying is that all of the automization options will prioritize multiple categores simultaneously. The prioritize upgrades option will prioritize in order of consumer goods > supplies > upgrades > reinforcements > production

Why not simply let the users rank the priorities themselves? Make the entire IC bar drag n drop, with IC allocated starting from the top. Instead of raw IC allocation the slider bar controls the percent of total requirement to be spent before moving on to the next category.

Cassidy

Arcane
Finally tried it, and although I still consider Darkest Hour more fun(in large part because of the variety of mods), it is good, if sometimes overtly micromanagement intensive. Just an example from the little I already played:

What is the point of having all those detailed HQs if you cannot make the other units under their command follow around them to cover multiple provinces and then support defense/etc automatically, and if you automate the movement of divisional level strategic units it will most likely be suboptimal when not terrible, thus if you want the best possible results or is playing with potato or a country where any strategic inefficiency equals defeat you'll have to control every division individually anyway?

However it's not a bad game, the divisional customization is interesting and Black ICE and the several expansions fixed it, Plus the fact Black Ice features NKVD

40kCommissars.jpg

and SS death squads almost makes up for the lack of Landkreuzers.

PS: Once I wrap up my Darkest Hour Let's Play I'll start one with Black Ice HoI3

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Why not simply let the users rank the priorities themselves? Make the entire IC bar drag n drop, with IC allocated starting from the top. Instead of raw IC allocation the slider bar controls the percent of total requirement to be spent before moving on to the next category.
That would be sweet. It is possible to lock a slider into a certain position, and then tell the AI to prioritize something else. I know it's not exactly what you want, but it's close enough.

I usually keep "prioritize upgrades", as that works well enough for 99% of situations.

Cassidy

Arcane
GarfunkeL, I got a game I want to turn into "Britain's Finest Hour: Utterly Hopeless Edition" by playing as UK after Kwanzania joins the Axis, and so far it is April 1938 and the German-American Bund, plus fascists and paternal autocrats have around 40% popularity, with the Kwanazis having around 25% and 2 people in the cabinet, but no signs they will manage to actually win the next elections. Should I cheat to ensure Swastikas in the White House or will it be enough to keep the "Support Our Party allies in this country" spy mission with max spies and Influence Nation for ITZ to happen before September 1939?

PS: Also I may have to edit Germany AI to refuse accepting Italy and Japan in the Axis and instead side with Kwa against Japan.

Last edited:

XenomorphII

Prophet
GarfunkeL, I got a game I want to turn into "Britain's Finest Hour: Utterly Hopeless Edition" by playing as UK after Kwanzania joins the Axis, and so far it is April 1938 and the German-American Bund, plus fascists and paternal autocrats have around 40% popularity, with the Kwanazis having around 25% and 2 people in the cabinet, but no signs they will manage to actually win the next elections. Should I cheat to ensure Swastikas in the White House or will it be enough to keep the "Support Our Party allies in this country" spy mission with max spies and Influence Nation for ITZ to happen before September 1939?

PS: Also I may have to edit Germany AI to refuse accepting Italy and Japan in the Axis and instead side with Kwa against Japan.

In TFH, Japan will declare war on the US if it is in the Axis in Septemberish of 1941 (as soon as the decision is available basically, I think that is when but I may be off by a month or so) regardless of the US's standing with the Axis powers. I have literally had the Japs declare war on a US that had elected the German-American Bund and was maybe 2 months away from being in the Axis. I never bring them into the Axis now. Ever.

It is very unlikely that you will be able to cause a coup by Sept 1939, though with a little luck it might happen (though it will spread your spies thinner, it does have the advantage of giving you a US that immediately jumps to your corner). It is very possible to win the White House though in 40. If I recall, the best way for either is to have your spies run "support our party" (which makes a coup more likely to succeed as well) and counter espionage (to nuke US spies and stop them from countering your actions or nuking your spies). If you do decide to try to coup, you also have to throw some spies towards the mission that generates covert points (which will be used when you attempt to launch the coup and it takes them a while to get to the number needed if I recall right).

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Or you can start a custom game as USA, use the set-up screen to make USA already as close to Axis as possible, then TAG-switch to Germany to set up the spy missions. Also, use a minister that gives a bonus to counter-espionage.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You'll probably want to set up some custom decisions in the event of US joining Axis, namely to force Japan to join the Allies. Probably take the time to apply some sort of bonus for Japan and/or UK to offset the huge odds they're facing, given how US joining the Axis pretty much ends all of Germany's resource and naval problem overnight, and Lend-Lease from US is even more bang for German warmachine. By contrast Allies are going to run out of resources by this point, and Japan and UK cannot defend Asia from the US.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Why this looks so like World of Tanks?
attachment.php

And the dev diary:
Production
We wanted a more interesting industry model that offered a compelling reason not to always use the latest technology, as well as adding more unit flavor in HoI4. To accomplish this we developed a model where you no longer build full divisions and aircraft wings one at a time; instead, you create production lines to pump out individual vehicles. The longer you run a single production line the more efficient it gets at producing that piece of equipment, and the choice of when to switch over to, say, a newer tank model becomes tricky. Is the war effort best served by a shiny new Tiger that can outclass the competition, or would you rather have 20 Panzer IVs? You will have to make choices like this. Upgrading your equipment now means replacing your old models at the front with new tank designs, for example. The old ones can be put in reserve, sent to less important places, or perhaps given as aid to an ally.

This means that a division is basically an assortment of different equipment combined with men who operate them. Most of the stats of a division will come from equipment, so a panzer division without tanks will not be particularly fit for duty. As for exactly what equipment is used by each division, it will depend on how you have structured your divisions. At the smallest level, we are looking at battalion types that make up your divisions determining how much you need of everything, but a division is still the smallest unit that can be moved around the map. For example, adding an extra battalion of artillery to a division means that it will now also require a few more men and a specific number of artillery cannons that you will need to produce before that battalion will be effective. We’ll talk more about this in a later diary.

Technology
Equipment appears all through the new technology trees. The idea is that unlocking a new piece of equipment should be very visible, and it should be very clear what you will get. Here is a screenshot showing what the armored tech tree looks like for Germany.

Armored technology is based around chassis that you unlock. Each of the chassis has 4 subtechs, each of which unlocks a variant. So, for example, once you have unlocked the Panzer III tank you can research the tank destroyer variant, StuG III. The StuG III was a Panzer III chassis with the turret removed and a larger fixed gun placed in its stead. Variants like this can be switched to production lines from the original chassis without much of penalty, so once the Panzer IV becomes your main tank and the Panzer III no longer measures up, it's a perfect time to convert to producing StuGs on those Panzer III lines. Most nations developed their vehicles like this during the war, and we wanted to include this flavor. Historically, the StuG III ended up being the most produced armored vehicle in Germany during the war.

There will also be ways to create more custom equipment variants with abilities unlocked by experience over the course of the war. This is also something we will go into more detail on in the future.

By switching to equipment from HoI3's more abstracted model, we gain a lot of cool flavor as well as introducing many of the actual interesting choices that leaders of the time had to deal with. We also believe it will make it easier to understand for new players, as well as being more immersive for players. You will now see results like "10 heavy tanks destroyed" rather than some abstracted strength percentage. Because the production models changes over to lines it also doesn't introduce any more unnecessary micro management, so it is really a win-win.

That's all from me for today, see you again in a month for another diary!

I don't care if they make the tech tree look like WoT as long as they continue to refine this VASTLY superior production system. I have the biggest WW2-boner ever right now.

Vaarna_Aarne

Me too, that thing about producing individual tank models, retooling production lines to produce variant models, and selling older equipment you're phasing out to your allies almost made me jizz my pants.

Hmm, I hope this doesn't mean that certain nations are automatically gimped by historical necessity. It would be kind of shitty if the US couldn't produce heavy tanks until 1945. And Panzer IV - 1941, wut?. Panzer III and IV were developed and produced pretty much concurrently, in 1939.

Like the idea, just hope that things don't suffer for poor implementation. I look forward to steamrolling Germany as France with my superior Char B1 heavy tanks. Oh who am I kidding, France will once again get nerfed to 1/10th of their historical strength

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Well, the US did have working heavy tanks, they just didn't want to retool the factories to produce them/make space for them on transports. The T1E1/M6 should be available for the US to build as heavies, around the same time as the Tiger. Maybe turning them into the T29/30/34 or even the M103, late game of course.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, the tech/model tree looks like shit, but what the dev diary says is also contradicting it, so I'm assuming it's just an alpha mockup and the actual game will have a different one. Also, Wehrmacht didn't consider Pz I or II to be medium tanks, but they had to use them as such since III's and IV's were not available in sufficient numbers by the time the war broke out. Hopefully their vanilla system already will allow historical German tank regiments, where two battalions use Pz III's and the third has Pz IV's. The dev diary hints that it should be possible. Also, having infantry regiments where one battalion is equipped with half-tracks (mechanized inf) while the others use trucks (motorized inf).

And if previous iterations prove true here as well, the first beta version will have fairly "realistic" stats for all countries, at which point they notice that AI Germany cannot beat AI France and AI USSR steamrolls Germany in two months, so...
Oh who am I kidding, France will once again get nerfed to 1/10th of their historical strength
aaayyyp.

Vaarna_Aarne

And if previous iterations prove true here as well, the first beta version will have fairly "realistic" stats for all countries, at which point they notice that AI Germany cannot beat AI France and AI USSR steamrolls Germany in two months, so...
Oh who am I kidding, France will once again get nerfed to 1/10th of their historical strength
aaayyyp.
And the same will continue with them scratching their heads and trying to figure out how to do Winter War and probably not even doing Continuation War event chain at all but instead doing something trivial like the Swedish intervention events for Winter War.

It's probably going to be the eternal downfall of the attempt of trying to put realism before gameplay in WW2 simulation because if you purely look at it from measurable statistics it makes no goddamn sense.

Renegen

Arcane
Hey, when a Finnish company is going to design award winning and successful grand strategy WW2 games, you can have proper Continuation War events. Until then, submit to your Swedish overlords.
:troll:

Vaarna_Aarne

Actually we're just trying to maneuver it so that the statistical improbability of those two wars ends up causing things in HoI to such a level of problems getting things set up that you might as well rename the only two Finnish battalion types as "Imperial Sardaukar" and "Fremen Fedaykiin" when contrasted with all the other battalions.

In all seriousness tho, probably the thing Winter War events need the most is that if the Soviet Union does not suffer enough casualties and need a minimum number of time to cause surrender, all Great Officer Purge penalties become permanent.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Hey, when a Finnish company is going to design award winning and successful grand strategy WW2 games, you can have proper Continuation War events. Until then, submit to your Swedish overlords.
:troll:
Never going to happen. All Finnish devs are either sucking the easy teat of iShit market of candy crush and angry bird clones, or autistic basement dwellers creating neverending madness projects like Unreal World.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom