Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

soulburner

Cipher
So... I played the Empress edition for a few minutes and stopped because the ambient occlusion is so broken - the shadows disappear around characters and on the edges of the screen. So I found a supposed fix (use RT AO with an added line to engine.ini) but it doesn't work. Is this an Empress issue or is this how the game looks like right now on Steam?
Yes, she messed with some graphic rendering stuff with the excuse of "improving" the game visuals.
WTF? Is there anywhere I can confirm this? Don't expect a direct link, but was it on reddit or somewhere else?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The consequences of letting adolescents on the internet - it becomes a quick draw contest on who is going to cry for mommy first.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The consequences of letting adolescents on the internet - it becomes a quick draw contest on who is going to cry for mommy first.
Hmm it is weird,i did enjoy the books as teen,they are well written for sure. But the game feels like it is made for teens,it is weird to be honest. But i am sure that there is menchildren or womenchildren that feel like it is a dream that came true....it is pretty sad.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I have no fucking idea whatcha'll are talkin aboots now. Twitter troons and some pikachick hanging up her/his channel? Seriously fucking beyond my realm. Wtf?

The "ludonarrative disonance" of this game is also amazing.
I'm not just turning people into explosives and spamming forbidden magic, but the MC is also some crazy mofo, dropping ice cold one liners "Your blood is on Ranrok's hands".
And then go pet some fluffy fantasy kiddy friendly furby look alike with my first year friends.

My favorite part is the "saving" animals part. Those evil poachers are capturing innocent critters. So naturally, I murder them, then capture the unicorns or whatever and bring them to my pocket world menagerie to harvest their body parts. Too many beasts? No problem, this nice lady will "adopt" them and pay me for my troubles.

thesecret1

Arcane
I'm not just turning people into explosives and spamming forbidden magic, but the MC is also some crazy mofo, dropping ice cold one liners "Your blood is on Ranrok's hands".
And then go pet some fluffy fantasy kiddy friendly furby look alike with my first year friends.

My favorite part is the "saving" animals part. Those evil poachers are capturing innocent critters. So naturally, I murder them, then capture the unicorns or whatever and bring them to my pocket world menagerie to harvest their body parts. Too many beasts? No problem, this nice lady will "adopt" them and pay me for my troubles.
Obvious foreshadowing for when protag becomes a mass shooter (mass caster? Mass curser?) and eliminates all the non-whites in Hogwarts together with the sidekick of player's choice, forming the infamous wizard coat mafia.

Obvious foreshadowing for when protag becomes a mass shooter (mass caster? Mass curser?) and eliminates all the non-whites in Hogwarts together with the sidekick of player's choice, forming the infamous wizard coat mafia.
I'm waiting for the mod adding the "windmill of friendship" chosen one mark, so I can correctly larp Charlie Manson

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, for AAA western modern standards seems good but still worse than other games, for eg, Elden Ring which is not a mage focused game has way more spells than this game. And way better magical combat too.

The most important ""choice"" in between nerds, normies, white knights and nazis also seems to affect very little in the gameplay. Would be cool if only nazis could learn the unforgivable curses and use imperius to solve some quests for eg, if only white knights could get the gryffindor sword, nerds had unique potions to craft and so on.

-----------------------------

edit : This game if had good combat :

Last edited:

I was about to post this. The game really wants that teenage audience and is very cheekily hiding the fact your 15 year old has a higher bodycount than the average GTA protagonist. You don't see blood, guts, dismemberment but I'm turning a guy to ice, then casting a slicing charm on it to turn him into ice cubes; the most high damaging combo in the game is turning a guy into an explosive barrel and throw it into his terrified companions. You can accio some poor sod by its clothes then "throw it against a solid object" - the game is rewarding you for snapping some guys neck by throwing them around like a ragdoll. One of your finishers is turning a human enemy into a chicken (presumably forever).

The MC is a legic psycopath. They have a magic book that keeps track of their homework and I have no idea if it's the character reminding themselves to do quests or they are set up by the teachers. One of the homework tasks? Use crucio on a guy, then set him on fire. And don't get me started on the one liners: "8 legs is simply too many" or when killing a troll, "Rest now, my large friend". Jesus, lady, you went into the mountains, into a troll's den, killed a bakers dozen and now you're acting like you had no choice? I guess that's one way of mentally disassociating from the carnage around you. XIX century scotland looks like one of the layers of the Abyss with the amount of horrors there's lurking around.

As for the combat, the only way to enjoy it is to go underlevelled into a fight to give your enemies some semblance of a chance. I was level 20-ish when some guy in a hamlet tells me that his business partner was killed by an Acromantula. The thing was 10 levels higher than I was but I wanted a challenge. The absconder was a nightmare because: A) There's a million summons all around you B) It's terrifying since the final boss of all spiders is not some magical spider, it's highly detailed, realistic tarantula the size of a bus C) It has no weaknesses, it charges you and it doesn't wait for other enemies to finish attacking, it's a fucking terminator.

Despite my arachnophobia, I managed to steel my nerves enough to spam all my vegetables (the venomous tentacula was great at taking the aggro of the adds in the fight and the cabbages are surprisingly strong), drink a thunderbrew potion and run in circles around the room while my AOE cleared all the enemies. Once the Acromantula as the only thing left I was opening with a Mandrake (that's the only way to stun them) spamming Focus + Maxima, Glacius and the Dismemberment spell over and over until it was dead. Wasted all my resources fighting it but it felt like a real victory.

The second time I fought one was in a Challenge Arena, the fifth wave had an Acromantula and I got destroyed. I re-did the arena, this time farming Ancient Magic on the fourth wave. After the beast appeared in the final wave I just used a Mandrake for an AOE stun and unloaded 5 sets of ancient magic. Didn't stand a chance.

Finally, the moment I had to fight an Acromantula for story reasons (a side quest you have for a house elf, to find a friend of his that is forced to mine rare ingredients in a spider's den by his master), after getting the loom and stacking concentration 3 I killed it 2 combos. Felt a bit disappoining.

Not.AI

Learned
I'm impressed this thread is already 110 pages long at this point

Pretty soon the player character runs around casting avada kedavra and no npc seems bothered by that

That said the fighting in the game has weight and is much better than expected

Some of the environmental object animations that are there for the player to optionally notice when exploring are good

The game really wants that teenage audience

Does it want that teenage audience? I figured the target audience was the audience that grew up with the books and movies. (Specifically the books, because it seems like they’re the ones getting all into the details of the school) Which is like a bunch of people in their mid 20s to maybe early 40s. Like they’ll take whoever they can get, but I doubt some 15 year old that was 3 when the last Harry Potter movie came out is going wild for the new Harry Potter related game unless they had some older siblings that were into Harry Potter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom