Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Been playing about - I don't know, 8 hours or so? - and so far it seems pretty meh. Combat doesn't really seem that engaging, what puzzles I've encountered seem pretty simplistic, the open world seems tacked on, etc. The gear system is annoying. I initially started exploring Hogwarts but at the beginning I couldn't interact with most things because I lacked the spells/ablities.

Speaking of which, how long is the "tutorial" in this game? I'm still unlocking things and I feel like the game hasn't fully opened up. Like what the fuck? That's too long. Get your shit together. Faggot bitch.
You are right, one of the longest I've ever seen since the dawn of PC gaming.

Last edited:

ChildInTime

Learned

Gandalf

Arbiter
This thread makes me wonder: is this a better game than Harry Potter Lego titles?

Hogwarts Legacy Has Sold 24 Million Units; New Features and Ex PlayStation Exclusive Content Coming in Q3 2024

24 million units.... seesh.

Is this game actually good, or is it all just build on the whole Rowling drama?
It's... Decent. Some parts of it (like most of the school itself) have been obviously crafted with the greatest care and attention to detail and offer even some interesting moments.
Others are... You average Ubisoft triple A open world, as big, polished and forgettable as it can get; think of it as a modern Assassin's Creed, but with a Harry Potter flavor on top.

Realistically most of its success comes from the popularity of the books. On a large scale, no one gives a shit about the twitter drama about Rowling and the Reset ERA freaks having an aneurysm over "trans rights".

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
They should make that game more like traditional England. No non UK person as teachers. Students from traditional England only. That would mean that students with parents from other countries have self-education at home as it's pretty tight to find enough positions...

You know stuff that sensible people do in the country and in late 1800s would DEFINITELLY do in UK.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Remember how some crazies from twitter & journos actually believed they can boycott it? :lol:
Nothing new. They tried it with Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Cyberpunk 2077. All these games sold like hotcakes.
Didn't even know there was a trannypalooza around CP2077. Must've been a minor one.

There was a huge outcry over KCD tho. Some outlets even refused to revioo it, but in explicitly stating so they contributed strongly to the media profile and financial success of the game.

Harthwain

Magister
Didn't even know there was a trannypalooza around CP2077. Must've been a minor one.
Yeah. Some idiots tried to claim it was transphobic, no idea why and nobody really cared. The biggest damage was done by the buggy state of the game itself.

There was a huge outcry over KCD tho. Some outlets even refused to revioo it, but in explicitly stating so they contributed strongly to the media profile and financial success of the game.
I recall there were also claims from some feminists that The Witcher 3 was misogynist. Again, it didn't stop the game from becoming a massive success (the biggest out of all The Witcher games).

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...bt-nsfw-see-staff-post-before-posting.122649/

https://www.eurogamer.net/a-conversation-with-the-artist-behind-that-cyberpunk-2077-poster
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2...flect-corporate-exploitation-says-the-artist/

Then after release there was Angel and Skye. Guys were picking Angel thinking it's a girl and then complained about turning gay. Twitter wanted to talk about #MaleFragility. The devs did update the game to include a pic of them so the people who don't pay attention to dialogue don't choose the wrong one anymore, though.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/cyberpunk-2077-angel-or-skye-choice-whats-the-difference

Yeah but this is scaping the bottom of the barrel, when you desperately need your outrage fix. No wonder I haven't heard.

They weren’t really mad about that. It just seems the Cyperpunk 2077 stuff was holdover about being pretend mad that Witcher 3 didn’t have black people in it or something, so Polygon and ResetEra went fishing for shit to hit them with. They were also trying to get them on the Voodoo Boys, but that never really got any traction since Michael Pondsmith is black and pretty soon into it a Haitian guy was tweeting about how he loved the Voodoo Boys in the game.

The funny thing about the in-game poster they were pissed about is it’s also easy to imagine them being overjoyed about it.

deuxhero

Arcane

Hogwarts Legacy Has Sold 24 Million Units; New Features and Ex PlayStation Exclusive Content Coming in Q3 2024

24 million units.... seesh.

Is this game actually good, or is it all just build on the whole Rowling drama?
It's... Decent. Some parts of it (like most of the school itself) have been obviously crafted with the greatest care and attention to detail and offer even some interesting moments.
Others are... You average Ubisoft triple A open world, as big, polished and forgettable as it can get; think of it as a modern Assassin's Creed, but with a Harry Potter flavor on top.

Realistically most of its success comes from the popularity of the books. On a large scale, no one gives a shit about the twitter drama about Rowling and the Reset ERA freaks having an aneurysm over "trans rights".
They have should immediately started on a sequel that fixed everything: No tranny shit, no super-diverse student body, a protag that only grunts and displays text you pick dialog options for, more interesting stuff to find in world, relationship building/romance with other students, maybe set mid-1920s as the Wizarding world is coming to terms with the realization that Muggles now have the power to utterly destroy themselves and the magical world while the school continues adjusting to the greatly depleted student body and fallout of witches and wizards trying to "help" their country in the war. Too bad WB is retarded and instead went all in on live service crap nobody wants and is going to bomb.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're stupid. They should have made the entire game and setting from the ground up to my exact specifications and political tastes and then they would have made a million billion dollars. It's so simple.

cool_story_bro.png

deuxhero

Arcane
1920s is obvious next step in setting from 1890s. 1900s and early 1910s don't change enough (either in tech or giving room for it to not be a direct sequel), and mid 1910s has a very obvious problem.

Hagashager

Educated
1920s is obvious next step in setting from 1890s. 1900s and early 1910s don't change enough (either in tech or giving room for it to not be a direct sequel), and mid 1910s has a very obvious problem.
Go for broke: Wizards in WWI, it's no less insane than what already exists in Legacy. Have some shadow war with the wizards.

Hell, the actual timeline of events leading up to WWI in real life can seem almost abritrary and contrived. There were attempts to simmer things down after Ferdinand's assassination and yet...an awful lot of letters got lost, telegrams recieved garbbled and bureaucrats on leave. In the HP universe it would be perfectly plausable that literal wizards had a hand in those coincidences.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Go for broke: Wizards in WWI, it's no less insane than what already exists in Legacy. Have some shadow war with the wizards.

Hell, the actual timeline of events leading up to WWI in real life can seem almost abritrary and contrived. There were attempts to simmer things down after Ferdinand's assassination and yet...an awful lot of letters got lost, telegrams recieved garbbled and bureaucrats on leave. In the HP universe it would be perfectly plausable that literal wizards had a hand in those coincidences.
You're expecting too much cleverness from AAA game writers.

The ‘20s would put a Hogwarts game during the same time period as those Fantastic Beasts movies.

With the game being such a huge success, they may also not want to massively change the timeframe of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom