Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How about another RPG Codex Top 70 RPGs poll?

Martyr

Arcane
Wut? I agree with most of what you're saying in this thread but the main reason why I prefer Daggerfall to Morrowind is that Daggerfall has actual dungeons while dungeons in Morrowind are as tiny as boring.
the dungeons in Daggerfall are certainly better. they feel more like a natural dungeon and not like something that was designed for the player to make him feel awesome after 100% exploring/looting it.
this also makes them harder to navigate because the dungeon layout doesn't guide the player to his destination, which is good per se. but too many areas of the dungeons look the same, which doesn't help in maneuvering them and the confusing 3D-map doesn't help in this regard.

krisman87

Literate
Wut? I agree with most of what you're saying in this thread but the main reason why I prefer Daggerfall to Morrowind is that Daggerfall has actual dungeons while dungeons in Morrowind are as tiny as boring.
the dungeons in Daggerfall are certainly better. they feel more like a natural dungeon and not like something that was designed for the player to make him feel awesome after 100% exploring/looting it.
this also makes them harder to navigate because the dungeon layout doesn't guide the player to his destination, which is good per se. but too many areas of the dungeons look the same, which doesn't help in maneuvering them and the confusing 3D-map doesn't help in this regard.
Bro, that's why such votes are made.
There is no the only and true definition of good RPG, because everyone has their own criteria of judgement.
Some of us are driven by nostalgia, some try to truly compare new games with the old ones, some never played half of games from the first ranking ( I'm the guy ~ but give me some time ).
On the forum we have brothers of different ages, which is why there will be both older games and newer ones in the ranking such as The Witcher, Alpha Protocol, etc.

Instead of discussing the superiority of one game over another, let's learn to appreciate the opinion of others.
Thanks to that I had the opportunity to play such titles as Darklands, Lands of Lore, etc. which I would never even consider.

Share respect and understanding for our Brothers and Sisters (?).

laclongquan

Arcane
If you only hear from Codexers, Wizardry would be, like, god-given gift to players.

Once you try playing it, like Wizardry 8 for example, my god, it bores on the mind~

I dont know why, but I like Might and Magic so much better. To be specific, several plays of each 6, 7, and 8. So it's not like I dont like that subgenre. I suspect the problem is the design, the common theme, or the common concept of the entire wizardry series.

Wizardry fit a very small niche of gamers. And the Japanese. Chew on that!

Martyr

Arcane

I'm the last one to call other people retarded because of their opinion on video games - but imo a list like this should try to be as objective as possible. it should really show the best games this genre has to offer and that's certainly not Mass Effect, Dragon Age and co. if we include those, why not Jade Empire as well?
and the games should be ranked in a way that makes sense. Wizardry 7 is far superior to Wiz8, Daggerfall is far superior to Morrowind. and those are just 2 out of countless examples.
this list would be like me putting KotoR 2 in the top 3 (which I would never ever do) - I really really love that game but I'm intelligent enough to see that it is not a very good RPG.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
And how, exactly, would you vote for an objective list? People aren't going to suddenly change their minds and put Wizardry 7 ahead of Dark Souls. In fact in all likelihood every single Wizardy will get bumped off the list entirely in favor of something like Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2. Does it make sense? No, but that is what is going to happen.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Five years seems about right, but I'd be wary about doing it while some honeymoons are still going on. At least put it off until December.

Gregz

Arcane
Next year it will be 5 years since we did this... seems like December/January is a great time to do it again. This way we can all play the September madness games and check Underworld Ascendant.

I was thinking of using the same system, any feedback?

In principle it's a good idea, but in practice probably not. Here's why:

Positives

• It's something to do and we're bored

Negatives

• We've lost many monocled oldfags, and we've gained many popamole newfags
  • With only a few exceptions, the last 5 years has been shit for cRPGs
  • Our currently prestigious top-70 is at risk of being polluted/diluted/supplanted, which list will show up on a Google search?

Last edited:

krisman87

Literate
Might and Magic - a strange thing, because not almost perfect MM6, not even huge MM7, but it's Might and Magic 9 which stucked in my memory and gave me a lot of fun.
Maybe because I felt that if the NWC didn't go bankrupt and release a complete game, it would probably be a MM6 level game or maybe even better.

krisman87

Literate

I'm the last one to call other people retarded because of their opinion on video games - but imo a list like this should try to be as objective as possible. it should really show the best games this genre has to offer and that's certainly not Mass Effect, Dragon Age and co. if we include those, why not Jade Empire as well?
and the games should be ranked in a way that makes sense. Wizardry 7 is far superior to Wiz8, Daggerfall is far superior to Morrowind. and those are just 2 out of countless examples.
this list would be like me putting KotoR 2 in the top 3 (which I would never ever do) - I really really love that game but I'm intelligent enough to see that it is not a very good RPG.
No one mentioned "retarded" :)
Anyway I played both Daggerfall and Morrowind and grater pleasure from playing i felt at morrowind. I have failed couple exams because of this game :/

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The 2012-2016 poll had a pretty good system, I would stick with that one: a huge list of games, everyone votes on everything. This way the Codex opinion is much better represented.

V_K

Arcane
The 2012-2016 poll had a pretty good system, I would stick with that one: a huge list of games, everyone votes on everything. This way the Codex opinion is much better represented.
I don't think it's physically doable though. Unless you only take the games that made it onto the original top-70, or at least were mentioned in the voting.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't think it's physically doable though. Unless you only take the games that made it onto the original top-70, or at least were mentioned in the voting.

That's pretty much the idea, yeah. Top 70 + Age of Incline + a small nomination thread for newer releases.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter

In what way do Daggerfall dungeons feel “natural”? Cellars in Morrowind feel like cellars, not like a Kraken orgy that got caught up in a volcanic eruption and preserved for all eternity like those dudes at Pompeii. Like, it is a reasonable opinion that Daggerfall dungeons are better than Morrowind, but more natural they aren’t.

Also

Wizardry 8 is far superior to Wiz7

FTFY

Mortmal

Arcane
Good idea, but restrict votes to forum members and only those who have a majority of post in gaming subforums . Also better to add an age restriction as well, only 40+ , the newfags never experienced the classic rpg at release.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

If feasible I think both approaches should be used and subsequently compared - one huge ass "Top X" list to vote on, and then a number of highly curated polls simply so we don't compare and try to rank apples to oranges just because they're both round fruits. Not to mention it would let people who are better versed in certain subgenres to voice their opinion. This would be double the work if not more for questionable gains, though. And I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the one to sort RPGs into specific types for latter polls.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The fun thing about doing this is to see how modern RPGs compare to older titles, see how Witcher 3 or D:OS rank alongside Fallout: New Vegas, Gothic and other older games.

We already did that just three months ago:

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...ge-of-incline-poll.122230/page-4#post-5658328

Age of Decadence in the Top 10, Underrail and Witcher III in the Top 20, D:OS relatively low at 33.

1. Fallout (107)
  2. Planescape: Torment (103)
  3. Arcanum (84)
  4. Fallout 2 (80)
  5. Baldur's Gate II (71)
  6. Deus Ex (71)
  7. Vampire: The Mascarade (67)
  8. Age of Decadence (66)
  9. Gothic 2 (55)
  10. Fallout: New Vegas (54)
  11. Baldur's Gate (42)
  12. Gothic (42)
  13. Icewind Dale (41)
  14. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (40)
  15. Jagged Alliance 2 (39)
  16. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (39)
  17. System Shock 2 (38)
  18. Underrail (37)
  19. The Temple of Elemental Evil (35)
  20. The Witcher III (35)
  21. Betrayal at Krondor (34)
  22. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (33)
  23. The Witcher (33)
  24. Dark Souls (32)
  25. Darklands (29)
  26. Ultima Underworld (29)
  27. Dark Sun (26)
  28. Might & Magic VI (26)
  29. Pool of Radiance (26)
  30. Wizardry 8 (26)
  31. Arx Fatalis (25)
  32. King of Dragon Pass (23)
  33. Divinity: Original Sin (20)
  34. Might & Magic: World of Xeen (20)
  35. Wizardry VII (20)
  36. Icewind Dale II (18)
  37. Ultima VII (18)
  38. Wizardry VI (18)
  39. Alpha Protocol (17)
  40. System Shock (17)
  41. Ultima IV (17)
  42. Divinity: Original Sin 2 (16)
  43. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (16)
  44. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (16)
  45. Grimoire (15)
  46. Anachronox (14)
  47. Dragon Age: Origins (14)
  48. Might & Magic VII (14)
  49. Mount & Blade (14)
  50. Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail (14)
  51. Wasteland (14)
  52. Dragon's Dogma (13)
  53. Ultima V (13)
  54. ADOM (12)
  55. Divine Divinity (12)
  56. Dungeon Master (12)
  57. Geneforge (12)
  58. Star Control II (12)
  59. Ultima Underworld II (12)
  60. ELEX (11)
  61. FTL (11)
  62. Knights of the Chalice (11)
  63. Might & Magic III (11)
  64. Pools of Darkness (11)
  65. Mass Effect (10)
  66. Shadowrun: Hong Kong (10)
  67. The Witcher II (10)
  68. Battle Brothers (9)
  69. Dark Heart of Uukrul (9)
  70. Legend of Grimrock II (9)
  71. NEO Scavenger (9)
  72. Neverwinter Nights 2 (9)
  73. Nier: Automata (9)
  74. Pillars of Eternity (9)
  75. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (9)
  76. Risen (9)
  77. Dark Souls II (8)
  78. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (8)
  79. Fallout 1.5: Resurrection (8)
  80. Wasteland 2 (8)
  81. Wizardry I (8)
  82. Wizards & Warriors (8)
  83. Albion (7)
  84. Blackguards (7)
  85. Dark Souls III (7)
  86. Lords of Xulima (7)
  87. Quest for Glory IV (7)
  88. Expeditions: Conquistador (6)
  89. Shadowrun Returns (6)
  90. Valkyria Chronicles (6)
  91. Expeditions: Viking (5)
  92. Lands of Lore (5)
  93. Might & Magic X: Legacy (5)
  94. Drakensang (4)
  95. Invisible, Inc. (4)
  96. Legend of Grimrock (4)
  97. Wizardry IV (4)
  98. Heroine's Quest (3)
  99. Dungeon Rats (2)

Though I guess doing a bigger vote with a different voting system and without the 100 games limit of the forum poll would be interesting as well.

fuck no. last thing we need is PoE, Witcher 3 or fucking Divinity:OS anywhere around top 10.

also with retards memeing how great Elex is it might score higher than Gothic 1/2 :argh:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This poll is gonna be nothing less than THE DARK SOULS OF TOP 70'S!

OH BOY, CAN'T WAIT!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom