Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Honkai: Star Rail - It sucks almost as much as mods changing titles

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Also:
lR1ODBJ.jpeg
Same. As soon as I installed the game I did this.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
For the record, it's better to use Jap dubs in every case. American dub industry is cancerous.

American voice actors are largely untalented degenerates who only keep getting work via nepotism and industry monopolies.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
But it's a chyna gayme
And its flaws are largely because of this. Boring character design, stingy gacha rates and over-focus on Space China.

That said, it's anime and therefore Japanese. It's influencing the Chinese youth and making them more susceptible to Japanese and Korean influence. A net benefit.

May Hirohito rise from his grave and put every Chinaman in a camp with Star Rail as his only entertainment. Wait. No, Xi already did that with Zero COVID. Never mind. :M

Tyrr

Liturgist
But it's a chyna gayme
And its flaws are largely because of this. Boring character design, stingy gacha rates and over-focus on Space China.

That said, it's anime and therefore Japanese. It's influencing the Chinese youth and making them more susceptible to Japanese and Korean influence. A net benefit.

May Hirohito rise from his grave and put every Chinaman in a camp with Star Rail as his only entertainment. Wait. No, Xi already did that with Zero COVID. Never mind. :M
I also get a headache from hearing Chinese. That language is the acoustic equivalent of water torture.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
American voice actors are largely untalented degenerates who only keep getting work via nepotism and industry monopolies.
Generally true, but I feel that the HSR EN VA is actually pretty solid. Hoyo also straightup doesn't hire unionized voice actors, so they avoid a lot of the untalented hacks that just get in because they are agency-recommended. Personally I had no issues with any of the EN VA, even though I definitely prefer JP still. Except for Sparkle, CN Sparkle is just miles better than the other alternatives.

I.e. I personally think that Aventurine's voice acting was on point throughout all of 2.0 and 2.1, and that was his first voice acting gig ever. Many of the other VAs are also not at all household names in the industry, with some notable exceptions like Allegra Clark for Acheron.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Generally true, but I feel that the HSR EN VA is actually pretty solid.
It's ok. I'm not sure they needed to make Aventurine a gigafaggot with a lisp just because he dresses like one. Same with Sampo sounding like a 50s TV commercial when he's more of a shyster.

But generally, I agree that they have talent.
that was his first voice acting gig ever, and many of the other VAs are also not at all household names in the industry
And yet I bet they all know someone in the industry that got them the gig.

I'm not specifically accusing all the actors on SR of being corrupt. I'm saying the industry itself is corrupt and there's nothing wrong with ditching it, especially if you like Jap VAs anyway.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
And yet I bet they all know someone in the industry that got them the gig.
Well yeah, that's typically how many businesses operate. I got my job because people knew me, appreciated my work, and wanted me on their staff, not because I applied for it.
I'm saying the industry itself is corrupt and there's nothing wrong with ditching it, especially if you like Jap VAs anyway.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by corrupt, but it's definitely normal for companies to work with the same VAs for multiple characters across different entries in their franchise if they were professional, did a good job and if the community liked them (which is quite important for games like these). The same applies to the JP VA scene, it's actually a lot more incestuous and star-power based than the western one. Many people's first question to any new character appearing in any game is "what other character did they voice" and having been a part of a very successful and well-liked series or game, typically means anybody who was a part of it gets a lot of credit, even if their individual performance wasn't all that great.

I basically just don't quite get what you think differentiates the JP and EN VA scene, they're both awful to newcomers and have way too elitist and arrogant people at the very top who think they're the hottest shit and will always be the hottest shit which guarantees them an audition for any character they are interested in voicing.
I'm not sure they needed to make Aventurine a gigafaggot with a lisp just because he dresses like one.
I know this is the codex so you're unlikely to accept this as a response but... Not every flamboyant character is automatically gay. Besides, he acts in a very dramatic and flamboyant way, exactly because that's what his character is supposed to be like. But, as we know after 2.1 now, it's all just for show. Which, again, is the point of the character. If anything, you thinking he acted like a gigafaggot just means he hit the mark with it.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Well yeah, that's typically how many businesses operate. I got my job because people knew me, appreciated my work, and wanted me on their staff, not because I applied for it.
Which is all well and good, except they also keep people out that they don't like.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by corrupt
Like I said: operates on nepotism. You're either part of the group or you aren't. And that includes leftwing politics.
Many people's first question to any new character appearing in any game is "what other character did they voice" and having been a part of a very successful and well-liked series or game, typically means anybody who was a part of it gets a lot of credit, even if their performance wasn't all that great.
This is nothing strange. Recognizability is part of fame.
I basically just don't quite get what you think differentiates the JP and EN VA scene
Again, nepotism and general leftism. Weird tranny faggots keep getting roles. People who are shit actors keep getting roles. Actors who change lines for politics or just because they can keep getting roles. People who aren't like this don't get roles.

If you can show me which Japanese VA studios are leftist shitholes that do the same things, then fine. But if you showed me just one, it still wouldn't be the same as the American industry because it's ruled by a much smaller group of dub studios.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I know this is the codex so you're unlikely to accept this as a response but... Not every flamboyant character is automatically gay. Besides, he acts in a very dramatic and flamboyant way, exactly because that's what his character is supposed to be like. But, as we know after 2.1 now, it's all just for show. Which, again, is the point of the character. If anything, you thinking he acted like a gigafaggot just means he hit the mark with it.
He doesn't sound like a faggot in the Japanese VA.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
A coincidence, I'm sure.

Just like it was a coincidence when the dub studio changed Sparkle's dialog from "a mute" to "a rock", which ruined what she was trying to say.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Again, nepotism and general leftism. Weird tranny faggots keep getting roles. People who are shit actors keep getting roles. Actors who change lines for politics or just because they can keep getting roles. People who aren't like this don't get roles.
If you think this isn't also the case in Japan, then you're just delusional. This level of nepotism exists anywhere on the world, in any business. Untalented people get hired all the time in any company, simply because they know the right people.

The difference is that the need for Voice acting in the west is significantly smaller because we don't have an entire industry that is in constant need of dubbing characters. This leads to fewer available voice actors in general, and also less experienced voice directors, which is a big part of getting good performances out of people.
And weirdly enough, there were very positive receptions from both the CN and JP fanbase of HSR for the EN VA of the character. Curious, init? If you think gay or sexually ambivalent character's arent the bread and butter of anime/manga/videogame culture in JP, then you're sorely mistaken. There's a reason so few characters sexuality is outright stated, because it allows the fanbase of any media to ship every character with any other character.

Genuine question for both of you: Do you actually speak japanese? Because a lot of times people tend to simply prefer the VA in a language they do not actually understand over the one where they are able to pick up on small details that can ruin the immersion. Bad voice acting or voice direction are a lot more apparent in a language you understand, vs one that you do not.

Calling someone a "mute" as an insult would be ableistic, we can't have that over here.
We already went over this a few pages back, but if you genuinely think that's the reason, and wasn't just due to bad communication from the CN to the EN voice directors and script writers, then you're just plain retarded.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
If you think this isn't also the case in Japan, then you're just delusional.
Show me 2 Leftist VA studios in Japan who do things like change lines for politics and provide evidence of their Leftist nepotism.

I'll wait.
The difference is that the need for Voice acting in the west is significantly smaller
More like the demand is smaller because people are tired of the shit localizers have been pulling for decades. Millions of people watch anime. It's not a niche hobby anymore.
Genuine question for both of you: Do you actually speak japanese? Because a lot of times people tend to simply prefer the VA in a language they do not actually understand over the one where they are able to pick up on small details that can ruin the immersion. Bad voice acting or voice direction are a lot more apparent in a language you understand, vs one that you do not. Just because
That's not the case here. I would prefer an English dub if the dubs were accurate and weren't changed "COINCIDENTALLY" to be more leftist-friendly. Or changed for almost any reason, really.

I've seen lines changed to mock Gamergate, lines changed to denounce misogyny, lines changed to subtly educate the viewer on trans gender theory and even a line changed to be a reference to some meme because the VA thought it would be cool if he could "get away with it" - his words.

This is shitty, unprofessional behavior. It's like painting over an artist's work. Would you buy a painting if some dickhead had doodled on it? Maybe you would. Maybe you're a fucking moron. Maybe you'd make excuses for why there did it, or say it's not that bad. But I wouldn't like to.
We already went over this a few pages back, but if you genuinely think that's the reason, and wasn't just due to bad communication from the CN to the EN voice directors and script writers, then you're just plain retarded.
I showed you the original line and that a rock looks nothing like a mute in Chinese. There is no way to mistake the two. You are just in denial. And possibly a dumb nigger.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Sorry, but I'm not giving western lolalizers the benefit of the doubt. These days are long over.
You know what happened when you catch a known pyromaniac, a gas can in his hand, next to a burning building.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
More like the demand is smaller because people are tired of the shit localizers have been pulling for decades. Millions of people watch anime. It's not a niche hobby anymore.
Yeah it totally has nothing to do with the fact that there's thousands of anime releasing in JP every month that all need to be voiced, which naturally means you need a much bigger VA scene with everything that entails than you have in the west, which had orders of magnitude fewer animated series 10-20 years ago, and still does. It very much still is a niche hobby, albeit growing of course, and the community as a whole is more than fine not listening to EN dubs, because most of them are awful. Them being awful isn't a political issue or even anime-eclusive, dubs have sucked everywhere all over the world, even with english media that is being translated into other languages. Their dubs are just as bad, if not worse, due to lack of variety in VA, bad translations or bad direction. Typically a combination of these.
That's not the case here. I would prefer an English dub if the dubs were accurate and weren't changed "COINCIDENTALLY" to be more leftist-friendly. Or changed for almost any reason, really.
It's not any reason, its because Hoyo writes many parts of their game in literary language, referencing classical chinese themes, memes and pop-culture references that would not be understood by the western audience. Some changes could be conisdered to be more leftist-leaning, whatever the fuck that means, while others go the other direction. That's the very nature of trying to translate from a different language and culture.

That's why most developers specifically ask their localization teams to be creative in translating and even changing the original text, so it resonates with their playerbase (with Hoyo typically signing off on any changes to the actual narrative). Based on the success and positive reception of both Genshin and SR's writing in the west, that approach clearly seems to be working. It's not without fault, of course, and situations like the Sparkle incident or the last part of the 2.1 questline omitting the 'Minion of the Enigmata' line do happen, but all things considered, this game does very little to push any particular agenda, and mistakes are far and few between considering how much text there actually is. Let's not forget they didn't see it necessary to tone down Sparkles racism, Belobog's anti-refugee rhetoric or Ruan Mei literally dateraping you, twice. Any actual left-leaning localization team would've found ways to change any of these, 100%.

The problem people like you are running into is that you're purposefully looking out for this shit nowadays (understandably so, to some extent), and if you're looking for something, you'll find something too. I simply prefer to enjoy things for what they are, sigh and yawn if there's some annoyances along the way, but as long as the game and writing is still enjoyable and these incidents aren't increasing in frequency, who gives a flying fuck. For me, personally, HSR still falls into the latter category, and I simply don't get upset over tiny incidents that might have been some localization team's attempt to push an agenda, or, and I consider this to be much more likely knowing how localizers operate, it could've just been incompetence/mistakes that tend to happen way more often than even autists end up noticing. Both are reasonable explanations in this day and age, you choose the one that actively upsets you, I don't. Just stop playing if it bothers you that much, but whining about it 24/7 on an obscure internet forum ain't gonna change shit about it.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Show me 2 Leftist VA studios in Japan who do things like change lines for politics and provide evidence of their Leftist nepotism.

I'll wait.
Weird. You didn't answer this.
Them being awful isn't a political issue
And yet they change things for politics all the time.
Some changes could be conisdered to be more leftist-leaning, whatever the fuck that means
You know exactly what it means. It's a specific brand of woke that everyone knows by now. You don't even need to see an example. Just put libshit keywords on a board and throw a dart at it and chances are you'll hit something that's been localized woke in an anime.

What is this wall-of-text cope where you pretend we haven't seen this in games and anime for 10 years now? "Durr, the sky might be blue. I don't know. Whatever 'blue' means!" Nigger, who do you think you're fooling other than yourself?
Let's not forget they didn't see it necessary to tone down Sparkles racism
As I said before when you tried this argument, they changed what they thought they could get away with. What the company they were hired by let them get away with. I don't know what else they wanted to change, but I do know what they did change. And that it fits a greater patter of woke leftist changes in localization.
The problem people like you are running into is that you're purposefully looking out for this shit nowadays (understandably so, to some extent), and if you're looking for something, you'll find something too.
It's my fault for noticing when localizers change things. It's my fault for listening to the interviews where they brag about changing them. It's never the VA's fault. The localizer translating. The studio oking it all and continuing to hire these people and their friends.
Just stop playing if it bothers you that much, but whining about it 24/7 on an obscure internet forum ain't gonna change shit about it.
Oh, fuck you. "Just fuck off and stop posting itt" is what you're really saying. Same to you, asshole.

Why would I stop playing when I can just change to Jap VAs? You know, like I suggested people do, prompting this whole argument? But that wasn't good enough for you.

Everything you're doing is whining based on literally 3 sentences I wrote at the top of the page, you massive hypocrite. Practice what you preach and stfu.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Weird. You didn't answer this.
Neither did you when I asked you shit prior, like whether you actually speak japanese/chinese to understand the original text and why changes were made, or if you're just talking out of your ass based off of some cringe reddit-posts you read that complained about it initially. Weird. You didn't answer this.

Everything you're doing is whining
Actually, no, that's what you're doing. It's the same "libtards ruined everything" whining that you find in almost every thread these days. I just reacted to it, because I think that in this specific case, it doesn't actually apply. It's not my fault you get a conniption over seeing a reddit post titled "THEY CHANGED SPARKLES LINES OMG" and immediately go full retard mode in yet another thread. So yeah, I'm gonna point out the ridiculousness of your statements for as long as I like. Deal with it.

The problem with people like you is that you can't not see stuff for being accidental mistakes anymore. Everything is suddenly done on purpose and with malicious intent, as if people never ever fuck up, and while you probably struggle to grasp that concept because you're a terminally online poster on the codex, that's simply not how the world works. You're incapable of accepting that a much more reasonable and logical explanation of how certain things happened might be the case, it HAS to be the libtards. Do we need to get a doll to ask where the libtard touched you?

There's many cases of certain agendas influencing games, and it's been bothering me too. It's why I don't play certain games, because it detracts from the experience to the point where I don't want to support those devs anymore. I simply don't agree that it's the case in this one. So, I'm gonna point it out when I feel you're being a dumbfuck about it. Deal with it, or ignore me if it bothers you so much that you feel the need to keep the back and forth going to the point where you increasingly have to draw from the deep well of your elaborately crafted insults. Have fun.

To get back on topic, new banners dropped and we get the first re-run on Hanya and Xueyi. It seems the next time we'll be seeing Yukong is gonna be on a milk-carton. It's been over 240 days since she last was on a banner.

Honkai-Star-Rail-next-Banner-2.2-Robin-Topaz.jpg

Honkai-Star-Rail-next-Banner-2.2-Boothill-Fu-Xuan.jpg

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Neither did you when I asked you shit prior, like whether you actually speak japanese/chinese to understand the original text and why changes were made
The premise of my argument wasn't based on whether or not I speak Japanese or Chinese. Your premise was that Japanese studios are just as bad and then you refused to provide evidence.

Also, you framed asking that as why I prefer subs over dubs, not just whether I understood the context. I answered based on that. I didn't ignore it.

And I do understand the original text. I explained it word for word earlier in the thread. You saw this.
Here's the line in the original Chinese:
https://wiki.biligame.com/sr/夜色名为温柔
???:给你个提示吧:既然你谁也说服不了,何不考虑去找个哑巴做朋友呢?至少他不会反驳你,哈哈。
"找" = "find/seek"
"个哑巴" = a mute

For it to be "find a rock" it would have to say something like "找到一块岩石". They look nothing alike.

Not sure how the translator could make this error by mistake.

Everything you're doing is whining
Actually, no, that's what you're doing. It's the same "libtards ruined everything" whining that you find in almost every thread these days. I just reacted to it, because I think that in this specific case, it doesn't actually apply. It's not my fault you get a conniption over seeing a reddit post titled "THEY CHANGED SPARKLES LINES OMG" and immediately go full retard mode in yet another thread. So yeah, I'm gonna point out the ridiculousness of your statements for as long as I like. Deal with it.

The problem with people like you is that you can't not see stuff for being accidental mistakes anymore. Everything is suddenly done on purpose and with malicious intent, as if people never ever fuck up, and while you probably struggle to grasp that concept because you're a terminally online poster on the codex, that's simply not how the world works. You're incapable of accepting that a much more reasonable and logical explanation of how certain things happened might be the case, it HAS to be the libtards. Do we need to get a doll to ask where the libtard touched you?

There's many cases of certain agendas influencing games, and it's been bothering me too. It's why I don't play certain games, because it detracts from the experience to the point where I don't want to support those devs anymore. I simply don't agree that it's the case in this one. So, I'm gonna point it out when I feel you're being a dumbfuck about it. Deal with it, or ignore me if it bothers you so much that you feel the need to keep the back and forth going to the point where you increasingly have to draw from the deep well of your elaborately crafted insults. Have fun.
Look at this wall of text and tell me more about how you're not whining, you unhinged loser. :lol:

I already posted the original Chinese. The difference between "mute" and "rock" is unmistakable. It was a deliberate change.

You can theorize why they did it and so can I, but your defensive little rants and your own insults (that you started btw) aren't convincing me.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I already posted the original Chinese. The difference between "mute" and "rock" is unmistakable. It was a deliberate change.
Me (and others) have pointed out to you before that this change made sense in the context of being used as an insult. You're just too dumb to accept that, and instead blame libtards. You do you.
Your premise was that Japanese studios are just as bad and then you refused to provide evidence.
Common sense would dictate that if corruption, nepotism and politics affect businesses globally, that would indeed include asian companies as well. The only difference here is that China and Japan don't really have an issue with leftist agendas being pushed, but many studios have been accused of catering to the CCCP in China, for example. Japan on the other hand has a general racism issue with westerners, and a serious problem with sexual violence. These issues seep into company culture and work relationships just as much as the liberal agenda does in the west, and corruption and nepotism (which was your initial argument, that western VA industry is corrupt while the JP one isn't) is just as prevalent, it just has a different flavor. People still get cancelled in Japan, it just tends to happen over other issues (as examples, the attempts the cancel Ai Kayano or Yuichi Nakamura).

Look at this wall of text and tell me more about how you're not whining, you unhinged loser. :lol:
I find it interesting that you somehow manage to not only assume what I'm thinking, but also assess my emotional state. That's an incredible skill. I'm glad you think I'm seething and mad and whining, when all I'm actually doing is responding to your messages. But hey, if it makes you feel better to think that you're really owning me, enjoy.

I'll stop engaging at this point because this has derailed almost a full page of the topic already, and it seems neither one of us is gonna budge on our opinions on this matter. Feel free to get in a last word, of course.

On topic: The Live Concert was today.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Me (and others) have pointed out to you before that this change made sense in the context of being used as an insult. You're just too dumb to accept that, and instead blame libtards. You do you.
Go "make friends with a rock" then, you ridiculous, whiny nigger.

The change makes about as much sense as you posting outdated game news in an effort to look like you're on-topic, when you're the one who started arguing with me over this to begin with.
The only difference here is that China and Japan don't really have an issue with leftist agendas being pushed
So you admit that I was right and that they don't change dialog to be more leftist. Cool. That was my initial point: use JAP VAs and not English ones. Done.
People still get cancelled in Japan, it just tends to happen over other issues (as examples, the attempts the cancel Ai Kayano or Yuichi Nakamura).
Ai just had her voice changed in Chinese products, not in Japan itself. YN's cancelation attempt was just a tabloid article that failed.

Neither of these are like surreptitiously changing dialog in a game because of leftist dogma about ableism.
I'm glad you think I'm seething
I never said you were.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom