Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age How to Enjoy Dragon Age: Origins

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
DAO heralded the Dark Age so it can go fuck itself.

Robber Baron

Savant
AKHCTUALLY it was KOTOR, then I found out they are making a fantasy KOTOR and I was like BRUH

680full-dragon-age%3A-origins-screenshot.jpg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I have this recollection that I swear to God is true, I just cannot prove it. It has always bothered me.

Waaaay back in the day, I want to say 2006/2007, before the EA buyout, the Dragon Age website was delightfully corny in that nerdy, RPG way. They were talking about classes, stats, etc. It looked like how it should have looked: a site thrown together by a bunch of CRPG nerds, almost like the wiki for Underrail.

Then, I distinctly remember visiting the site after the EA buyout and it had changed drastically -- the dragon flying across the screen, blood spatters, etc. I figured at the time it was just the infusion of EA marketing money, like some brand guy at EA said "Hey dudes, your website fucking sucks, let's do this instead!" and I also feel like that's when the tone of the game changed. But now I realize the change was much more substantial.

I wish I could go back and find the old webpage.

Robber Baron

Savant
I have this recollection that I swear to God is true, I just cannot prove it. It has always bothered me.

Waaaay back in the day, I want to say 2006/2007, before the EA buyout, the Dragon Age website was delightfully corny in that nerdy, RPG way. They were talking about classes, stats, etc. It looked like how it should have looked: a site thrown together by a bunch of CRPG nerds, almost like the wiki for Underrail.

Then, I distinctly remember visiting the site after the EA buyout and it had changed drastically -- the dragon flying across the screen, blood spatters, etc. I figured at the time it was just the infusion of EA marketing money, like some brand guy at EA said "Hey dudes, your website fucking sucks, let's do this instead!" and I also feel like that's when the tone of the game changed. But now I realize the change was much more substantial.

Check out web.archive

https://web.archive.org/web/20040618152714/http://www.bioware.com/games/dragon_age/

Codex Year of the Donut

Sounds like you're thinking of the bioware forums before they blew them up because the mods became fags(DING DONG BANNU)

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's a great game. It's on this website's top RPGs of all time, so a lot of this is just retarded grandstanding. The class I loved the most was Arcane Warrior. I went full off-tank (SH) with some cc abilities. Alistair, Morrigan, Leiliana, and me were my go-to party. Shale is also a really fun companion and has some great banter with Sten, IIRC.

I really liked that lore for the Quinari. I'm pretty sure they probably fucked them up in DA: 2. I remember people on the BW forums used to argue about this, but some people say that the Quinari were supposed to have horns the entire time. I just thought it was BW trying to be stupid and edgy since Sten didn't have any. Anyone know if there is any truth to this... or was this just that fat cuck Chris Priestly being a BW apologist.

Anyways, those fucking BW mods were the fucking worst. Also, if you got banned from the forum, you couldn't access your game. Happened to me once. I wasn't able to connected to the BioWare server to get any trophies or use some of the online features. I think someone finally made a big fuss and some internet gaming magazine "broke" the story.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Also, i never bought the setting as a dark one. It look like your typical copy paste fantasy setting, with some dark element slapped at the last minute, that shatter my suspension of belief.
I would understand saying "Dragon Age is discounted Warhammer Dark Fantasy", but to say it's not dark is a bit much:

• You have scheming, backstabbing Dwarves who are eager to kill each other and live in a caste-like, dystopian society. All this despite the fact that their supposed "empire" is in severe decline.
  • Humans in Dragon Age will do anything for power, gold or whatever else they want. Human noble player will be betrayed by a friend, losing his mother, father and land in the process.
  • City Elves will essentially be raped by human nobles (primae noctis) and are treated like second-class citizens/trash.
  • Magic is super dangerous for casters, because it's linked to a demon dimension and there is also blood magic involved. It's so dangerous, in fact, that there is a special knightly order dedicated solely to keeping mages in check.
  • The Darkspawn Horde is very similar to legions of Chaos attacking Empire/Kislev. You even get a scene at the end, where the father says goodbye to his wife and son to go fight the Darkspawns, only have his throat cut at the end of the cinematic, to underline to the player how hopeless and brutal this world is.

The Lore in Origins was the good part. But the single-player-MMO type gameplay and the horribly generic graphics was a big letdown.

Robber Baron

Savant
Key Dragon Age Features
  • Cinematic story-driven single-player campaign
  • Separate campaign designed specifically for a multi-player experience
  • Mod tools for great custom content
  • Set in a new fantasy world created by BioWare for fans of its past titles
  • Participate in massive battles
  • Party-based gameplay for outstanding tactical combat and immersive character interaction

Always remember what EA took from you

Codex Year of the Donut
Key Dragon Age Features
  • Party-based gameplay for outstanding tactical combat and immersive character interaction

The mod tools are decent afaik. All of the games built on aurora and its descendants are fairly easy to mod. Especially due to how it loads mods + loose files making it easy to just drop mods in.
So they didn't take that part away.

Robber Baron

Savant
The mod tools are decent afaik. All of the games built on aurora and its descendants are fairly easy to mod. Especially due to how it loads mods + loose files making it easy to just drop mods in.
So they didn't take that part away.

But where is my multiplayer campaign? To think Larian of all studios would bank on the concept in the end.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Key Dragon Age Features

Dude, I'll say it right now that anyone wanting online multiplayer for an RPG needs to have their throat ripped out. I'm grateful if EA forced them to cut that stupid shit.

Robber Baron

Savant
Dude, I'll say it right now that anyone wanting online multiplayer for an RPG needs to have their throat ripped out. I'm grateful if EA forced them to cut that stupid shit.

B..but it says separate campaign meaning the single player one is still there and everyone gets to enjoy both types of experience

Codex Year of the Donut
One benefit of (good) multiplayer campaign design/writing is that there is no "chosen one" bullshit. Each playable character is written to be equally as prominent in the story as the others rather than being delegated to second class "companion"

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

B..but it says separate campaign meaning the single player one is still there and everyone gets to enjoy both types of experience
I can't sleep at night knowing multiplayer cucks get their way. It won't be enjoyable to me.

Vatnik Wumao
One benefit of (good) multiplayer campaign design/writing is that there is no "chosen one" bullshit. Each playable character is written to be equally as prominent in the story as the others rather than being delegated to second class "companion"
If we go by SWTOR though, BioWare is incapable of good multiplayer campaign design (thinking of the way in which the expansions were designed with force users in mind in particular). :M

Codex Year of the Donut
If we go by SWTOR though, BioWare is incapable of good multiplayer campaign design (thinking of the way in which the expansions were designed with force users in mind in particular). :M
The expansions were hilarious as a trooper though. Collecting wood and stone to make a bazooka.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
WTF, I'm sure that doesn't exist. I've never seen a good online RPG that I was dying to play. I did play Guild Wars back in the day, but I don't even remember that storyline. It was so forgettable.

Vatnik Wumao
WTF, I'm sure that doesn't exist.
Some of the class stories in SWTOR are decent (Sith Agent in particular for the greater illusion of C&C, Jedi Knight for its KotOR-esque feel).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom