Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Help revive the dungeon crawler! (again) - The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is LIVE

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Early birded. Would play anyway, why not jump on the hype train right away?

Dorateen

Arcane
I don't care for the "dungeon crawl revival" rallying tagline, as others have pointed out, there have already been notable releases just in the past two years. Dungeon Crawlers don't need a revival, they have always been and always will be part of the RPG landscape.

I would rather a full-throated war cry: For the Dungeon Crawler and Great Glory!

Still, happy to see inXile pick up the torch and carry it onward.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Backed. They don't explicitly talk about monster recruiting, though, I hope it will be implemented.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I wasn't going to, but $20 for an early bird is too good to pass up. I would just end up wanting to play so bad day 1 I would pay full price, so why not. Too many good Bard's Tale memories, so nostalgia gets me to open my wallet once more.

aratuk

Cipher
Eh, weak pitch and I'm disappointed there's no prototype video... sure, it's a smarter move (vide Underworld), but they did boast about it on one of those pre-kickstarter interviews, Fargo saying that "BTIV makes Grimrock look like BT I"....

Fargo gonna Fargo, I guess. But it will surely succeed.

We all know they're going to mete out more details over the course of the Kickstarter. For Torment, they dropped the prototype video sometime in the middle of the fundraising. Keeps people interested, and gives the press a reason to write more articles whenever there's sufficiently interesting new information. If I recall, journalists have already been shown the prototype, but video hasn't been released publicly yet. As soon as that footage is up, it will be automatic newsposts from reporters who remember seeing it already. Fargo is pretty good at Kickstarter.

Last edited:

DarkArcher

Educated
This is clearly the type of project every RPG gamer wants to back, doesn't see enough in the video to believe in backing it, and then says what the hell I can back it at ~$20. We already own the Day 1 freebies and Backed Wasteland and Torment... no real joy. However, we're all hoping it turns out to be a fun game.

The one thing that surprises me is that developers try to tout the game has "secrets" as if they don't get posted in strategy guides and walkthroughs for launch day. Seriously, who won't figure out how to unlock the dagger's poison from the KS example?

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
I don't really have any money but I still early bird'd the collectors box tier

fuck it i'm going freegan next month i guess

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol at the KS comments asking for Cleve's involvement....

:D

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/964020112/comments

Please hire Cleveland Mark Blakemore. You know you want to.

Jun 2 2015 on The Bards Tale IV

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1812486625/comments

twincast - How can you deny Cleve's place in gaming history? More Cleve!!!

I hope for the stretch goal they reach out and hire Cleve Blakemore. He was quite the 'promoter' for the wizardry successor Kickstarter. More Cleve!!! Riggo and I are big fans.

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/riggo/comments

Corpselocker... Greetings friend! We have now mentioned Cleve by name three times... I thought that was supposed to summon him... Must have done something slightly wrong. :)

Evan Dawson... And who could forget the greatest game ever? Cleve's epic Grimoire!!! :-D

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Well, well.

Since I joined the Codex I have for the first time in my life bought a game before it's release which was Lords of Xulima and now backed my first game on the Kickstarter.

Thank you for posting the link and info and thank you Felipepe for getting my RPG juices flowing with your post about gaming history. I am a bit of a BT/ Ultima nut so here we go...

"For the fan who wants it all, without the shelf space. This reward tier comes with The History of the Bard tier, plus a 3 PACK OF THE BARD'S TALE IV DIGITAL NOVELLAS, a PREMIUM DIGITAL STRATEGY GUIDE, a digital version of the game's ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK by Julie Fowlis, Mark Morgan, and Ged Grimes, DIGITAL ART BOOK, DIGITAL MAP, and DIGITAL HI-RES WALLPAPER PACK – all in an easy-to-download form."

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Cleve comments... :lol:

I figure shouting Cleve in a gaming forum is equal to going to some random metal concert and shouting for Slayer. You know Slayer isn't playing, but you still shout anyway. More Cleve!!!

After our little Cleve summoning fest I decided to go check out his 2nd polishing campaign on Idiegogo... As of one month ago, he is still claiming to be working on the game and still threatening to release it. :)

Come on Brother None you know you want to ask Fargo to reach out to Cleve.........

Doktor Best

Arcane
All those cleve comments are written by himself i guess. I mean the guy is funny and all but you most certainly dont want him in inxile if you want to play dat bards tale before 2050.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So the guys who after two multimil kickstarters only delivered one very mediocre game go for a revival of what's probably the worst non-indie blobber out there and people throw money at them like mad? The world is surely doomed.

Wasteland II is getting an GOTY edition, so its not like they're resting on the laurels of mediocrity. Also, token, "California was better than Arizona, etc." Least shows inXile are learning animals.

Not really sure how well turn-based isometric works for dungeon crawlers, though. That Movement phase when they're are a lot of enemies on the map (and there are always a lot of enemies per dungeon) is just awful. The classic turn-based dungeon crawlers worked better as blobbers for that reason.

Turn-based might work better in Torment: Tides of Numenera for the same grognardy reasons it did in Fallout.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So the guys who after two multimil kickstarters only delivered one very mediocre game go for a revival of what's probably the worst non-indie blobber out there and people throw money at them like mad? The world is surely doomed.

Wasteland II is getting an GOTY edition, so its not like they're resting on the laurels of mediocrity.

Not really sure how well turn-based isometric works for dungeon crawlers, though. That Movement phase when they're are a lot of enemies on the map (and there are always a lot of enemies per dungeon) is just awful. The classic turn-based dungeon crawlers worked better as blobbers for that reason.

Turn-based might work better in Torment: Tides of Numenera for the same grognardy reasons it did in Fallout.

This game is a blobber you know that right

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom