Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

racofer

Thread Incliner
Answering your question - i think that robots are searching for you too thoroughly for stealth being enjoyable.
Expanding a bit on that: not only do robots search too thoroughly, but they always walk towards the player position.
  • Hit a robot with an arrow half a mile away while hiding in the bushes? The robot will walk on your direction and most likely spot you if its alert timer doesn't run out first.
  • Place a tripcaster wire on a robot's path, while hidden, then move half a mile away and wait, still hidden, for the robot to trigger the trap? Once the robot is knocked down, it will search for you walking on your direction.
When a poor excuse for a stealth game like Far Cry makes stealth more interesting than your "modern" AAAA billion-dollar game with hair and vagina physics, you know you fucked it up. And don't even get me started on the Cauldron bosses that force you out of stealth and devolve into dodgeball simulator gameplay.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The biggest fail is night is just cosmetic. It doesn't affect stealth at all, it only makes it more annoying to play coz you can't see shit. What a big brain idea. Right there it's clear you're dealing with a AAA game.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
The storytelling also sucks. There's aspects of the world that are interesting, some interesting designs for locations, but when people start talking and keep talking I was just wishing they'd shut the fuck up.
One of the worse examples of modern game word vomit, the pointless chasing of "realistic" "immersive" dialogue. All I could think about listening to the NPCs spew novels in HZD was the gloriously terse and punchy writing of games like Deus Ex.
I've been complaining that games don't have charismatic characters like Gerard Dugalle anymore, and that's part of the reason why. You never had 5 hour rambling sessions in Brood War. Even somewhat rambling dialogue like BG2 never got to the point where it lost its character.

Maybe this "realistic" and "immersive" crap is to cover up someone's lack of animal magnetism?

racofer

Thread Incliner
And now I find out about this:

https://af.gog.com/forum/horizon_ze...ta_collection_in_the_gogversion?as=1649904300

C5h5lun.png

What the fuck?

Been playing this. It's... what it is. I'm about 8 hours in. Gameplay is a very slightly less shit version of that found in the modern AC titles, setting shows some promise (with some strong echoes of Gonzales' work on the Survivalist from Honest Hearts), and everything else is just kind of.... sitting there. Characters are drab, plotting is glacial and only interesting when it directly informs on the setting, and the simplistic gameplay loop of "sneak, sneak, pew, pew, craft, craft" can only maintain momentum for so long (and that's to say nothing about how silly it is that the "pew, pew" component is largely predicated on the ludicrousness of neo-lithic tech taking down autofacs that produce self-replicating-nanobots).

Will keep playing it for now I guess, but:

Edit: Also I found this thread by Googling "RPGCodex Zero Dawn" and just now realized that this thread is in GRPG. Fucking try harder mods.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Current year my ass.

They've been calling System Shock 2 and Star Control 2 RPG's for ages.

Hurrrr it's a game where you play a role so it's an RPG Game durrrrrr

ADL

Prophet

Report: Horizon Zero Dawn Remake/Remaster in the Works for PS5; Horizon Multiplayer Game in Development​

While we just got a remake for The Last of Us, it looks like PlayStation may not be quite done with remakes just yet, as a source close to the situation who wishes not to be named has revealed to us that a Horizon Zero Dawn remake is in the works for the PS5!

If you thought The Last of Us Part 1 divided players up on whether or not a game needed a remake, prepare yourselves as it has been revealed to us that PlayStation is now remaking or remastering (details are still unclear) Horizon Zero Dawn, a game that is only five years old and had its sequel released earlier this year.

Our source didn’t elaborate whether or not this was a “built from the ground up” style of remake, however we were told that the remake features an improved lighting system (ambient occlusion, and such), overhauled textures. and better animations, with new character models to match those found in the sequel, Horizon Forbidden West.
https://mp1st.com/news/report-horiz...r-ps5-horizon-multiplayer-game-in-development

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
Yeah, remake / Remastering a ~5 years old game is totally makes sense. I can't understand how the new generation's brain works; "2017 is so yesterday duuuude; I need fuckton of new shiny graphics fx in order to enjoy my mentally 6 years old brain!"

Meanwhile Thief, Duke 3D, Blood, MDK, Commandos, No One Lives Forever etc. stays forgotten.

And why is this game in "RPG Discussion", instead of "General Gaming"?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Answering your question - i think that robots are searching for you too thoroughly for stealth being enjoyable.
Expanding a bit on that: not only do robots search too thoroughly, but they always walk towards the player position.
  • Hit a robot with an arrow half a mile away while hiding in the bushes? The robot will walk on your direction and most likely spot you if its alert timer doesn't run out first.
  • Place a tripcaster wire on a robot's path, while hidden, then move half a mile away and wait, still hidden, for the robot to trigger the trap? Once the robot is knocked down, it will search for you walking on your direction.
When a poor excuse for a stealth game like Far Cry makes stealth more interesting than your "modern" AAAA billion-dollar game with hair and vagina physics, you know you fucked it up. And don't even get me started on the Cauldron bosses that force you out of stealth and devolve into dodgeball simulator gameplay.

Ah yes, the Alien Isolation school of stealth games.

I actually like this game but yes the stealth aspect was pretty shit. Same goes for every AssCreed after 3/4 though.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Yeah, remake / Remastering a ~5 years old game is totally makes sense. I can't understand how the new generation's brain works; "2017 is so yesterday duuuude; I need fuckton of new shiny graphics fx in order to enjoy my mentally 6 years old brain!"

Meanwhile Thief, Duke 3D, Blood, MDK, Commandos, No One Lives Forever etc. stays forgotten.

And why is this game in "RPG Discussion", instead of "General Gaming"?
Do you seriously want them to remake the classics? You understand they will censor shit and change whatever the fck that doesn't sit with their ideology right! The best I would want is a remaster and absolutely nothing else, I cry for the new Prince of Persia, wish they had just left it alone.. :negative:

Gargaune

Magister
Five years? Bro, that's like, ancient and shit, didn't even know they had videogames five years ago! Oh, by the by, Baldur's Gate 3 is cancelled, Swen decided to skip it and go straight to the remake.

Count your blessings.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
You think big Murican corpos in the current year forgetting Thief of Duke Nukem exists is a bad thing?
You are definetely right, I wouldn't want to see these series get raped either. I was just comparing it with Zero Dawn remake.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You think big Murican corpos in the current year forgetting Thief of Duke Nukem exists is a bad thing?
You are definetely right, I wouldn't want to see these series get raped either. I was just comparing it with Zero Dawn remake.
We had Thi4f, but they gave up after that. Thief was never such a huge hit to begin with. Just a happy occurance of a small team of very smart people working on a game.

DemonKing

Arcane
There is absolutely no reason to remake this game - especially for PC users that already have a lot of options for fiddling with settings.

The Last of Us Part I "remake" was already completely unnecessary and that game was 4 years older than HZD in the first place!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nothing wrong with remastering a previous-gen game for a new one. A remake would be absurd and that likely isn't happening.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Ah yes, the Alien Isolation school of stealth games.

I actually like this game but yes the stealth aspect was pretty shit. Same goes for every AssCreed after 3/4 though.
Found the perfect example showing why it's so bad. Enemy AI will always investigate your last position whenever they take damage, no matter where you are. This video illustrates it clearly:

The trigger for the shit behavior is whenever the enemy takes damage a second time. This happens when they step over multiple traps, or when you set it on fire from a distance. The initial damage causes the enemy to enter an alert state, and the subsequent damage causes it to go searching for you at your last known location. This makes sense if you were shooting at it with arrows from afar, however indirect damage also triggers the same behavior, which makes zero sense. It's simply shit coding on the devs part, or a bug left unfixed.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
...I actually like this game but yes the stealth aspect was pretty shit. Same goes for every AssCreed after 3/4 though....

....Found the perfect example showing why it's so bad. Enemy AI will always investigate your last position whenever they take damage, no matter where you are. This video illustrates it clearly:
The trigger for the shit behavior is whenever the enemy takes damage a second time. This happens when they step over multiple traps, or when you set it on fire from a distance. The initial damage causes the enemy to enter an alert state, and the subsequent damage causes it to go searching for you at your last known location. This makes sense if you were shooting at it with arrows from afar, however indirect damage also triggers the same behavior, which makes zero sense. It's simply shit coding on the devs part, or a bug left unfixed...

While this is likely correct, I daresay a nitpicking presented through exaggerated wording would be the real issue here. As nefariously usual a phenomenon in internet communication as one can get :(

Sykar

Arcane
The biggest fail is night is just cosmetic. It doesn't affect stealth at all, it only makes it more annoying to play coz you can't see shit. What a big brain idea. Right there it's clear you're dealing with a AAA game.
This is doubly grating because this is a game about... ninjas. Guys who should thrive on stealth. But oh well...

Codex Year of the Donut
good BG3 thread post

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom