Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hell is freezing over: Ubisoft's Might & Magic X is actually a blobber

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
How ironic that the same Codex that trips over themselves in an attempt to gather KKK's by mocking TWitcher fans and Bioware/Bethesda are now happily swallowing loads of French jism from Ubisoft based on a few screenshots from a cheap browser based MMO maker.

Oh an Jaesun, I will wager a free blowjob that this thing will be shittier than Grimcock; all show and no soul.

It's as if handheld or console crawlers didn't exist in this decade. Oh but of course 'console trash art...jrpg shit', despite them having better mechanics for the most part than this shit will have.

I reserve this space to mock all those that believed in this shit.

Though if it turns out good I reserve the right to play it 7 times.

mondblut

Arcane
If it will be as bad as MM9, it will still be good enough, as far as I am concerned.

But if Grimrock is their inspiration, I expect the game mechanics to be castrated as hell and the end result being a glorified Monsters Den. Casual as fuck, even in comparison to the older MMs who always were quite on a casual side.

Nonetheless, in between the FPSes with 3 stats, the action-adventures with 3 stats, and the shitty movies with 3 stats, having an alternative is always welcome.
Doesn't look like much of dancing around. Let's wait for some real details.

"Grimrock is inspiration" as in "dumb down the RPG part to the levels unheard of in Lands of Lore".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Wow, surprising indeed. Seems like that random neogaf poster was right about "incline".

Until we find out the skill and Magic System is not utterly butchered, It's not incline yet.
Agree, but I don't think we can deny what we know so far is an incline over what we feared.

All we know is that while in all the years since 2003 since the Codex started we would NEVER expect an AAA Publisher to ACTUALLY SPEND MONEY on a turn based blobber in 2013. This is just like we woke up in fucking BIZARRO WORLD. Unfortunately, it is still an AAA Publisher and we know what they 100% focus on: $$$$$$$$$ nothing else, as well as horrible DRM and a focus on "casual". Will they actually focus on the cRPG mechanics and world and area design that made the Might and Magic series very enjoyable? I guess we shall find out (hopefully) tomorrow. I would love to be surprised.

Yea the important thing here is the trend, and even if this shit turns out to be shit, which is likely, it means that bigger agents now finds it worthwhile to spend money on old school games. That's where the :incline: comes from.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Wow, surprising indeed. Seems like that random neogaf poster was right about "incline".

Until we find out the skill and Magic System is not utterly butchered, It's not incline yet.
Agree, but I don't think we can deny what we know so far is an incline over what we feared.

All we know is that while in all the years since 2003 since the Codex started we would NEVER expect an AAA Publisher to ACTUALLY SPEND MONEY on a turn based blobber in 2013. This is just like we woke up in fucking BIZARRO WORLD. Unfortunately, it is still an AAA Publisher and we know what they 100% focus on: $$$$$$$$$ nothing else, as well as horrible DRM and a focus on "casual". Will they actually focus on the cRPG mechanics and world and area design that made the Might and Magic series very enjoyable? I guess we shall find out (hopefully) tomorrow. I would love to be surprised.

Well we know we can thank Grimrock and KS for this. If either of those didn't exist, no way would this see the light of day. But really you're making too much of the AAA publisher thing. Check out the FULL catalogue of Ubisoft(or indeed EA or Activision) published releases and you'll see shit of such cheapness and low quality that would make a Matrix shovelware title look like it had TOR's budget. All this announcement is, is a pathetic and minimal testing of the waters. Why not use a proper engine for this, at least making it look great and current? I may love Gold Box but I wouldn't turn away current gen graphics and interface assuming the mechanics were the same or improved. But no, Ubisoft have calculated on EXACTLY this response from long starved fans and are counting on spending as little as possible just to pick up some quick loot of their own. Before people realise it's a dud, the money will have already been made.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Well we know we can thank Grimrock and KS for this. If either of those didn't exist, no way would this see the light of day. But really you're making too much of the AAA publisher thing. Check out the FULL catalogue of Ubisoft(or indeed EA or Activision) published releases and you'll see shit of such cheapness and low quality that would make a Matrix shovelware title look like it had TOR's budget. All this announcement is, is a pathetic and minimal testing of the waters. Why not use a proper engine for this, at least making it look great and current? I may love Gold Box but I wouldn't turn away current gen graphics and interface assuming the mechanics were the same or improved. But no, Ubisoft have calculated on EXACTLY this response from long starved fans and are counting on spending as little as possible just to pick up some quick loot of their own. Before people realise it's a dud, the money will have already been made.

You know this as a fact?

jewboy

Arbiter
The graphics are pretty much the only thing I wouldn't worry about. They look fine. The problem is it's not that easy to design a good cRPG even if you have the best of intentions. I don't know if those devs are up to the task. What I'm wondering is if this were a kickstarter project with just Limbic would people back it?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The very fact that they already have the basic tenants of an M&M game makes me believe this can't be worse than mediocre, unless they really fuck something up. There's no way it can be worse than MM9. And I'd still take a mediocre turn-based blobber over a Dragon Age 2 any day of the week.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

You know this as a fact?

Don't get defensive, but yes I do. As much as any Codexer opinion becomes fact when said(though in this case it's based on studied analysis and historical precedent. I am actually a historian you know.). :smug:

Seriously, the 'fact' is in the first line: without Grimrock and KS moneys coming in for old school style projects, Ubisoft wouldn't have bothered. Oh one more thing: they did make a lot with Clash of Heroes, and I've seen many forums about that game stating that it's a shame they don't make a proper M&M game as well. So maybe that also had some effect but I doubt it as it was released years ago and no movement towards this was made.

Another fact is the catalogue of cheap shovelware crap that UBISOFT funded. Check it out, you'll see shit that would cater for like 3 people on the planet. So it's not some great thing they are doing funding this at the bare minimum. If anything it shows what cunts they have been up until now by NOT funding a blobber when they gave money to all manner of shit.

Oh and finally, there is another fact with the engine. It's essentially the same cheap browser MMO engine that Limbic used in Dungeon Empires. You think they'd make a new one?

OK, maybe Limbic are 'fans' of M&M as they say and this is a genuine effort by them to return the series to life. I can see them going to Ubisoft and saying that "they have this engine and that Grimrock and KS have shown there is a market etc. and that please Mr Ubisoft publisher, give us some moneys to finish this game, it won't cost you much honest..." and the lord on his throne throwing the loose change from the table at them. This is the only hope I have. I have none of the sudden love for Ubisoft that people seem to have now and this is what annoys me. I doubt Ubisoft had anything to do with bringing this series back.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Can you then tell me the Skill and Magic System this has then commie? Since you know everything about it. Spill the beans.

Also you need to go vent in GD and get whatever is bugging you and turning you into a CRAZY BABBLING MADMAN. ;)

GD is always here to comfort and support you 100%.

ironyuri

I'm not sure why everyone is so utterly shocked by this. UbiSoft publish the ANNO series, eventhough city builders and strategy have been considered dead genres at AAA level for years, and the Anno series is fantastic. That alone is evidence that UbiSoft care at least a little about niche markets that exist beyond their mega-franchises like Assassin's Creed.

There was also some (sort of) good news late last month about Beyond Good & Evil 2 in EuroGamer:

Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still coming, Ubisoft boss promises

Either way, Ubi might just be smarter than their AAA competitors and recognise that maintaining their niche markets is key to turn over during lean years when the big budget franchises are flagging.

Xi

Arcane
Even if it turns out to be garbage, I will support the attempt. Day one buy for me. I want to see more of this style again!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Oh and finally, there is another fact with the engine. It's essentially the same cheap browser MMO engine that Limbic used in Dungeon Empires. You think they'd make a new one?
It uses unity engine. And for fuck's sake, there are people making a Might and Magic game on RPG Maker. Find something other than the engine to complain about, something that actually matters in a game of this small scope.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
I'm not sure why everyone is so utterly shocked by this. UbiSoft publish the ANNO series, eventhough city builders and strategy have been considered dead genres at AAA level for years, and the Anno series is fantastic. That alone is evidence that UbiSoft care at least a little about niche markets that exist beyond their mega-franchises like Assassin's Creed.

There was also some (sort of) good news late last month about Beyond Good & Evil 2 in EuroGamer:

Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still coming, Ubisoft boss promises

Either way, Ubi might just be smarter than their AAA competitors and recognise that maintaining their niche markets is key to turn over during lean years when the big budget franchises are flagging.

Releasing Yet another console game is VASTLY more different than actually funding a turn based BLOBBER in 2013.

Arkeus

Arcane
Not only is it a blobber, it seems to be much more MM1-5 than MM6-7, given that:
+It is Turn-based
+It is grid-based
+It seems that the cities are accessible as their own map like in the earlier games
+Sheltam is there.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Not only is it a blobber, it seems to be much more MM1-5 than MM6-7, given that:
+It is Turn-based
+It is grid-based
+It seems that the cities are accessible as their own map like in the earlier games
+Sheltam is there.

You know this as a fact? Can you please tell us more? What are the specifics of the Skill and Magic system?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Yes, they better not fuck up the skills and magic. And I PRAY that you still have to pay to level up. I'm anxiously awaiting the Codex interview on this project.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Yes, they better not fuck up the skills and magic. And I PRAY that you still have to pay to level up. I'm anxiously awaiting the Codex interview on this project.

What about the skill and magic systems did you like about them? Any skills you found not so useful? or over powered? How about the Magic spell selection? What did you think worked? Any too overpowered?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom