Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Hideki Kamiya leaves Platinum Games

911 Jumper

Educated
Kamiya responds to comments
(English subs / 3 parts / runtime: 10-14 minutes each)

911 Jumper

Educated
so did he say anything of substance or the usual
This seems to be the main takeaway from his recent vid:

Hideki Kamiya expects Platinum to continue the Bayonetta series without him
“As I explained earlier, I worked on Bayonetta 1, 2, 3 and Origins,” he said. “I’ve talked about this in various interviews, that the Bayonetta series would consist of a total of nine episodes, and that I wanted to grow the franchise as the Bayonetta ‘Saga’, but it seems like I may have to take the full saga to the grave with me.

“It’s a shame. It’s not like I own the Bayonetta IP, but I suppose those who do will probably keep it going.”

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Now it's time to join up with Shinji Mikami, create Glover Studios, and create a God Hand 2.

We already have God Hand 2

“As I explained earlier, I worked on Bayonetta 1, 2, 3 and Origins,” he said. “I’ve talked about this in various interviews, that the Bayonetta series would consist of a total of nine episodes, and that I wanted to grow the franchise as the Bayonetta ‘Saga’, but it seems like I may have to take the full saga to the grave with me.

“It’s a shame. It’s not like I own the Bayonetta IP, but I suppose those who do will probably keep it going.”

Wow, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. In fact, that's almost the exact same thing that happened with the Xenosaga series. Overly ambitious director wanted to create 6 episode series of JRPGS, but due to budget and time constraints (Monolith Soft was a breakaway from Squaresoft), he only got to make three.

I have to wonder what Kamiya had planned after 3, seeing as how the plot is already balls-deep in some parallel-universe bullshit before the second act. As Dragon Ball Super has shown, it gets kind of tough to keep on raising the stakes after that.

Last edited:

911 Jumper

Educated
Now it's time to join up with Shinji Mikami, create Glover Studios, and create a God Hand 2.

We already have God Hand

Wow, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. In fact, that's almost the exact same thing that happened with the Xenosaga series. Overly ambitious director wanted to create 6 episode series of JRPGS, but due to budget and time constraints (Monolith Soft was a breakaway from Squaresoft), he only got to make three.

I have to wonder what Kamiya had planned after 3, seeing as how the plot is already balls-deep in some parallel-universe bullshit before the second act. As Dragon Ball Super has shown, it gets kind of tough to keep on raising the stakes after that.
Wasn't aware of the situation regarding the Xenosaga series. The Kamiya/Bayo situation also reminds me of Yu Suzuki / Shenmue. It will be interesting to see what Kamiya does next.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Mikami is also one of those has-beens.
Fuck all these retards who don't know when to retire/change professions and preserve their legacy and dignity.

janior

Arcane
Patron
bayo 1 is very much his game, rest not so much
weird of him to say that he had plans for some expanded series
clearly remember him saying that he hates sequels and was done with the series after the first game
...and he mostly did it because crapcom took away DMC from him for no good reason afaik

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
sure, but they took the series away from him right after the first game's release, which probably pissed him off
and the series changed quite a bit afterwards, Dante's characterization for one was until dmc5 quite inconsistent and then you have Vergil and Nero (and even Lady in relation to Trish) "hogging" the spotlight because Itsuno admitted he never felt confortable with using someone else's character (hence why Nero is noe effectively the protagonist)

by the way, also speaking of bayonetta's plot
it just occurred to me there's quite a few similarities in Bayo 1 story with that of DMC4 :
- takes place in an isolationist micro nation run by a religious warrior order that makes use of demonic/angelic power
- said order plots to take over the world with a giant angelic mecha that needs to absorb the protagonist's power
- the villain is the religion's corrupt leader
- there's a red dressed rival that you sometimes fight, its hinted he has some connection to you and at one point you even get to play as him to awake the protogonist from the giant mech imprisionament

Kamiya you have some answering to do...

Sentinel

Arcane
“PlatinumGames has placed a priority on growing as a company. But I personally have no interest in growing a company for the sake of corporate growth. The desire to make interesting games is the first step for me, so I want to stay true to that. ‘Creating things with freedom of thought’ means that if my friends come together and say that they would like to work with me, I want to be able to consider ways to collaborate with them to make it happen, so that we can make games together.”
image.png

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This guy is a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if Platinum make their best game without him.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah like all those amazing games they've made since he last directed one in 2013... like... uhhh..... nevermind.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah like all those amazing games they've made since he last directed one in 2013... like... uhhh..... nevermind.
He hasn´t being involved in any good platinum game ever.

Only thing you have to know about him, is he moved from Dante to a empowered feminist witch as main character the precise moment he had artistic autonomy.

Athena

Educated
I like Kamiya, he's a good guy and we need more of him in the industry. Also his meltdowns on ecks dot com are funny to behold.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

We might get a bayo game without the 5 shitty mini games no one likes? Thank FUCK! 9 games is too many to plan for, it's part of what sunk Oddworld so hard. Aim to make 1 game, then a trilogy then a second trilogy if you're lucky. Anything beyond that is jumping the shark territory. Unless the title becomes a brand you make independent games under like Final fantasy.
“PlatinumGames has placed a priority on growing as a company. But I personally have no interest in growing a company for the sake of corporate growth. The desire to make interesting games is the first step for me, so I want to stay true to that. ‘Creating things with freedom of thought’ means that if my friends come together and say that they would like to work with me, I want to be able to consider ways to collaborate with them to make it happen, so that we can make games together.”
Oh God he's going to go full Kojima isn't he? He'll start his own studio sponsored by Sony and start face scanning Americamutts for lead roles.

Sentinel

Arcane

We might get a bayo game without the 5 shitty mini games no one likes? Thank FUCK! 9 games is too many to plan for, it's part of what sunk Oddworld so hard. Aim to make 1 game, then a trilogy then a second trilogy if you're lucky. Anything beyond that is jumping the shark territory. Unless the title becomes a brand you make independent games under like Final fantasy.
Oh God he's going to go full Kojima isn't he? He'll start his own studio sponsored by Sony and start face scanning Americamutts for lead roles.
Why would you think that? Kamiya doesn't seem to have any interest in making movie games.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Why would you think that? Kamiya doesn't seem to have any interest in making movie games.
Not movie games, more like Wario ware with not!bayonetta. An action game where every level ends in a shit mini game. Wonderful 101 turned up to 11. Cats and dogs dancing on motor bikes while space harrier music plays

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
He hasn´t being involved in any good platinum game ever.

Only thing you have to know about him, is he moved from Dante to a empowered feminist witch as main character the precise moment he had artistic autonomy.

Oh, you mean the one that uses her hair as clothes and because of how that "works", basically ends up naked at various points? Definitely the poster child for feminist male gaze avoidance.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
“PlatinumGames has placed a priority on growing as a company. But I personally have no interest in growing a company for the sake of corporate growth.
thanks for the post

I think this line in particular, strongly imples he left because his job was becoming more and more about the kind of coporate shit he has no patience and ambition for

Oh God he's going to go full Kojima isn't he?
Nah
The man has said time and time again he doesn't care about "vidyagaems as art", that he his primarily an "entertainer"

Besides, even after his contractual 1 year inactivity ends, I don't see which of the big 3 would fund him
I mean, the man is no household name like Kojima, he's only famous among an arguably niche genre
A genre of games which shit on the focus prioritized by Sony's current exclusives - that being cinematic storyfaggotry with AAA production levels to their presentation, with gameplay as a secondary concern
Xbox would be the most likely to produce his next project, however considering they shitcanned his previous game (Scalebound), this relationship seems a bit... unlikely, "tense"?
That leaves us with Nintendo, but they already have Platinum essentially working for them, so why would they need him? And even if they did form a parternship with the man, wouldn't that upset the corpo heads at Platinum?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom