Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age How to Enjoy Dragon Age: Origins

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Then you waltz in as a mage, do mage shit and... ally with the templars?
The Templars are allying with the *Wardens*, not a mage. Big difference if you paid attention to the lore. Siding with the Templars is optional too, in case you missed that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
the cognitive dissonance of playing a mage vs how they're treated in-game is astounding

Curious criticism. If you're a simulationist, the game is definetely not for you. It has invisible walls and gameplay contrivances galore. It plays pretty great though.
I don't think you need to recast my frame of reference as that of a "simulationist" to make the point that a huge pillar of the game's narrative is the role of mage's in society, and the templars being adverse to them. Then you waltz in as a mage, do mage shit and... ally with the templars?

It was just sloppy, pretty consistent with DAO as a whole.

I'm not recasting it. I think it's a peculilar criticism in that it's very particular and I never even noticed it. RPGs are filled with that kind of dissonance.

Robber Baron

Savant
The beginning might be a slog, but once you leave Lothering it only gets better and better. That said I always played with 6 active party members(through console commands) for maximum adventure feels and party banter, and then some mods(including nude and expanded sex scenes). It's just such a carefully crafted nerd power fantasy adventure with some great c&c I can't understand how not to love it unless you want to be a sad contrarian.

I never got around to playing DA: II, mainly due to the combat being fully real time. However I hear it can be fun...does anyone recommend it?
Yeah check it out on sale. It's without a doubt a horrific RPG by any standard, but fun can be had if you're in the right mood. It's like Origins fused with Mtn Dew, a "dude bro" RPG, a product of its time. Just be prepared for a shallow and linear experience.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The Templars are allying with the *Wardens*, not a mage. Big difference if you paid attention to the lore. Siding with the Templars is optional too, in case you missed that.
I played it in 2009/10 so my recollection of the particulars is not sharp. You, playing a mage, interact with and can ally with factions committed to the ethnic-cleansing of mages. That's the point, it was dissonant.

To Grunker 's point, if the rest of the game was fine it would just be a quirk. But it's a sloppy misstep for a core piece of the game's narrative, on top of a lot of other sloppy systems. I get that there's a lot of acceptance of low quality games here, tons of people play 3D Fallouts or Bethesda games and love them - that's ok. Kinda. The narrative dissonance is just a cherry on top of a heap of actual gameplay and mechanics issues that sum into a leaning tower of derp.

Vatnik Wumao
I played it in 2009/10 so my recollection of the particulars is not sharp. You, playing a mage, interact with and can ally with factions committed to the ethnic-cleansing of mages. That's the point, it was dissonant.
Nothing dissonant about it. The Templars are intent on purging that Circle due to the risk posed by some blood mages remaining undetected within its ranks even after you deal with their leaders, but otherwise business would go on as usual with fresh mages being brought there to be watched over by the Templars.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Yeah agris your memory of this is completely wrong. The Templars explicitly aren't anti-mage nazis. In fact, they're officially supposed to be their protectors.

Vatnik Wumao
You're welcome, agris.

From the codex entry pertaining to the Right of Anullment:

In the 83rd year of the Glory Age, one of the mages of the Nevarran Circle was found practicing forbidden magic. The templars executed him swiftly, but this brewed discontent among the Nevarra Circle. The mages mounted several magical attacks against the templars, vengeance for the executed mage, but the knight-commander was unable to track down which were responsible.

Three months later, the mages summoned a demon and turned it loose against their templar watchers. Demons, however, are not easily controlled. After killing the first wave of templars who tried to contain it, the demon took possession of one of its summoners. The resulting abomination slaughtered templars and mages both before escaping into the countryside.

The grand cleric sent a legion of templars to hunt the fugitive. They killed the abomination a year later, but by that time it had slain 70 people.

Divine Galatea, responding to the catastrophe in Nevarra and hoping to prevent further incidents, granted all the grand clerics of the Chantry the power to purge a Circle entirely if they rule it irredeemable. This Right of Annulment has been performed 17 times in the last 700 years.

—From Of Fires, Circles, and Templars: A History of Magic in the Chantry, by Sister Petrine, Chantry scholar

It's basically the equivalent of a police force deciding to purge the whole population of a rioting prison.

Vatnik Wumao
Reasons for mages to exist:
Because the enemy (e.g. Tevinter) has them too. Same reason for the sorcerers providing a big asset to the Nilfgaardians in their wars against the North in the Witcher setting.
You don't need mages to fight mages, you need templars.
Fair enough, although that puts you at the mercy of the Dwarves since you'd need a greater supply of lyrium in order to expand the Templar forces.

Codex Year of the Donut
Reasons for mages to exist:
Because the enemy (e.g. Tevinter) has them too. Same reason for the sorcerers providing a big asset to the Nilfgaardians in their wars against the North in the Witcher setting.
You don't need mages to fight mages, you need templars.
Fair enough, although that puts you at the mercy of the Dwarves since you'd need a greater supply of lyrium in order to expand the Templar forces.
Easier to negotiate with dwarves than powermad dress wearing sissies who let spirits inhabit their bodies.

Vatnik Wumao
Easier to negotiate with dwarves than powermad dress wearing sissies who let spirits inhabit their bodies.
No need to negotiate, bro. :smug:
The world treats all mages with caution, but the Qunari are especially hard on their own. The strict and regimented treatment of Circle mages by the templars pales in comparison to that of the Saarebas by the Qunari. Whereas the Circle mages have relative freedom within their towers, Saarebas are seemingly prisoners within their own body, donning a set of heavy pauldrons with chains attached to them, perhaps to act as a form of leash, while their faces are hidden beneath a metal visor. In extreme cases their lips may be stitched together.[1] If found practicing forbidden magic, their tongues are cut out to prevent them from corrupting others.[2]

Saarebas do not receive a proper instruction and are essentially hedge mages. Even so, they are said to be much more powerful than most human or elf mages. They are considered weapons and as such are trained with the focus on destruction.[3]

In Qunari society, a mage is never allowed to be alone, and must always be kept under watch by an Arvaarad. If Saarebas separate from their keeper, they must be slain, or commit suicide, according to the Qun. The chained armor the Saarebas are forced to wear can immobilize them through a device held by an Arvaarad. The Qunari also invented a mobile version of the magic-blocking device which makes mages unable to cast spells – it is in the form of a collar.[4]

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
the cognitive dissonance of playing a mage vs how they're treated in-game is astounding

Curious criticism. If you're a simulationist, the game is definetely not for you. It has invisible walls and gameplay contrivances galore. It plays pretty great though.
I don't think you need to recast my frame of reference as that of a "simulationist" to make the point that a huge pillar of the game's narrative is the role of mage's in society, and the templars being adverse to them. Then you waltz in as a mage, do mage shit and... ally with the templars?

It was just sloppy, pretty consistent with DAO as a whole.

This is definitely a big problem with the game overall. The narrative does not match the game play, what they would call "ludo-narrative dissonance."

For example, BioWare makes a big huge fucking deal about racism against Elves. The Elf prologue is all about people treating you like shit, they make these huge dumb claims about Elves being discriminated against, and so on. Then you get into the game and if you're playing as an elf, nobody seems to give a single shit. Same thing with Dwarfs -- no matter your origin (noble or scoundrel) after the beginning origin stories, nobody seems to give a shit and your origina has no impact on the story as a whole. I think this was BioWare just biting off more than they could competently chew. They oversold the origin shit. They would have been much better off to just make your Grey Warden story the origin for everyone, regardless of class, and spent more time fleshing that out. Or making specializations that didn't suck hot ass.

Yosharian

Arcane
It feels like a single player MMO with the most boilerplate dark fantasy setting and absolute garbage combat.
That's... that's the game

If you think DA:O is bad don't go anywhere near DA:I, you'll have a fucking aneurysm trying to play that one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom