Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hell is freezing over: Ubisoft's Might & Magic X is actually a blobber

Tel Prydain

Augur
I’m not sure that this is the end of the decline so much as we’ve just hit rock-bottom and started to level out…
It was only a matter of time before game budgets got too big and publishers got sick of investing millions into titles that had to please all the peoples in order to make their money back. Most of the publishers started selling games back when any gaming at all was a niche market, and when AAA titles started to hit critical mass it’s not surprising that one of them decided that perhaps it wouldn’t be a bad idea to try that again.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
The incline isn't quite here yet, but it started a year ago. I dunno, what's better: being hopeful or being a bitter and cynical fuck?

That sounds exactly like what people told me when I said Fallout 3 was going to be shit.

Anyway, in this case I'm not even advocating hatred, just cautioning against excessive optimism, declaring incline before anything concrete has been produced. I'm seeing more unrestrained optimism here than on the boards Codexers claim to look down on as popamole publisher cocksuckers. I'm not just talking about the M&M X announcement either. catfood's post seemed fairly reasonable on the other hand.

Do you bros aspire to be to GRPGD what WCDS is to the Politics subforum?

If so, I'd like to call dibs on the Lyric Suite position, getting all posts fisted while almost never giving them out in return.
But seriously, people agreeing in one thread is enough to look like WCDS to you?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm seeing more unrestrained optimism here than on the boards Codexers claim to look down on as popamole publisher cocksuckers.

Isn't that because the game doesn't look like next-gen popamole and that's why they don't like it?

Whatever. It will probably suck. Or ỉ̵̯̱͈͍̏̅ͫ̅͂͘ͅţ̭̰̫̞͚̳͖ͨͯ̓ͬ͗ͨ̆͛͢'̓ͬ͏̶͕͢s̴̺̳̜̟̦̗̳̋ ̸̠̹͉͖̼̭ͬ̓͂́c̫͔̳̠̞͙͈͓͔̃̈ͯ͟o̶͇̰̽͌͋m̅̓̔͐͏̲̝̪͇̣i̶͙͉̠̓̎n̵̹̟͙̣̿̔̚g̰͇͈͙̯̠̪̭̒ͮͧͭͨ̓͑̂͝͡

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bruticis those are consoltards of the worst kind, playing an FPS with a gamepad... I don't see the relation with "European PC gaming market".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
just cautioning against excessive optimism

It's being Published by UBISoft. :lol: We are not stupid. SO FAR, it sounds good. But as stated earlier CODEX DEFON is just set to FAPPING CAUTIOUSLY. The odd's of this reaching INCLINE are low however.

I just need more specific info on the class/race/skill and abilities personally.

Gozma

Arcane
Try to think of all the other shit they can fuck up by not getting what M&M is about:

findable permanent stat increases, except the bonuses are on a logarithmic scale that makes the boosts mean much more at low values than high

lots of clever skill/spell gating with multiple bypasses and a network of hints to come across that point you to other areas of interest

Just a huge number of ways this could look good all the way up until you play the first area and you realize they had no idea what they were doing

I generally have a "What the shit is going on" attitude based on old 2000s era Codexing and the totalitarian AAA model, not a "Hey this looks amazing" attitude.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Might & Magic X Legacy is an authentic solo experience

:thumbsup:

Regardless of how this may eventually turn out just the thought of a AAA publisher promoting a single-player, turn-based, (possibly) grid-based blobber is newsworthy in an of itself. I mean really, who here would of thought this possible a little more than a year ago.... well...? As others have stated this might start a trend that will lead to many others trying to capture this "old school" market. Will they get it right all the time? Nope, probably miss more often than not... BUT at least they will be shooting in the right direction. Even in the Golden Era of our beloved cRPG days gone by there were more duds than gems but because so many were making cRPGs probability dictated that some of them would be good. Hopefully that is what we are seeing here. As always, as with the Kickstarter craze, time will tell if we are truly living in the rebirth of the :incline:.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

If so, I'd like to call dibs on the Lyric Suite position, getting all posts fisted while almost never giving them out in return.
But seriously, people agreeing in one thread is enough to look like WCDS to you?

It is not the agreement my dear brother, but the manner in which it's expressed.

Rake

Arcane
The incline isn't quite here yet, but it started a year ago. I dunno, what's better: being hopeful or being a bitter and cynical fuck?

That sounds exactly like what people told me when I said Fallout 3 was going to be shit.

Anyway, in this case I'm not even advocating hatred, just cautioning against excessive optimism, declaring incline before anything concrete has been produced. I'm seeing more unrestrained optimism here than on the boards Codexers claim to look down on as popamole publisher cocksuckers. I'm not just talking about the M&M X announcement either. catfood's post seemed fairly reasonable on the other hand.

I haven't even played a M&M game( i loathe first person) but i'm positive for this. Hell, i maybe even buy it even if know that i won't play it. The point is that if Ubisoft has reasonable profit from the game they maybe realize that in the age of 100M$ AAA games, it's not a bad decision to spent 2M$ (pocket change for them) to hire a studio to make a more niche title. Even if you only make a small profit, it's still profit, you generate goodwill among buyers, and you maybe lucky and produse a Minecraft down the road.
It's the first good decision from an AAA publiser that has people excited and not the game itself. Same with the kickstarter. Some companies i trust, most are unproven. But it's the intend that matters more in this case. I don't believe that the devs around the world are complete idiots who can't recognise a good game. The problem is that they don't intend to make (what most of us consider) good games.
So this is a step in the right direction.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't even played a M&M game( i loathe first person) but i'm positive for this. Hell, i maybe even buy it even if know that i won't play it. The point is that if Ubisoft has reasonable profit from the game they maybe realize that in the age of 100M$ AAA games, it's not a bad decision to spent 2M$ (pocket change for them) to hire a studio to make a more niche title. Even if you only make a small profit, it's still profit, you generate goodwill among buyers, and you maybe lucky and produse a Minecraft down the road.
It's the first good decision from an AAA publiser that has people excited and not the game itself. Same with the kickstarter. Some companies i trust, most are unproven. But it's the intend that matters more in this case. I don't believe that the devs around the world are complete idiots who can't recognise a good game. The problem is that they don't intend to make (what most of us consider) good games.
So this is a step in the right direction.

:bro:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hell, i maybe even buy it even if know that i won't play it."

Your entire post is retarted but this idiotic line sums up your braindeadness.

Bruticis

And IF it is shit when it's released and gets horrible reviews and abysmal sales figures....Do you think Ubisoft is going to say, "Oh damn, we shouldn't have used those German Facebook clowns!" or will they say, "Just as we thought, there is no market for this type of game anymore and the KS stuff is just a passing fad, time to roll out Assassins Creed 14".

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ashan, the most bland, generic high fantasy setting there could ever be, when they could've gone with the weirdness of Xeen.

Not really sure whether they understand their franchise.
It's Ubi, of course they don't. The fact is that they are trying to tackle this unknown problem of designing an FP TB blobber, so of course they are going with the blandest safest setting possible.

Stabwound

Arcane
Ashan, the most bland, generic high fantasy setting there could ever be, when they could've gone with the weirdness of Xeen.

Not really sure whether they understand their franchise.
They take M&M as serious business! Every game has to fall into the little setting they came up with. Meh.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
How about Ubisoft giving Swen Vincke enough cash to let Larian make their grand RPG.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Some people are missing the point. How is this development not better than what we had yesterday?

I swear, some people would like things to stick to just how it was the last 10 years; no games to discuss, just cover-shooter after cover-shoot and a nice, safe place to hate everything.. Bunch of fucking flagellants.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm in fear of a very lackluster Skill/Ability and magic system.

I wonder if they will be as = to the ones in the original or more?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom