Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Here are some things that put me off vanilla JA2.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What affects Interrupt except dexterity? How do you generally approach a hidden dick with CAWS who always interrupts you?

Also, is there a way to rotate merc on a spot without spending AP to actually move? It seems like LOS is very important especially for spotting but I can't figure it out.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
L is used for looking, it turns merc wherever you want him to turn.
Interrupts are governed by experience IIRC.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
What affects Interrupt except dexterity? How do you generally approach a hidden dick with CAWS who always interrupts you?

Also, is there a way to rotate merc on a spot without spending AP to actually move? It seems like LOS is very important especially for spotting but I can't figure it out.

LOS and Experience Level, largely.

LOS has been changed in 1.13 "limited Vision" in vanilla, it was 360° so you wouldn't have to constantly rotate your mercs. you could theoretically also use this Option in 1.13 i think.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
L is used for looking, it turns merc wherever you want him to turn.
Interrupts are governed by experience IIRC.
I believe that if you look towards the right direction - that'sone thing. But if you have your weapon up and ready, then you'll have a slightly higher chance of interruption, no? You can ready your weapon by holdin RMB in front of the merc, the hex turns red then. It costs additional AP though.

Shadenuat

Arcane
My first impression on taking on Meduna

81932688.jpg

Shadenuat
I didn't get to Meduna yet, but for me DS was much harder most of the time. And difficulty actually got lower, not highter after O&S.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Disagree. O&S was somewhat of one time thing, while add-on proved to be difficult as a whole. But I don't wanna to derail thread into DS lol.

Disagree. O&S was somewhat of one time thing, while add-on proved to be difficult as a whole. But I don't wanna to derail thread into DS lol.

Then the line should go high rapidly at the O&S point and soar down after it forming some sort of a spike. You know a difficulty spike.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Haha I remember when I first arrived at the outskirts of meduna only to be slaughtered by those tanks because I didnt have any AT equipment :D shame they are so entrenchend in their nests, isnt mobility a huge upside for tanks, perhaps missing driving animations?

Never seen a mortar squad in vanilla but in 1.13 they actually can rip your shit :)

I was checking Wildfire, which someone here recommendeed on the wiki. I'm convinced that whoever deisigned this crap it must've been retarded. They've replaced some of the old mercs with a bunch of Germans and Slavs. Which would be just bad but one of they mercs they've replaced was Gus Tarbals. Why in the world would they replace one of the best mercs pesonality-wise with some OC donut steel. loser. I just hope that they weren't based on the dev team because the thought of someone thinking that is's a good idea to replace Gus with himself is disturbing.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Seeing as how Wildfire was created as a mod first it wouldn't surprise me :P

My first impression on taking on Meduna

81932688.jpg

I'm at Meduna right now and it's honestly not that though. Sure it's must harder than the rest of the game, but tanks and mines are just a minor annoyance. The biggest threats are enemies with very high interrupt chances. Mines are easily rendered useless by a metal detector or an experienced merc in the front, and tanks are just sitting there in a tax-shaped bunkers you can see from afar.

Ya it never made much sense to me either that I was taking on an army and that I started with what amounts to some bb guns. Then again it the Rambo movies didn't make sense either. I just thoroughly immersed myself in the fights and the searching and hiring/funding my mercs while mostly forgetting the realism of it. Most games are like that.

BUT I think there's a limit to how far it'll go. Jar Jar Binks is the limit. The game has to be half serious.

I also don't like games which needlessly abstract everything. I like to explore. I like to search areas for clues or items. I liked to figure out when/where I was going to make my mercs sleep. Fatigue creates a problem to solve. Al those things just make the game fun for me. Of course, abstraction is necessary in games. Tetris is highly abstracted and still fun. That doesn't mean I want JA2 to be Tetris. Super Mario Brothers doesn't have an inventory system,but that doesn't mean I want JA2 to be like that. Some games can afford to be less abstracted just because that's what's expected. JA2 is not as easy to jump into and play as Super Mario Brothers is, but if you play JA2-like games enough, you catch on real quick. This is why games tend to follow each other. When games start to be different too much, it's a lot harder to settle in and get going, especially if they're less abstracted.

I've played all levels of abstraction. In MOO and MOO2 you directly control your fleets or even your individual ships. In Majesty Gold you indirectly control the characters ("ships") by giving rewards for certain tasks. You can also heal them if they're hurt - which was a fun part of the game for me. I played a game called Myst and it had no systems for combat or much of the other things I find in RPG or Strategy games. You just saw some pictures and monkeyed with some puzzles. It was still fun, even though it didn't have stats or inventory or anything else. I also have tried Sudoko and did some Crossword puzzles lately. When I was younger, I had some fun with board games. I'm glad there're lots of kinds of games and thy're not all the same.

Last edited:

Norfleet

In Majesty Gold you indirectly control the characters ("ships") by giving rewards for certain tasks. You can also heal them if they're hurt - which was a fun part of the game for me.
And, of course, turning around and bilking them out of the money you just paid them.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
There are already tons of games for you who complain that in JA2 you only get pistols right from the start, or that the range is too small.
I can understand that a lot people want to play JA2 "too", now that it has become such a colossal name. But I think if those people are wasting their time if they want it to be a more fast paced game.
Also, Unfinished Business had better guns at the start, and see how much that flopped in comparison. Why not try that first instead of criticizing JA2 for its progression curve, which is without the least doubt, absolutely and utterly brilliant? Do you realize that most JA2 vets activate "slow progression" because the fast progression ruins it for them? It's incredibly rewarding to get your first decent weapon in JA2 and the game makes that extremely slow, all the other games are just taking that away from you. Of course we want to begin the game with assault rifles but doing that in JA2 is like jerking off everytime before you go on a date with your gf. And lastly even in JA2 you can have long range weapons from the start, there are enough walktrhoughs how to get Lynx for example. I could do that too but prefer guys like Malice who are neither total crap nor total overkill, and slowly build them up (though Malice is a bad example, he is ignorant as fuck and unwilling to learn just like me)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom