Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I just played Quake 2

DraQ

Arcane
Just downloaded it out of morbid curiosity...
Be sure it's the CD version :smug:

Also, do post impressions.
So far it froze on me on startup under dosbox, not sure if want to go any further.
Probably not a CD version, but I can't really be arsed to downolad a whole CD of turds.

BTW, are you morbidly curious enough to play Unreal 2?

And let us know if it is better than Quake 2 ;)
Probably not.

Q2 is easily better than Unreal 2 (duh), I might even rate it higher than RTNP (as a whole, locally RTNP easily beats the crap out of Q2 in many places) due to the latter's relative lack of atmosphere and cohesion.
Q2's main problem is that enemies are joke in SP, regardless of skill level - they are all fucking cripples.

Blandness and unimaginative arsenal are problems too, of course, but they wouldn't matter that much if fighting and killing things was fun. Q2 got the killing part more or less right, though it could be improved with stuff like locational damage - it's fighting part where it utterly failed.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Eh. You played quake 1 for the SP challenge, doom for the level design, duke nukem for the "atmosphere", quake 2 for the mods and UT for the multiplayer.

DraQ

Arcane
Eh. You played quake 1 for the SP challenge, doom for the level design, duke nukem for the "atmosphere", quake 2 for the mods and UT for the multiplayer.
What mods are there for Q2 BTW?
I know fuckload of U1 and UT ones, but can't think of of any for Q2 aside from maybe Chaos, but that's only because it later got remade for UT.

Also, the problem with Q2 isn't that it's easy, but that it not just refuses to even try to be challenging, but actually has enemies that have been severely crippled on purpose so that they can't pose challenge.

Remember this thing skyway posted about losing in game being fine as long as it evokes respect for the game? Losing in Q2 only evokes loathing. For yourself. For having ran into grenades 2-5 times in a row.

Also Duke Nukem for "atmosphere", but Unreal 1 for atmosphere.

Anyway Blood>>DN3D when it comes to build engine classics.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What mods are there for Q2 BTW?

the ones that stuck most firmly in my mind were Threewave CTF (basic capute the flag but good maps), Jailbreak, Action Q2, eraserbot and best of all: QPong :love:

Oh, and the Q2 AvP mod before Fox killed it :M

Admittedly, those were all for multiplayer. I didn't have the interwebz to download many single player mods for Q2 back then.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
They are all SP+MP games and the MP in each is arguably better than the entirety of MP exclusive Q3 shit.

Almost had me there. Yeah, vanilla HL and Unreal had really great MP. Absolutely fucking stellar.

Well, to be fair, Unreal wasn't that bad, just very obviously developed with single player first in mind, and a lot of it was very clunky. UT99 is where Unreal multiplayer begins.

MCA
Haha. At least HL spawned more mods than any other FPS, many of them multiplayer and Unreal came with mutators which the modding scenes adopted pretty quickly.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This conversation makes me want to ask :
What are the best single player mods for DN3D/Q1/Q2/Q3/HL1/HL2 ?

Only multiplayer seems to be getting the talk.

DN3D:
BDP The Gate (watch They Live and Escape from New York before playin)
Nuclear Winter
Caribbean Vacation (official total conversion)
Q3:
SP mod for Q3, are you kidding me?
Anyway, EntityPlus and... Defrag. FFS dude.
http://code.google.com/p/entityplus/
HL1:
Are you afraid of monsters?

If you're searching for good WADs for Doom II then check winners of annual Cacowards here:
http://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus fucking Christ, this game is scary - I actually got killed because I couldn't coordinate my movements after getting startled by 3 cyborgs with chainguns

Not to mention about Quake 2 fantastic design of maps. These guys were unholy good professionals.

However "bad" you think Quake 2 was, Unreal was far, far worse.

Ahh, the memories. It's like Groundhog's Day on the Codex.

I miss Phelot :(.

Gondolin

Arcane
John Romero wants to make an old-school FPS.

.screen2.jpg

"I got this idea for years, it's about these big badass monsters with boobs that are gonna invade Earth and steal our chicks or something, but there's definitely gonna be boobs, that's for sure."

<four years later> A wild failed kickstarter appears!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

Severian Silk

Haven't played Quake 2, but Quake 1 was really scary when it was new, especially with the NIN soundtrack.

DOOMs made you panic because of the speed and number of enemies. But I still think Q1 was scarier.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why play it in software mode when it was designed from the start to use 3D acceleration? When it was presented to the public, a few developpers felt that they had to scratch what they had done until then to switch to the new engine because everything looked suddenly dated. I could understand using software for the first Quake, which is what I do, because that's how it was designed and some effects like underwater distortion do not work with a 3D accelerated port, but not Quake 2, unless something escapes me.
our computer when I grew up could only render Q2 in software so that's how I remember it. if I would play it of nostalgia reasons I would definitely go for software instead of opengl

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom