Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Does it want that teenage audience? I figured the target audience was the audience that grew up with the books and movies. (Specifically the books, because it seems like they’re the ones getting all into the details of the school) Which is like a bunch of people in their mid 20s to maybe early 40s. Like they’ll take whoever they can get, but I doubt some 15 year old that was 3 when the last Harry Potter movie came out is going wild for the new Harry Potter related game unless they had some older siblings that were into Harry Potter.
It's still popular among kids.

Lotta children's books/movies have long enduring popularity.

Harthwain

Magister
Does it want that teenage audience? I figured the target audience was the audience that grew up with the books and movies.
Not necessarily. It's still a book about young kids going to a magic school so kids can still read it and become fans. You don't have to be limited to people who read the books when they just started coming out.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
The game's main story isn't difficult but there are some side challenges that offer a greater sense of accomplishment when you complete them.
Although, if you have enough cabbages every fight against multiple opponents becomes trivial.
And that's good. Single player games aren't supposed to be balanced.

mementomorii69

Barely Literate
I thought the game was stellar in all the ways that it could've been (visuals: architecture, lighting, character modes, music, animation, main story to an extent) but my main issue with the game is just how lifeless everything feels. NPCs are literal holograms that may as well be replaced with décor. There's zero simulation going on in anywhere in the world which kind of reminds me of something like the Horizon games on Playstation. I hope this is something they can improve for the sequel.

pickmeister

Learned
I played for just a little bit because my version from high seas kept crashing pretty early in.

It's a slightly worse Witcher 3 clone with Harry Potter reskin.
The gameplay is fine and pretty fun for the most part, surprisingly.
It needs to be said that it is very truthful to the movies because everyone in here is a fucking idiot. Every decision made by characters in the game sounds like terrible idea.
"Hey I can't solve this puzzle, I only know something changes when I cast this spell. It's not like the solution appears right inside the picture frame."
"Professor said we need a book from the restricted section but he's busy right now. So instead of waiting for a bit and chillin' in the fucking castle which should be the safest place around, let's sneak in and risk being discovered and possibly expelled."
I strongly dislike that it's impossible to find your way in the castle without looking directly on the minimap which of course renders the nicely crafted world around completely obsolete.
Without using transmogs your character looks like a total retard. I normally don't use transmogs in games but I had to here because the cutscenes kept cracking me up no matter how serious they tried to be.
The necessity of spamming witcher sens..I mean revelio gets annoying real quick.
A little thing that bothered me tremendously is the "Sure I'll do this thing for you but first go and do a few things for me." without the person saying what it is and you have no idea without looking into quest journal. They could at least make the character say "I already put the list of tasks in your journal." or something for fuck sake. It isn't that difficult.
And the tranny in the tavern disgusted me more than I would expect.

This game also made me realise that liberals are total hypocrites for loving the Harry Potter franchise considering it's a world where everyone has permission to carry.

All in all, I'll probably get it on a big discount and binge it at some point but not anytime soon.

Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I played for just a little bit because my version from high seas kept crashing pretty early in.

It needs to be said that it is very truthful to the movies because everyone in here is a fucking idiot. Every decision made by characters in the game sounds like terrible idea.
"Hey I can't solve this puzzle, I only know something changes when I cast this spell. It's not like the solution appears right inside the picture frame."
"Professor said we need a book from the restricted section but he's busy right now. So instead of waiting for a bit and chillin' in the fucking castle which should be the safest place around, let's sneak in and risk being discovered and possibly expelled."
I strongly dislike that it's impossible to find your way in the castle without looking directly on the minimap which of course renders the nicely crafted world around completely obsolete.
Without using transmogs your character looks like a total retard. I normally don't use transmogs in games but I had to here because the cutscenes kept cracking me up no matter how serious they tried to be.
The necessity of spamming witcher sens..I mean revelio gets annoying real quick.
A little thing that bothered me tremendously is the "Sure I'll do this thing for you but first go and do a few things for me." without the person saying what it is and you have no idea without looking into quest journal. They could at least make the character say "I already put the list of tasks in your journal." or something for fuck sake. It isn't that difficult.

This game also made me realise that liberals are total hypocrites for loving the Harry Potter franchise considering it's a world where everyone has permission to carry.

All in all, I'll probably get it on a big discount and binge it at some point but not anytime soon.
Not everyone has permission. :smug:

Reinhardt

Arcane

Not everyone has permission. :smug:
only terfs

Kalon

Scholar
Er... transgender people? In the late XIXth century ? This is considerably optimistic. I don't even think they had the technology back then.

Hagashager

Educated
It's a world of magic, technology has no place here. If anything, it should be odd that there's an intellectually Trans character in 19th Century Hogearts not because the technology isn't up to snuff, but because the literal  Magic would make this a moot point. There's a spell to change your gender.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
https://wccftech.com/hogwarts-legac...by Warner Bros. Discovery's CEO, David Zaslav.

This game has been a huge financial success with over $1 billion in revenue sales

Its good to see most gamers dont care about the LGBT obsession and culture wars hyperbole with games and just like to play games.

I also see there are good mods out so I will be playing this game in 4-5 months or so :cool:
It's one of the very rare games that has never went on sale, that I've seen on the Xbox store, months after it's release, the other is Elden Ring.

This will be remembered as one of the greatest financial sucesses of this generation.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
This game is super weird. It was supposed to be the game that Harry Potter fans have been waiting for for years, but it isn't much of a Harry Potter or even a Hogwarts game at all. Despite being called Hogwarts Legacy, Hogwarts is simply a mostly-empty, lifeless hub that you return to between doing quests in other locations or do the occasional tutorial quest in order to learn new spells or mechanics. Add to that the main character being a teenage murderhobo and this game is pretty much just riding on the coattails of the books in order to sell copies.

I'm not much of a Potter fan myself, but I'm surprised that Potter fans received it so well, considering how much it doesn't care about the source material.

Harthwain

Magister
I'm not much of a Potter fan myself, but I'm surprised that Potter fans received it so well, considering how much it doesn't care about the source material.
It allows the fans of the universe to visit Hogwarts (and some other areas) virtually as a student so I am not surprised they like it. It is also done competently enough to be easily considered the best Hogwarts/Harry Potter game to date. Not that the bar was set very high, mind you, but the mainstream and Harry Potter fans aren't known for exorbitant expectations.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is super weird. It was supposed to be the game that Harry Potter fans have been waiting for for years, but it isn't much of a Harry Potter or even a Hogwarts game at all. Despite being called Hogwarts Legacy, Hogwarts is simply a mostly-empty, lifeless hub that you return to between doing quests in other locations or do the occasional tutorial quest in order to learn new spells or mechanics. Add to that the main character being a teenage murderhobo and this game is pretty much just riding on the coattails of the books in order to sell copies.

I mean have you looked at the dev portolio?

They've spent the last decade making toys-to-life games and then they were commissioned for an epic open-world Harry Potter RPG. It's like asking that dude from your local pizzeria who shovels pizzas into the oven to prepare a state dinner for a UN delegation at the White House.

I for one did NOT expect another New Vegas or Witcher 3 and my expectations were met 100%.

lightbane

Arcane
There's not been a proper HP game for decades to boot (mobile games don't count).

The MC is a legic psycopath. They have a magic book that keeps track of their homework and I have no idea if it's the character reminding themselves to do quests or they are set up by the teachers. One of the homework tasks? Use crucio on a guy, then set him on fire.
:abyssgazer:
Book of Pestilent Thought found its way from Sigil.

Elttharion

Learned
This was the game with the highest ammount of sales in the US in 2023. I have been sipping pina coladas all day while reading all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the troons over this.

:positive:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The reddit normie cares not for your reasoning, your wailing or your breathless threats.

He wants to consoom product and get excited for next product.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
People act like because some freaked out trannies hated that game that it wasn't pozzed to the gills. Both sides got fooled. Trannies and chudbros bought that goyslop and loved it.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
People act like because some freaked out trannies hated that game that it wasn't pozzed to the gills. Both sides got fooled. Trannies and chudbros bought that goyslop and loved it.
Yup. Don't buy games with trannyism in them. It doesn't matter if they're "based" or if mods will fix them or not.

I wish I hadn't bought Early Access to BG3 before they announced all the pronouns and bear sex, but you know what you get for preordering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom