Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find a GOOD tactical rpg please.

Outmind

Augur
Like the title suggests, i need advice on any good tactical rpg you can mention. Problem is, i've played a lot of them, and have found most to be lacking. Maybe the problem is that i measure every single one against final fantasy tactis a2, which imho is the best game in the genre. I adore it, and would like to find something as close in quallity to it as possible. Please restrict your suggestions to psx and newer, as i don't really want to go as old as tactics ogre.

Here are some of the games i've already played, in order of me liking them:

Eternal poison - if you don't count the original ff tactics, the 2nd best game in the genre i've come accross - interesting and challenging system, good atmosphere, all in alll nice.

Fire emblem (sega) - good tactical side, but poor in the ammount of character customization

Disgaea, and pretty much every other atlus trpg - good but too tiresome due to the grind.

Vandal hearts - the weakest of the lot, combat takes getting used to, and all it all it wasn't satisfying for me.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Jagged Alliance 2.

You can thank me later. I see you're into jRPG's, but give this game a chance, it has the best squad combat and a well-implemented setting.

edit: WTF, I'm posting in some JRPG subsecion!? This is what one gets when you use the links on the front page. Damn, Codex, why?!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Disgaea, and pretty much every other atlus trpg - good but too tiresome due to the grind.
no disgaea requires grind for finishing it, getting most of the alternative endings or ng+ shiznit.

and i second ja2.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Try Jagged Alliance 2, Devil Survivor or Valkyria Chronicles.

as i don't really want to go as old as tactics ogre
You're probably talking about Ogre Battle, because there's Tactics Ogre games for the PSX and for the GBA, both are fantastic, still look good and you really should try them...

Also, is Eternal Poison really that good? I only heard bad thing about it...

mondblut

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2.

edit: WTF, I'm posting in some JRPG subsecion!? This is what one gets when you use the links on the front page. Damn, Codex, why?!

Both lines deserve a separate brofist on their own. I now feel tainted from clicking that link.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
mainly because all the front missions are easy as fuck.

betamin

Learned
I get tired of mentioning it but final fantasy tactics with the 1.3 mod.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Vanguard Bandits. Difficulty will vary a lot depending on how you play and which route you take. Derpy setting (magical giant robots) but pretty cool otherwise.

Brigandine is fun too. I find the difficulty laughable but I've played it a ton and remember having some trouble when I played it the first time. Play ironman if it's too easy for you.

Outmind

Augur
I did play a demo of ja2 when it first came out, and never bothered to pick it up again. I heard there was some kind of revival / mod which makes it even more interesting. Any ideas on that?

As for putting this thread in the jrpg subsection, i did it because the tactical rpg sub-genre is most prevalent in Japanese games. Apart from ja and xcom, i don't even know that any other western rpg-s of this type exist.

I played front mission 3, it was decent i guess, but nothing special. I might pick up 4 or 5 though. Which is the better one?

Deuxhero - yeah, my bad, it was for the gamecube. I played it on an emulator and didn't remember which system it was on.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Fuck is easy? In your mind only, shirley?

FM 3 is just a little bit too easy, and lacks a difficulty slider to begin with. But other than that, awesome game. Just try to obtain every platinum reward if you want some challenge.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jagged Alliance 2 is a must, also Silent Storm its like JA only with ability to destroy pretty much everything and set in WW2.

You could also try Fallout Tactics, and maybe Spellforce but that is more of a RTS/RPG hybrid and not too tactical.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Outmind

If you liked FFT a2, try the original FFT (for PSX). It's pretty good, and is considered by many as one of the best games for that platform. Also Tactics Ogre: LUCT can be easily simulated on PSX as well. Both games look gorgeous as they are.

JA2 with 1.13 patch is probably the closest you'll get in an RPG to a tactical challenge. It has flaws like somewhat shitty AI, but is an excellent game nonetheless.

lightbane

Arcane
I played front mission 3, it was decent i guess, but nothing special. I might pick up 4 or 5 though. Which is the better one?

IF you can, both. But if you only wish to obtain one, 5 is the one to go with. Consider Front Mission First (DS) if you desire more giant robot action.

Ermm

Erudite
Vanguard Bandits. Difficulty will vary a lot depending on how you play and which route you take. Derpy setting (magical giant robots) but pretty cool otherwise.

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Story was not that bad, and I completed it like 10 times on PSOne. It was piss easy after I mastered it.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Maybe the problem is that i measure every single one against final fantasy tactis a2, which imho is the best game in the genre.

I get tired of mentioning it but final fantasy tactics with the 1.3 mod.

the 1.3 mod

130610880759.jpg

Outmind

Augur
I finished ffta. It was a brilliant game, but ffta2 kept all the good bits and expanded on them, so it has become my benchmark since.

As for the original tactics, idk, i didn't enjoy it as much, primarily because of the way skills were gained, and because of a smaller selection of jobs to choose from. I know it was the one responsible for ffta in the first place, i just didn't like it as much.

J1M

Arcane
I finished ffta. It was a brilliant game, but ffta2 kept all the good bits and expanded on them, so it has become my benchmark since.

As for the original tactics, idk, i didn't enjoy it as much, primarily because of the way skills were gained, and because of a smaller selection of jobs to choose from. I know it was the one responsible for ffta in the first place, i just didn't like it as much.
Tactics Ogre: GBA Edition is essentially another FFTA game.

If you are looking for more of the same, that is your best bet.

damicore

Augur
Good list, but very incomplete....no classic stuff like JA2, FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre or any Atlus game like Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, World Eaters, etc... is like he only did the B-Side...
He's got an explanation for not including most of those games, he doesn't like fft, tactics ogre or the NIS games AFAIK and he's got his reasons in the comments I think.
From what i read from him he seems to have his own definition of what's tactical and what's not.
Still worth checking as most of those games are b-sides, as you said, and not really well known. He even has a subsection with japanese only games there.
As for JA not being included I have no clues about it, but he's mostly into japanese games it seems.

Also, he updates his blog fairly often, he just posted about FM2 and a fire emblem like game for the psx getting a fan translation like one week ago? I don't really know, never really tried FM games and I played my last fire emblem game when I was like 12 or 13 but the post is quite recent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom