Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hell is freezing over: Ubisoft's Might & Magic X is actually a blobber

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
WELL WELL WELL

Looks like Roguey's REALISTIC THINKING won out once again over KNEEJERK PESSIMISM. I was right, ya'll were wrong. Nyahs and neeners.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It has to AT LEAST at a bare minimum have a Skill and Magic System that is equal to the original, that was what made the game a blast to play. I'm afraid "NEW RULES" == streamlined, minimal skill and magic system.

cautiously fapping...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WELL WELL WELL

Looks like Roguey's REALISTIC THINKING won out once again over KNEEJERK PESSIMISM. I was right, ya'll were wrong. Nyahs and neeners.

Yep. Now it's time for you to find reasons to shit on this game.

Step 1: Bland patriarchal Europelandia high fantasy Dullsville.

MetalCraze

Arcane
:roll:

Smooth. You know very well what I meant.

Honestly - I don't.

All I see is everyday whining about how Evil Publishers ruin gaming, how they rape old series and are just dumb retarded suits who can only pack Mountain Dew bottles to bribe journos with them - and then the moment a non-descriptive trailer drops with a quite possible rape of a game that was like a Call of Duty of RPGs that facebook game devs were hired to do - it's ZOMG END OF DECLINE I luv u Evil Publisher

Because man M&M is totally not something any retard can play unlike Wiz8 and RoA

Shadenuat

Arcane
What's their budget? On the rise of "old school" success and kickstarters, publishers acceptance to niche market will grow, but how far away will it go from throwing cheap labour on mobile games, we can't say for sure. They are re-using same art style and, who knows, maybe even monster models, just now you'll fight them in first person with four "heroes".

As crazy dark elf mystic said:
Zan_Alurin.jpg
"Caution is the cloak of the wise"

:hmmm:

Yes I just let my "I DONT KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE" phase to steam out before I've written anything

Also, inb4 "old school!" will become new marketing language's "visceral!".

St. Toxic

Arcane
It's a turn-based dungeon crawler, no matter how streamlined they make that shit. People were probably expecting a diablo-clone with elements from gta, cover mechanics, Patrick Stewart in the intro and an in-game online store, so of course the mere idea of game design that at the very least is reminiscent of M&M managed to shock people. Yeah, it'll probably be shit, but at least it's not the 'new shit'.

bonescraper

Woah, this caught me off guard. It totally looks like a low-budget game though (by today's standards), so they're definitely playing it safe. And it most likely will sell better than their recent AAA ports (GR:FS sold somewhere around 200k units at best). I just don't expect them to keep this trend up for long. They fucking destroyed my beloved Silent Hunter after all. Still, i really hope this game won't be as dull, banal and shit as Grimrock. Well, it's turn based for starters, so that alone makes it better... and you really can't get more basic and casual than Grimcock, can you?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
If HoMM5 and 6 are any indication the game's combat and skill system promises to be fun and take alot from previous series. The voice acting and story, however...

Can you imagine getting paycheck for this?

Stabwound

Arcane
They still release Heroes of Might & Magic games, and seem to be pretty serious about the franchise.

Best case scenario, this manages to turn out decent-to-great, meets sales requirements, and gets good reviews. We could theoretically expect more M&M games after this one. Saying that's a bad thing is just being stupid or trolling.

Repressed Homosexual
Also my other main concern is that they take the game in a mature, dark and edgy direction, when the original games were fun to play because of the silly Monty Pythonesque tone and amusing geek references.

At least the bad guy doesn't look dark and edgy.

Exar Kun

Scholar
The game looks beautiful. I'm totally going to play a dwarf if this doesn't suck.

I feel like with the success of the P:E, T:ToN, and WL2 kickstarters devs are starting to realize people actually want good rpgs. So wierd to see Ubisoft making this, especially after AC which is quite linear and far cry 3 which is very similar to skyrim.

Rake

Arcane
From the unholy trinity, i always considered Ubisoft the lesser evil. EA takes the crown.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ubisoft producing an actual TB dungeon crawler alone is incline, regardless of how the game will turn out. Of course there's a high change it'll end up being a dumbed down piece of shit but just the chance of this producing more interest in the genre is worth some excitement.

Also my other main concern is that they take the game in a mature, dark and edgy direction, when the original games were fun to play because of the silly Monty Pythonesque tone and amusing geek references.

At least the bad guy doesn't look dark and edgy.

What does the screenshots telll you?

Achilles

Arcane
Way to go Ubisoft! Credit where credit is due, it takes massive balls for a triple-A publisher to greenlight a blobber in this day and age. They are the first one to realize that there are other avenues to make money except betting the company each time on the latest AAA shitfest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom