Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helldivers 2

lonicera

Novice
This game, at first glance, seems to be both thematically and mechanically extremely similar to Deep Rock Galactic. For someone with a fair amount of time into that game, would this game be sufficiently distinct to be enjoyable? Or is it just more of the same?

Hell Swarm

Educated
This game, at first glance, seems to be both thematically and mechanically extremely similar to Deep Rock Galactic. For someone with a fair amount of time into that game, would this game be sufficiently distinct to be enjoyable? Or is it just more of the same?
It's a repetitive 3rd person shooter based on starship troopers. You know exactly what it is going on and it lives up to that. Gets a bit boring after a while because they do nothing to spice up the gameplay. You have squishy bugs with chargers and giant things and then robots who are damn near unkillable and 1 shot you if you fail to wipe out the cannon fodder fast enough. It relies on grinding to upgrade stuff with little fresh content over it's play time. Fun for what it is but it feels like a slog unlocking things since every mission is effectively identical.

Gerrard

Arcane
The other day I found out that an eclipse of the sun is something that can happen while in a mission, pretty nice detail.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Put about 9 hours in. Will probably be different when playing with people who are at higher levels, but so far the difficulty spike from 3 to 4-5 seems intense. 3 is a walk in the park with barely any spawns, but above that you better hope your squadmates aren't eating paste while playing..

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I'd say its different enough, but if you dont have a friend or three to play with it might get a bit shit. Ran first time in Linux for me, so thats a plus on my ledger. Its as over the top as DRG with its worldbuilding, sadly no beers, so it loses a point there.

These in game advertisments that run on your ship should give you an idea of the absurdity

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Is this enjoyable with 2-3 players and does it have a good lobby where you can setup the game with selected people, or does it have some fixed squad size that gets filled with random people?

Gerrard

Arcane
Is this enjoyable with 2-3 players and does it have a good lobby where you can setup the game with selected people, or does it have some fixed squad size that gets filled with random people?
You can set your game to public or friends only, there is no way to lock it to specific players. Also the game does not scale with number of players.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
You can set your game to public or friends only, there is no way to lock it to specific players. Also the game does not scale with number of players.
Thx for the info. I am always looking for co-op games for 2-3 players in particular local co-op, but it seems this game is not a perfect match.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Thx for the info. I am always looking for co-op games for 2-3 players in particular local co-op, but it seems this game is not a perfect match.
You can pick whom you invite to play from your steam/playstation friends list, so you can be selective and just votekick the guy who just drops in from your friends list, its said that difficulty does not scale but one guy can stealth around, 4 guys tend to stumble into every patrol and camp on the map like a lumbering drunken pubcrawl. Solo is viable with lots of stress which means a duo and trio would be also, expanding the toolkit you all bring to the mission and increasing the prospect of shenanigans.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So what exactly is the endgame?

Doesn't seem like it would take that long to grind through to get all the useful gear. Looks like some of the best stratagems/weapons can be accessed by level 10 or so.

Artyoan

Arbiter
So what exactly is the endgame?

Doesn't seem like it would take that long to grind through to get all the useful gear. Looks like some of the best stratagems/weapons can be accessed by level 10 or so.
There is still quite a grind though, which is fine given that the gameplay is great. I've played it for 80 hours and am nearing the end of my ship upgrades with samples. Still a lot of medals I could get for armor/weapons/capes/emotes and random other things in the warbonds.

My only real complaint about this game is that it is buggy and it crashes. I've crashed at least a couple dozen times. Once they clean this up though it is genuinely fun to just jump into some missions, even with random people.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You can have mortar turrets. Mortar turrets shoot at enemy. When enemy jumps at your party and you fight for your lives... Massive explosion shoots most of your party.

What not to like?

I'm only wondering if this has sufficient gameplay to last when new factor would wear out. A lot of multiplayer games are basically forgotten half year later.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Gave this a try and asked for a refund after 3 hours.
I normally like the whole genre of team of jingoistic soldiers vs hordes of aliens but this one didn't click for me for a whole bunch of reasons which i guess are more to do with subjective taste then anything else.

It just made me wish i was playing EDF for calling in big guns and vehicles or Starship Troopers Extermination for mowing down bugs and a better extraction system.

RetardedChimp

Novice
Was able to play one mission and haven't been able to join a lobby since. Turning off crossplay doesn't fix it. Quickplay doesn't work either.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Gave this a try and asked for a refund after 3 hours.
I normally like the whole genre of team of jingoistic soldiers vs hordes of aliens but this one didn't click for me for a whole bunch of reasons which i guess are more to do with subjective taste then anything else.

It just made me wish i was playing EDF for calling in big guns and vehicles or Starship Troopers Extermination for mowing down bugs and a better extraction system.

This game makes me wish Starship Troopers Extermination had this level of polish. I think I enjoyed that more than Helldivers 2.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
When I first started playing I thought 7 difficulty was hard.

Now I'm playing 9 and it's EZ, gg.

Shield + railgun for bots, rover + EATs for bugs, game done.

I honestly don't know what this game has for staying power, it's so repetitive.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The game was good fun for about 23 hours but I feel done with it unless there’s some major shake-ups. If Deep Rock didn’t shoot itself in the foot with that constant Pox shit I would probably pick it up again in it’s place as a bubblegum game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Nerf Shield, nerf rovers. Sick of seeing them in every loadout.

If you nerf the backpack strats people will just use autocannon for everything.

The problem with the game is that it's just a proc-gen map running sim. It's not like the old battlefield games since at least there, the real player dynamics and high player count keep things interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom