Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HYENAS - Creative Assembly's new Sci-Fi multiplayer shooter [CANCELED]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I would rather play Kane and Lynch ...

sosmoflux

Educated
So the Alpha for this is supposedly going and there are some leaks - anyone got the goss?

Hobknobling

Learned
Cybercuck, shitty techno, ugly nigger women, tryhard deadpool humour, multiplayer only. Every hallmark of soy gaming in one trailer.
Pretty much sums it up. Violently offensive trash. Probably not going to be a success, thankfully.

Quick peek at the Creative Assembly website:

We prioritise skills training, lifelong learning, inclusive behaviours and wellbeing. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging, seeking wider perspectives from our Diversity and Inclusion Network and Employee Resource Groups.
We recognise that education beyond Further Education in the UK is increasingly becoming a privilege; under-represented groups in the games industry such as Black and ethnic minorities are disproportionately impacted by education barriers. However, the desire of many young people to learn technology or STEAM related subjects is increasing. We want to help break down barriers to the industry, focusing on supporting under-represented and disadvantaged groups such as women, Black and ethnic minority communities, and those from lower socio-economic backgrounds.

Another studio that is aspiring to be a political project funded by games and it shows in the end product.

toughasnails

These things are extra shitty bc, given the money in play here, either the game fails and SEGA axes or massively downsizes CA or the game is a success and CA is solely focused on it in the foreseeable future.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So, uh....

Total War getting gutted for this, and the end result is:

3.png

2.png

1.png

a.jpg

b.jpg

.... just as Overwatch 2 hit Steam, and is underperforming there.
And meanwhile, SEGA's performance is....
sega.png

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I played the Alpha of that a half year ago or so. Gameplay-wise, the game did nothing egregiously wrong, nor did it do anything particularly well. The art style is shitty and washes out the otherwise exellently animated characters.

Bottom line is, this is DOA.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Sega cancels Creative Assembly's Hyenas

Sega has dramatically canned Hyenas, the upcoming space-set loot shooter from Creative Assembly.

The publisher demoed the game to press and public only last month at Gamescom.

Today, Sega announced it had cancelled Hyenas in a financial update. It blamed the decision on "lower profitability of the European region" which had caused it to review its project portfolio. "The resulting action will be to cancel Hyenas and some unannounced titles under development," Sega wrote.
A look at gameplay from Hyenas.
Hyenas was being developed by Creative Assembly, the UK-based team better known for its long-running Total War strategy series.

But this space-based loot shooter was something very different: a hero shooter that looks a bit like Payday in space. Here, the loot was licensed objects you'd recognise from the real world - like a Sonic the Hedgehog figurine.

One of the heroes in the game was even a Sonic the Hedgehog cosplayer.

In early August, Sega top brass raised eyebrows by publicly branding Hyenas' development as "challenging". At the time, Sega said it was also looking into "adjusting" the game's business model - hinting it could launch as a free-to-play game instead.

After playing a few matches of Hyenas on the Sega booth at Gamescom, I sat down with two members of its development team to discuss how the project was faring, and Sega's comments.
At the time, Creative Assembly was upbeat on the game's chances, while acknowledging the risks involved.

"I think it's fair," product director Alex Hunnisett said, when asked about Sega's "challenging" comment.

"It's a new IP, a new genre for us, that is challenging. I think [associate game director Christoph Will] turned around and said 'if you ask 10 game developers if what they're doing is challenging, nine would say yes and the other one would be lying'."

ADL

Prophet
NDA over I presume. It was simultaneously extremely fun at competitive levels and the most cringe inducing thing I've ever played.
In other words, it was Lawbreakers 2.0

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ooooooooof.
Better to cancel it now than to pay $100`000`000 marketing it, have it reach 10k players peak and fall down to 500, and then shit it down, I guess.
They also cancelled "some unannounced games in development". Creative Assembly had previously said they are working on 2 action games in addition to Hyenas. So maybe they got double tapped?

At least this is bullish for Total War, as it seems the developer resources will be reallocated to that.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'm still amazed someone thought, even for an instant, that a game where you are a bunch of degenerates coming from The Taint to explore The Crack for funko pops was a thing meant to be.

It sounded like imageboard shitposting. Or a mission from Cruelty Squad, where you have to exterminate all the fuckers.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Ruthless Japs don't fuck about.

And we'll see how smug those cunts at CA are now with a failing total war series and their future GAAS shit cut out from under them.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Games with such a revolting art style derserve the rope. Cancellation's an absolute incline.

:timetoburn:

toughasnails

fizzelopeguss
Not that the folks at CA wouldn't enjoy having a money printer for which they could produce low effort content for years to come, but the "based japs" higher up at Sega are ones who ordered this in the first place and without whom it would've never been a thing. And they are the ones whose positions aren't in question whereas I see them instituting a major "restructuring" (or insert another euphemism of choice) at CA.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
fizzelopeguss
Not that the folks at CA wouldn't enjoy having a money printer for which they could produce low effort content for years to come, but the "based japs" higher up at Sega are ones who ordered this in the first place and without whom it would've never been a thing. And they are the ones whose positions aren't in question whereas I see them instituting a major "restructuring" (or insert another euphemism of choice) at CA.

They had it, It was called Total War.

CA are IIRC one of Sega's biggest studio and asset, they have clout. This game had the stink of some 40 year old bellend in the south of England all over it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They had it, It was called Total War.
They completely destroyed Total War though, the battles lost all their impact. Complete shitshow.

The bronze age is my favorite time in history yet I can't even be assed to care about the upcoming Pharaoh TW. Battles are going to feel incredibly limp and all about unit matchups rather than real tactics.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Would love it if CA got sheared down to less than a hundred veteran employees and got cracking on something that isn't shit.

A man can dream.

Deflowerer

Arcane
fizzelopeguss

Nah, people have said that Sega is really light in managing its western devs, especially CA. It's the senior management of CA who is at fault here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom