Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hell is freezing over: Ubisoft's Might & Magic X is actually a blobber

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't get it. Why would they show a trailer with lag? There were little stutters in between the movement of the mobs and there were pictures at the bottom of the screen. I couldn't even see my guy. Is it a boardgame?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's a different world, I believe.
Oh, I see. Well then. Another mediocre-at-best timesink it is (it was going to be that anyway but one with lasers and spaceships).

bonescraper

I'll just leave those here, since nobody cared to show them here in their full glory.

MMX-Legacy_Get_Ready%20to%20explore%20new%20lands%20and%20dungeons!_88213.jpg
MMX-Legacy_Be%20prepared%20to%20meet%20the%20locals_88211.jpg

MMX-Legacy_An%20idyllic%20place...to%20die_88215.jpg

Looks better than Twitcher 3.

:troll:

And it probably will play better too.

DraQ

Arcane
And IF it is shit when it's released and gets horrible reviews and abysmal sales figures....Do you think Ubisoft is going to say, "Oh damn, we shouldn't have used those German Facebook clowns!" or will they say, "Just as we thought, there is no market for this type of game anymore and the KS stuff is just a passing fad, time to roll out Assassins Creed 14".
Or IF the target audience turns out to be intelligent enough to care about Ubi's usual always-on shenanigans and the game tanks regardless of quality.

I'm not exactly bursting with enthusiasm here, folks.

How about Ubisoft giving Swen Vincke enough cash to let Larian make their grand RPG.
And infest it with malware DRM?
No thanks.

While I have little faith in Larian releasing grand RPG to end them all or something, I'm relatively certain of Lar&co's ability to release consistently entertaining and amusing tongue-in-cheek games that are a bit crazy, nut at the same time atmospheric and don't make you regret money spent.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
looks perfect for the whimsical fantasy world of M&M.
judging from the videos, it's well-animated too.

DemonKing

Arcane
Is this a PC exclusive? I didn't see any mention of consoles when I did a quick scan of the site.

I'm hoping it's going to be decent, although it seems it is being developed by a bunch of modders/fans rather than by Uibisoft directly.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Oh and has anyone noticed that characters look like they don't have to pay for training to level up?

I wouldn't infer that. You can get a level up prompt that indicates your characters are ready to go see the trainer. It could still go either way I guess.

Stabwound

Arcane
Is this a PC exclusive? I didn't see any mention of consoles when I did a quick scan of the site.

I'm hoping it's going to be decent, although it seems it is being developed by a bunch of modders/fans rather than by Uibisoft directly.
The trailer has an icon that says "PC Digital Download" at the end.

The company developing this game has done a bunch of shovelware as far as I can tell: http://www.limbic-entertainment.de/en/games/archive

Since Limbic's foundation in 2002 we have released about 60 product versions of classical boxed-games which have been published in more than a dozen countries. Primarily, our emphasis was on client based games, but we moved on to making online games quite early. We also took part in greater productions and innovations, as for example Heroes of Might and Magic VI and the Europe-wide TA2 project.

Changing direction from boxed towards browser games in 2006, we were among the first German studios to take that step. With the last months we created seven online games in addition to the aforementioned boxed games and innovations. Among them was the successful "Horse Saga" for Ubisoft Entertainment. See Limbic's archive here.

So not exactly the most promising of studios for such a project. I hope Ubisoft isn't making a budgetless, half-hearted MMX game. :(

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
From the unholy trinity, i always considered Ubisoft the lesser evil. EA takes the crown.
Using DnD terms, I've always pictured Kotick as Lawful Evil ("Yes, I know I'm evil, but I admit it and I'm playing by the rules, suckers!"), EA as Neutral Evil ("give us your money, stupid motherfuckers!"), and Ubi as Chaotic Evil ("MUHAHAHUAHA!!! I've no idea what I'm doing!!1"). Turns out Chaotic is the best one.

I don't get it. Why would they show a trailer with lag? There were little stutters in between the movement of the mobs and there were pictures at the bottom of the screen. I couldn't even see my guy. Is it a boardgame?
I was going to respond to this post in a serious way.
Then I got it.
:thumbsup:

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
So not exactly the most promising of studios for such a project. I hope Ubisoft isn't making a budgetless, half-hearted MMX game. :(

Cheap labour from crappy studio to cash-in on the 'old skool' craze.

DraQ

Arcane
:what:
I'm agreeing with Roguey...

oh god
That's only : x pride talking.
Visually, this game is pretty shit (and that's pretty much the only thing we know for sure at this point) - even if there is indeed similarity to early M&Ms (which I don't really see), a style that works with low-colour, low-res 2D pixel art doesn't necessarily work in modern detailed 3D.

In terms ofgameplay, while TB blobber is vastly preferable to RT one, and while it is a really good solution to party based combat, it doesn't alone imply that the game won't be shit.

In terms of other factors - risk of DRM, risk of bombing due to DRM or various causes and unwarranted conclusion that blobbers can't sell therefore ass-creed, etc.

TL:DR where's mah Wiz 9?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Using DnD terms, I've always pictured Kotick as Lawful Evil ("Yes, I know I'm evil, but I admit it and I'm playing by the rules, suckers!"), EA as Neutral Evil ("give us your money, stupid motherfuckers!"), and Ubi as Chaotic Evil ("MUHAHAHUAHA!!! I've no idea what I'm doing!!1"). Turns out Chaotic is the best one.
If you tried playing CE this way near me, I'd beat you over the head with the rulebook.

In Cleve's hands, apparently.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
If you tried playing CE this way near me, I'd beat you over the head with the rulebook.

In Cleve's hands, apparently.
I would never play a PnP that uses this personality system.
(d20 is fine, just cut this shit out, the only thing it's good for are those macros)

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Meh, I'm not too excited. Even if the game turns out to be half way good (which I highly doubt), it's still going to have Ubishit DRM which is a no-go for me.
As far as I know their former DRM was removed (even from older titles which had it). Now their games "only" require one-time online activation and UPlay client. Beside uselessness this is basically same system as Steam.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As far as I know their former DRM was removed (even from older titles which had it). Now their games "only" require one-time online activation and UPlay client. Beside uselessness this is basically same system as Steam.
Yeah, but I've already caught Steam. I have no desire to enlarge my collection of maladies.

bonescraper

Visually, this game is pretty shit (and that's pretty much the only thing we know for sure at this point) - even if there is indeed similarity to early M&Ms (which I don't really see), a style that works with low-colour, low-res 2D pixel art doesn't necessarily work in modern detailed 3D.

In terms ofgameplay, while TB blobber is vastly preferable to RT one, and while it is a really good solution to party based combat, it doesn't alone imply that the game won't be shit.
While technically it is pretty shit, it's just pleasant too look at. On the other hand, i just can't stand TW3's forced grimdarkiness (oh look, it's an endless night, we're mature as fuck!) and Skyrimesque landscapes. Twitchers art direction has changed far for the worse since the original game. TW3's screenshots failed to spark any interest in me so far.

And TB blobbers, even mediocre ones, will always be more fun than underdeveloped third person slashers in my book.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm disgusted at the way bros like Sceptic, Jaesun and the rest are now falling over themselves, sucking each others' and UbiSHIT's dick(s) in ecstasy when all we have gotten so far is a couple of screenshots about a game set in the turd universe of Heroes of Turd and Turgic 6.

Also talk of 'oldschool' but what evidence do we have of that? The actual setting seems like a limited crap: 'in and around Karthal'? Sounds like it's going to be a few maps stitched together on the cheap to try and cash in on Grimrock's appeal. Remember that so many were whining that Grimrock is oh so great(when it came out) but would be better in TB! Right here, RIGHT HERE ON THE CODEX!

It's appalling the high fiving and general joy this thing is getting, being made as it is by a cheap bunch of coolies from Krautland, whos previous accolades including making expansions for HOMM6 and the F2P BROWSER MMO Dungeon Empires.

Here's Dungeon Empires which also shows the engine that will be used for M&M X(so a cheap recycle of a browser based engine):
1530208281.jpg
1530207734.jpg

1530209171.jpg

So fuck you all. Also no JVC=no M&M.

And again since I posted, more shit about OMG a AAA piublisher is making a blobber! What AAA publisher? What blobber? I bet whatever this cost Ubisoft it will be LESS than what inXile or Obsidian are paying for their games! Just cause it's a so-called AAA publisher doesn't mean we are going to get a well funded quality game. Ubisoft and others also release cheap DS games, fund web browser shit etc. This is just an attempt to ride the coattails of KS on the cheap and see if there's a market worth investing in.

Fuck, AoD didn't get as big a free ride from the Codex as Ubisoft does!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom