Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News How George Ziets would make BG3

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If the same Dev who made MotB will do this I jiz into my pants already. Maybe one of this Hub will be the Island from Motb? Spirit eater and Nameless one as Henchmen? :bounce:

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It doesn't seem like there's much middle ground on the God mechanics - the game could be very cool, or go full Molyneux and be a superficial gloss on generic gameplay.

Didn't DnD have a ruleset for ascending to godhood back in the AD&D/pre A&D days? Nobilis has god PCs too I think. Has anyone played these? If so are the mechanics a) cool and b) suitable for translation to a CRPG?

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
What a stupid concept. Such high level play is shit always shit.

Low level is where it's at. Where your pc is a nobody, and even evil pcs have to behave themselves in town unless they want to be ass raped by guards or paladins.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mechanically, it seems like a critical resource would be your divine power, which would rise with your number of followers (humans, divines, demons, or whatever), the extent of your notoriety and influence, and the importance of your divine portfolio. (The concept of divine rank could conceivably replace character level.) You’d create avatars to go adventuring in the various planes, so death wouldn’t force a reload. And as you travel the planes, you might learn ways to change or improve the traits of your avatar, or to create multiple avatars, each with different shapes and abilities, useful for different situations.

From what Ziets describes I'm not really seeing a pitch for a high-level D&D campaign. I was imagining different mechanics that specifically apply to divine actions with the typical PC role being taken by your avatars, which you would develop from low to high level as your divinity rank increased.

Kirtai

Augur
It kinda feels to me like a strategy driven Populus/Dungeon Keeper style game may work for this sort of thing. Directing your minions enmasse while intervening directly in critical junctures by smacking the shit out of them.

waywardOne

Arcane
I'm suspicious of anyone wanting to make a "sequel" to a 12-year-old game. How about coming up with your own setting and mechanics? Fuck this.

waywardOne

Arcane
I know, but it's like saying they're going to dig up my beloved dog that died long ago. The best way to honor him would be to adopt another one from the shelter, not clone or resurrect him.

Dorateen

Arcane
I feel the need to point out that one of the resolutions of ToB was for PC to reject his divine heritage and decline godhood.

Therefore, the underlying fundamentals of this pitch is aimed at only a specific ending of the Bhaalspawn saga. The decisions of a developer do not invalidate the actions of the player, and it is a misfortune every time it happens. That's why the more limited the background for the PC, the better.

Unless, of course, he wants to design a console like God of War, and really have nothing to do with the baldur's gate legacy.

Kirtai

Augur
I feel the need to point out that one of the resolutions of ToB was for PC to reject his divine heritage and decline godhood.

Therefore, the underlying fundamentals of this pitch is aimed at only a specific ending of the Bhaalspawn saga. The decisions of a developer do not invalidate the actions of the player, and it is a misfortune every time it happens. That's why the more limited the background for the PC, the better.
I've sometimes wondered why it seems almost noone has taken on making games that follow up divergent endings of previous games. Except Zelda of course.

Not counting Daggerfall and their wtf handling of it :eek:

Would be interesting to play as a fledgling god if they tweaked the Divine Level mechanics in DnD.

But fuck that, I want a game set in the Blood War. Take command of the conservative devils and destroy the multikult librul faggots of the abyss. Because even in Hell decline runs rampant.

Moribund

A droglike
Ditto that for blood war. Like TNO you can become a pretty epic character but you'd start off as a neg and you'd always be dust dust in the breeze compared to the big players, and its open nature allows you to do just about anything you want, which is not the case in FR.

To be fair the most interesting, really only interesting, thing about the FR setting is the time of troubles and the dark gods like bhaal. The tale of how the triumvirate of evil came to being by slaying the original god of evil would be good too. They really chose the best setting in all of FR, unfortunately FR just sucks. Every other part of it is elves rubbing their noses together or elminster or one of a hundred other good mages teaching each other valuable lessons of some kind.

Larry Elmore is a great artist and very creative at times but I will hate him forever for ruining DnD due to making the whole main setting all about his lame alter ego.

Kirtai

Augur
Larry Elmore is a great artist and very creative at times but I will hate him forever for ruining DnD due to making the whole main setting all about his lame alter ego.
Er what? If you mean Elminster, that's Ed Greenwoods alter ego.

The only interesting thing about FR is the Planes. And the only game set there is Torment.

They could do some amazing psychedelic stuff using that setting but they always seem to go for "Oh the Dales are in trouble, cavern nigger elves are attacking us".

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've sometimes wondered why it seems almost noone has taken on making games that follow up divergent endings of previous games. Except Zelda of course.

Yes. I always thought it'd be a neat idea to create a game with multiple endings and then create sequels for each of the different endings.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sounds awesome, I'd totally $$ this if it gever goes kickstarter.

Tripicus

Augur
I said it in the Torment Successor thread, and I'll repeat it with a little less sarcasm: As a whole some interesting ideas, but come on, a fledgling god running around Sigil? How is that supposed to work with the Lady in place? Great way to bethesda the Planescape lore.

Can it be much worse than the Bloodwar trilogy?

Tripicus

Augur
Some novels set in Planescape? Lemme check what they're all abou-
:what:

I-I don't think I want to be familiar with those...

I can't remember if they were bad as pulp fantasy if held in isolation of past Planescape material. But the series culminates into a full blown invasion of Sigil, as opposed to the Blood War spilling over in the case of the Slags, on plane-hopping popcorn (some sort of seed they set on fire). It's been 15 years since I read these, but I believe this was tied in with someones hereditary line being portal keys?

I don't know, but the image of demons on flaming seeds flying through the air into Sigil has never really left my mind, and a minor god being let into Sigil seems a little less repugnant. Although, that is sort of what happens within the module "Die Vecna Die".

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The tale of how the triumvirate of evil came to being by slaying the original god of evil would be good too"

You are a fukkin' idiot. They never slayed him. You are ignorant. Do not speak of what you do not know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom