Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age I just finished Dragon Age Origins and some parts of it werent awfull

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I was thinking about replaying this, but it seems to have major compatibility issues with Windows 10. Usually crashes after about five minutes and runs like shit. Anyone know a fix? Or should I just not bother trying to get it to work?
GOG version? I have no problems with my copy on version 1809 of Win10. I did use the LAA patch, though.

I was thinking about replaying this, but it seems to have major compatibility issues with Windows 10. Usually crashes after about five minutes and runs like shit. Anyone know a fix? Or should I just not bother trying to get it to work?
GOG version? I have no problems with my copy on version 1809 of Win10. I did use the LAA patch, though.
Steam. I didn’t research it much, because I’m sort of apathetic about replaying it, but a quick Google search led me to thinking it was a fairly common problem on Win10.

curds

Magister
I miss when you just bought a game and installed it and that was it, not "curration" coming at you from one way and DRM from the other.

Anyway, on topic, older games generally seem to run better when you use their GOG release. Since you own DAO on steam, I wouldn't feel too bad about "acquiring" the GOG version somehow and trying that.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Steam version worked fine for me on Windows 10. At first it used to crash constantly in certain areas but lowering the texture quality fixed all the issues.

I really disliked the whole experience simply because they force you to save the world, everything is so gloomy, the end of the world, and everyone is an emo or edge lady/lord. This, Mass Effect...are so depressing that after playing them I feel happy with DOS absurd quest to save a chicken egg.
I should never have clicked on this thread.

Nothing emo or edgy about Alistair, Leliana, Oghren, Shale, Wynne, Anders, or Sigrun. Morrigan and Sten can be a bit edgy, but it's incorporated quite well in their character and background. Zevran is clearly there only to be killed as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
The Steam version worked fine for me on Windows 10. At first it used to crash constantly in certain areas but lowering the texture quality fixed all the issues.

I really disliked the whole experience simply because they force you to save the world, everything is so gloomy, the end of the world, and everyone is an emo or edge lady/lord. This, Mass Effect...are so depressing that after playing them I feel happy with DOS absurd quest to save a chicken egg.
I should never have clicked on this thread.

Nothing emo or edgy about Alistair, Leliana, Oghren, Shale, Wynne, Anders, or Sigrun. Morrigan and Sten can be a bit edgy, but it's incorporated quite well in their character and background. Zevran is clearly there only to be killed as soon as possible.
Alistair is so damned emo that I always recruit Loghain just to spite the bastard.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I consider DA:O to be Bioware's last honest last attempt at making a cRPG, before fully transitioning to corporate trainwrecks (DA2) and Cinematic Experience With Growing XP Bar (ME games). And I appreciate the attempt. Really, I do!
Sadly, it's plagued by bad design decisions. Bad decisions which interact with each other and make the whole picture even worse.
1. Quite bad level scaling. Ensures rather spongy enemies through 90% of the game.
2. MMO-inspired combat with cooldowns and repetitions. Not the worst idea when you have to coordinate in multiplayer. Awful, awful choice for single player.
3. Obsession with corridor/simple labyrinth combat locations.
A warehouse in a mage tower? It's actually a large rectangle-shaped corridor cave (In a tower. Above ground. I guess a wizard did it.).
You have to deal with criminals before exploring the looooooooong Deep Roads dungeons? Well, how about a corridor dungeon as an aperitif? Because the gang lives in a colon shaped cave.
There's some exceptions, but most combat locations don't make sense, they are just designed to extend game time. It breaks immersion and it wasn't even necessary. The game is long enough.

TL;DR
Long corridor combat locations + repetitive cooldown combat + spongy level scaled enemies = You're gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Huh. Yeah that seems to fix it. Weird.
There's some kind of memory handling problem. Once you reach the bigger more open areas (like Denerim), you will probably need to lower the setting even more.

Old Hans

Arcane
I was playing this recently and some of throw away quests are just bad. You know, like when you're out in the wilds and you summon a demon or follow the chasind stone markers. it's all very dragon age inquisition where it just leads to some shitty item

Semiurge

Cipher
There's some kind of memory handling problem. Once you reach the bigger more open areas (like Denerim), you will probably need to lower the setting even more.

Using both resolutions above 1080p and highest quality textures will ensure that DAO will crash reliably. Lowering either is simply unacceptable for such an old game, so the only option is unofficial patches. 1080p seems to be the critical limit, at least on Windows 10. I never had so many crashes with 1080p and best texture quality on Windows XP.

Absinthe

Arcane
Awakening let you make all dwarf party but aside from Orzomar part it was 5/10 game with some lore stolen from War-Hammer (mages using demon infested plane to cast magic). Of course all Bioware games after turned to be even worse aside from ME2 which was fun but I do remember it only cause it was a year with no good RPG.
Risen and Knights of the Chalice also came out in 2009.

I just wish more RPGs had some equivalent to the Arcane Warrior. Using a magic stat to satisfy the equip requirements of non-magic equipment is neato.
Damn shame that Arcane Warriors don't actually get anything useful for attacking though. The only thing it's good at is being an unkillable mage in armor. They completely forgot to give it any offensive abilities. All the Arcane Warrior NPCs actually have access to Warrior talents, unlike the player characters.

Tye

Novice
I just wish more RPGs had some equivalent to the Arcane Warrior. Using a magic stat to satisfy the equip requirements of non-magic equipment is neato.
Damn shame that Arcane Warriors don't actually get anything useful for attacking though. The only thing it's good at is being an unkillable mage in armor. They completely forgot to give it any offensive abilities. All the Arcane Warrior NPCs actually have access to Warrior talents, unlike the player characters.
I always figured tanking was kind of the point, what with the extra buff spells and all. Useful for when you want to play a mage but get tired of constant game overs every time the PC keels over. I always used blood magic and normal spells for the big damage numbers.

mushaden

Scholar
I just ate poop and some parts were corn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom