Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Help revive the dungeon crawler! (again) - The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is LIVE

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
550k+ $ and 12,5k backers in few hours. So much for kickstarter fatigue

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This game is a blobber you know that right

Yeah. Separate observation from the general thrust of the thread, pertaining to Wasteland 2 and inXile's aptitude for making RPGs.

It might have been faintly ambiguous because I was half responding to a range of posters that I didn't quote and the ideas kind of blended together.

cepheiden

Educated
A random fuckboy that makes a gay ass movie gets hundred thousands pledged in a day.
A dedicated enthusiastic team that gives a solid first gameplay impression and solid, reasonable financial planning can't even get 50k.

You really think you will get a $45 game for pledging 20? What a bunch of fools.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah. Separate observation from the general thrust of the thread, pertaining to Wasteland 2 and inXile's aptitude for making RPGs.

The idea is that this might be the game where they finally get it right.

throwaway

Cipher
Can't bring myself to be interested in a blobber. Wonder how good a deal that Wasteland 2 for 20$ is though.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The idea is that this might be the game where they finally get it right.

This or Torment. Both are conceptually sound.

Icewind Dale took the classic blobber dungeon crawler experience and distilled it into a isometric perspective RtwP game. To my understanding, inXile attempted to do something similar with Wasteland 2, except with turn-based combat.

Hence the first half of Wasteland II plays more like a turn-based Icewind Dale and the second half plays a bit more like Fallout.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And people didn't think they'd get $1.25 million...

Yeah, that's dumb. They don't realize that for a huge spectrum of gamers collecting huge digital libraries full of games is basically the game -- the real source of their amusement and delight.

KickStarter is like something that validates that choice by turning the purchasing of a game into an Internet spanning roar of the coliseum experience.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Yeah, that's dumb. They don't realize that for a huge spectrum of gamers collecting huge digital libraries full of games is basically the game -- the real source of their amusement and delight.

KickStarter is like something that validates that choice by turning the purchasing of a game into an Internet spanning roar of the coliseum experience.
No, they didn't realize Bard's Tale had a wider appeal than Wasteland.

Athelas

Arcane

No, they didn't realize Bard's Tale had a wider appeal than Wasteland.
Of course, it has nothing to do with this Kickstarter resting on the laurels of the previous two InXile kickstarters and the free game being given away.

This is also a better campaign, obviously, and I suspect that they will have more things to say and show during the mid-stretch of the campaign, something the Wl2 kickstarter was very much lacking in.

Last edited:

WalkinDude

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2014
Just in case anyone from Obsidian is reading here - If you guys had gone ahead and released a kickstarter for a cRPG I would've sent you the $103 I just donated to the Brian Fargo needs a suit fund. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Closing in on $600k. Will probably get at least $750k on day one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Keenan? Seems like the thing to do would be to wait until sea fixes the mess he leaves behind before getting this, just like last time.

Backed.

This sounds interesting and like a novel feature for rpgs:

The sense of discovery and mystery doesn’t stop with the environment. Many items hold their own secrets that you’ll need to discover by carefully examining them. Similar to the intriguing video game series The Room, by thoroughly studying special objects, you can unlock ways to enhance or modify their properties. After looting a chest, for instance, you might find a dagger with suspicious holes dotting the blade. After examining it closer and rotating two oddly shaped discs on the hilt of your newly found weapon, a small compartment opens revealing a clock-like dial. Twisting this dial properly and locking it into place, you notice a viscous poison dripping from the blade which will add additional damage to each attack.

Sounds like they were inspired by those Skyrim dragon claw puzzles.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sounds like they were inspired by those Skyrim dragon claw puzzles.
I was actually reminded of the Circle of Zerthimon from PS:T, though that was more of a dialog puzzle.
I don't know if Brian even played Skyrim haha.

This is an odd comparison but if there's one set of titles that you can tie it to, it's probably Fireproof Games' The Room 1 and 2 (for mobile devices). If you've played them you'll know what I mean.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

This is an odd comparison but if there's one set of titles that you can tie it to, it's probably Fireproof Games' The Room 1 and 2 (for mobile devices). If you've played them you'll know what I mean.
Hasn't Fargo been name dropping them in interviews?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

All those arrow in the knee refs in the Wasteland 2 beta and the man himself never touched it...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom