Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hellgate London Officially Announced

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Flagship Studios; Hellgate: London

Hellgate London has been officially announced. Following the announcement is an official <a href=http://www.hellgatelondon.com/>teaser website</a> and a bunch of screenshots which you can check out at <a href=http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/hellgatelondon/20050426/>Blue's News</a>. Hellgate London is the RPG in development by Flagship Studios, which consists of the core founders of Blizzard North and the creators of the Diablo series. I'm not talking about a bunch of QA jerkoffs like those who went to CLICK Entertainment, either. These guys are for real.
<br>
<blockquote>SANTA CLARA, Calif., (April 27, 2005) – Leading games publisher and developer Namco Hometek Inc. today announced HELLGATE: LONDON, the first original PC title from premier developer Flagship Studios. HELLGATE: LONDON is a role-playing game set in the immersive first-person perspective. With a completely randomised world that offers a unique experience every time you play, HELLGATE: LONDON introduces a demon-ridden world where the last survivors of the human race must meld science and magic to survive.
<br>
<br>
"HELLGATE: LONDON is an incredibly ambitious title that will break the mold of conventional role-playing games," said Nobuhiro Kasahara, President and CEO of Namco Hometek, Inc. "With Flagship Studios' unprecedented experience, we are confident that HELLGATE: LONDON will be one of the most anticipated PC games ever."
<br>
<br>
"With our first game, we intend to create something unique in the world of RPGs," said Bill Roper, CEO and co-founder of Flagship Studios. "By focusing our expertise and creative energy onto this one title, we are crafting a compelling world that combines massive amounts of randomization and
<br>
customisation to offer infinite replayability."
<br>
<br>
Set twenty-five years in the future, HELLGATE: LONDON introduces a world devastated by a demon invasion and a desolate city scorched by hellfire where mankind has gone underground to survive. Among them are the Templar, an archaic and secret society that foresaw this demonic apocalypse centuries ago. Followers of arcane rites, the Templar combine futuristic technology with ancient artifacts to forge powerful weapons and armor. The mystic sanctuary of the Underground system provides players safe conduct throughout the sprawling metropolis of London as they seek to preserve the bloodline of man and gain a foothold against the minions of darkness.
<br>
<br>
HELLGATE: LONDON combines the depth of role-playing games and action of first-person titles, while offering infinite playability with randomly created levels, items, and events. The player creates a heroic character, completes quests, and battles through innumerable hordes of demons to advance through experience levels and branching skill paths. A robust, flexible skill and spell system, highly customizable appearances, and a massive variety of randomly generated equipment allow players to create their own unique hero. For more information about the game log onto www.hellgatelondon.com</blockquote>
<br>
Excited? Fuck yeah. Hellgate London: The ultimate roguelike.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
First person view? Bah. The game already sucks, then.

Spazmo

Erudite
Looks mildly interesting, though I find action RPGs aren't worth shit without something like Battle.net. Single player Diablo 2 is good for about a weekend. Playing online lasted me a couple years.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
IM the one hwo told exit about this info. Isnt this the equivlent of plagarism?

Anyways the game looks like shit....for now.

geminito

Liturgist
Hell again?

Do these guys have any other ideas besides hell and demons? Do we have to kill "the devil" or a big red demon boss at the end of the game again?

/yawn

Maybe the boss will be a female red demon this time, with big breasts. Innovation in the RPG genre at last.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I never got into Diablo, but this one might be fun from an action viewpoint... I had a lot of fun with Serious Sam. Anyways, looks like it has potential, though doesn't seem to be the sort of RPG I'm after.

Kuato

Liturgist
they are really pushing the art style from 7th grade Doom3 skulls, demons and pentagrams much further to a more refreshing style of 4th grade skulls, demons and pentagrams.

MarFish

Liturgist
"With Flagship Studios' unprecedented experience, we are confident that Hellgate: London will be one of the most anticipated PC games ever."

Let the free rides begin!

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The first concept art, the one of the demon chick. Well, she looks like some chick I bedded down at a fetish party. A real freak in the bed. Anyway, they got my attention. :wink:
Edit: Serious Sam RULEZ! Also, anyone have any idea about stuff like the quests, or will we get experience from killing monsters AND completing quests, or just one? Also, what about a multiplayer Battle.Net type thing?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"With our first game, we intend to create something unique in the world of RPGs," said Bill Roper, CEO and co-founder of Flagship Studios.
Unique? Oooh... It's like Diablo in London! How is that unique? Nobody's done Diablo in London before! Oh... :roll:

kris

Arcane
Locue said:
"With our first game, we intend to create something unique in the world of RPGs," said Bill Roper, CEO and co-founder of Flagship Studios.
Unique? Oooh... It's like Diablo in London! How is that unique? Nobody's done Diablo in London before! Oh... :roll:

The unique thing is that they do this in first person view! Noone want to do that nowadays.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Hmm, I idd also hope they put some decent multiplayer in it too. Screens don't look that bad for a relatively short development time.

EDIT: more info at IGN it seems.

taks

Liturgist
Re: Hell again?

geminito said:
Do these guys have any other ideas besides hell and demons? Do we have to kill "the devil" or a big red demon boss at the end of the game again?
well, ya got bioware and dragons, interplay and dragons (uh, had), diablo and demons... you need one more demon maker to balance things out. besides, every other attempt that doesn't have a demon or a dragon, fails. that's just what we the crowd want...

actually, this setting sounds like demons meet post-apoc in a weird way. of course, nearly every developer is going to "revolutionize rpg gaming!" with the next title... oh wait, no, the one after that... really. that one.

taks

Surlent

Liturgist
I hope they get to make at least some alpha version for E3. It would be cool to see (from websites' coverage) how this play's like already in next month instead of just few teaser movies.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
kris said:
Locue said:

The unique thing is that they do this in first person view! Noone want to do that nowadays.
Jesus! First person view and London! Flagship is truly bringing us the next revolution of roleplaying!

LlamaGod

Cipher
Atleast there will be an excuse for the 'Obligatory person who speaks British to make them sound like they are smart' thats in every FPS.

"HELLGATE: LONDON is an incredibly ambitious title that will break the mold of conventional role-playing games"

I'm curious what mold there is to break, there hasnt been a 'conventional role-playing game' in quite awhile and its not as if we are all just bogged down by them. Hell, there is barely even games that are the base examples of an RPG that have come out in the last year.

I wish PR people would decide on what 'immersive' really means already, it's either 3rd person, first person, trees, or the Unreal Engine.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Its goddamn funny seeing Rex being so positive about this title considering amount of PR water in this post. Gosh, there are like 3-4 quotes codex staff would usually make fun of. Whats so different about HG:L?

kris

Arcane
Exitium said:
I'll say it again: first. person. roguelike.

Makes me think of Ultima underground, but that didn't have random dungeons AFAI remember. Doom with a skilltree. I will probably become motionsick from it, but that is no excuse for others not liking it.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
The real news here, and a prediktshun for TEH FEWCHAR:

Roper & Co. leaves Blizzard. Roper & Co., chained by the success of Diablo, is forced to continue to make Diablo clones. Roper & Co. looks in the mirror and realizes it's lost all artistic and intellectual freedom. Roper & Co. hangs itself.

Four lords of gaming have become four lords of the cash-cow sequel. Retire already.

Roper even called the guns spell-delivery devices for crissakes. Let's not forget that. He might as well have typed "OMG, don't worry, u cna still play a sorc n a barb n a pally in teh n00 g4m3 lol!!11!! Itz just that Bliz, dey 0wnz the Diablo IP now cuz we wuz suqx0rzzz!"

Hellgate: Who Cares.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
PennyAnte said:
The real news here, and a prediktshun for TEH FEWCHAR:

Roper & Co. leaves Blizzard. Roper & Co., chained by the success of Diablo, is forced to continue to make Diablo clones. Roper & Co. looks in the mirror and realizes it's lost all artistic and intellectual freedom. Roper & Co. hangs itself.

Four lords of gaming have become four lords of the cash-cow sequel. Retire already.

Roper even called the guns spell-delivery devices for crissakes. Let's not forget that. He might as well have typed "OMG, don't worry, u cna still play a sorc n a barb n a pally in teh n00 g4m3 lol!!11!! Itz just that Bliz, dey 0wnz the Diablo IP now cuz we wuz suqx0rzzz!"

Hellgate: Who Cares.
That's weak. For one thing, Hellgate's different than any other game out there and for once, there's some actual innovation involved. Beats having to play through all those wannabe Baldur's Gate clones that are released every now and then.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Exitium said:
... there's some actual innovation involved.
Show me.

All I see so far is better level/encounter randomization than Diablo and a cooler backstory. The first is a minor technical evolution, the second is nice, but peripheral.

At worse, this is a D2 reskin. At best, this a D2 remix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom