Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed I want to be an Urist - A community Dwarf Fortress LP

Cassidy

Arcane
Haters gonna Lyric Suite on this one. But it fits well within the theme of this fortress.

From the private files of Jacob Marsh Kolled, High Priest of the Esoteric Ordir of Dagonag'eii

ZR1MJ.jpg

DEATH MAY DIE DEATH MAY DIE DEATH MAY DIE DEATH MAY DIE (completely alien scripts follow to the end of the line)

I can't stand it anymore! I have spent days doing nothing but building graves for the dead. I do not want to die, I do not want to perish in the cold and isolated land, I do not want to be a Prisoner of Ice! The nightmares returned to me and it is obvious they demand more. They hunger.

I have seen the eyes, the many eyes, the very many eyes and then gone. I have seen the flesh and the flesh gone, I have seen the limbs, and the limbs gone. They are and aren't. Even if there were hundreds of us in this place and all of them were seasoned warriors, I fear that the thing from my nightmares would slaughter us all without any difficulty if it could find a way in and wished to. We are not defending ourselves successfully, for we are now hostages in this icy prison as the siege of the Deep Goblins and probably far worse things out there continues.

The riches of this place... for this. I will find a way to turn the odds in my favor, even if I have to sign a pact with those things. The temple construction alone has proved to be insufficient. I must...

ScrzU.jpg

NO CHILD DESERVES TO LIVE IN A TWISTED PLACE LIKE THIS. TO KILL A CHILD BORN HERE IS AN ACT OF MERCY!

It is obvious now: I will spare every child born in this frozen hell from the misery of existence and satiate the desires of these primal abominations at the same time by sacrificing them to the eternal liquid flame, once the temple is complete and filled with magma, I will put them out of the misery of this languid existence where the gold is as abundant as the horrors.

The words whispered help me soothe the nightmares, they read my mind, for they know my intentions and gave me some peace now that they realize I am ready to trade anything for sleeping in peace and not being eaten at all. And perhaps, perhaps they will give me more!

For my wife back and for both of us to live forever, I'd do anything in their name. I have spoken a spell:

P'nghil C'nath M'lti H'ded D'kis H'van Hopw Roewr Ne

And slept in peace for an entire week since the times of the disaster that caused the death of most of us, having very excellent nights with my still unsconscious bride. Her body is back to mint shape but her mind is still gone. I will one day journey to the great towers of black stone, I will find the mythical Negronomicon written by the mad dwarf Urist McThule and with the Negronomicon and De Seniorem Vermis Misteriis in my possession, the key to understanding the way to achieve the total revival of my wife shall be in my hands.

At least her involuntary reactions have confirmed I haven't lost my virility and can concentrate on pleasant nights despite all the horrors. With her I have my mind clear of all of it for a while, but I must be careful to ensure nobody will realize my wife is alive for they are too superstitious to understand.

Am I being too much of a Stereotypical Villain? In this far cold, morality is different. It is not stereotypically villainous to sacrifice a few to ensure the survival of the many, nor it is to bring back a loved one through whichever means necessary. I want to think I will be remembered as a hero for paving the way for us to achieve more than success and survival, but also immortality.

8O2JZ.jpg

ubUF8.jpg

More iron. We cannot be completely at the mercy of the whims of the old ones. If necessary, we must be ready to break this pact and fight for our lives. But hematite is not easily found. I think that once the temple is finished, perhaps it would be a good time to dig deeper, deeper, deeper and deeper. The siege seems to be gone, the nightmares finally over.

i1nye.jpg

But that lasted as little as a few days. They want everything. We want everything. There is a conflict of interests, and I know how to correct such conflict. They want a way inside, we want to contain them, and perhaps, all undesirables could serve as a perfect sacrifice for them, while they could serve as tomb guardians not even the most skilled thief would dare to face, ensuring that once the ice buries us forever, we shall never be disturbed and remain under the frozen grave for eternity, beyond the age of men, dwarves and elves, eternal.

h8cJQ.jpg

The sacrificial chamber is simple. There will be an entrance to the inside, but it will be inaccessible and isolated from the rest of the fortress save for a single pit that leads directly down into the magma. Those deemed deserving of sacrifice shall be entombed along these isolated corridors, and eventually backed next to the pit, and given a merciful choice: to be eaten first or to die by fire.

rr8rF.jpg

These tunnels shall also connect straight to Hellraiser's tomb, that will be eternally sealed and guarded by the great old ones, and flooded with magma. I seriously doubt that creatures as terrifying and ancient as those that besieged our fortress and induced over nine tenths of our people to a homicidal madness from the horrific nightmares and visions they induced would be harmed by magma.

Or that they would be stopped by regular traps, if necessary. Thus I decided to make changes to the fortress entrance before unsealing it again.

PcDsJ.jpg

This statue is perfect for the entrance. It is a perfect symbol for what Virgintraded has become and also a proper honor to its founder. Placed over a smaller copy of the ward the room that once was his has, a ward built of gold flooring, it shall serve as part of the last ditch defense of Virgintraded should it be needed. For right above this statue, hanging on a support, something very heavy shall lie.

mrh8o.jpg

P2hFx.jpg

oe9Ds.jpg

oNauQ.jpg

1xM1Z.jpg

With a hollow at the statue's position, a massive block of suspended rock ready to crush anything below no matter how horrific it could be, by the pulling of a lever. And as I looked for proper statues, my mind found a perfect match for the central floor of the great old ones temple.

nkx5O.jpg

Sanjor

Novice
Oops. I missed a lot of updates. Since my useless migrant fishery worker hasn't died yet, I think I'll grab a save and check what I hope to be a hilariously depressing dossier and figure out how into adventure mode. But first: catching up on these updates.

Cassidy

Arcane
One hint for magma FUN before this final update:

Digging diagonally is safer. Having an upstairs close to the dig is even safer.

Oops. I missed a lot of updates. Since my useless migrant fishery worker hasn't died yet, I think I'll grab a save and check what I hope to be a hilariously depressing dossier and figure out how into adventure mode. But first: catching up on these updates.

I'd love to see a mini-report itt of a "demigod" character with the best possible gear challenging a Prisoner of Ice*. Go for it.

:salute:

*I replaced ordinary trolls with them to ensure sieges would feature them. As for what exactly they are, I don't want to give any spoilers.

Also having the ability of researching and practicing necromancy in Fortress Mode would greatly enrich Virgintraded. I guess the infamous character will just keep trying without success to raise his dead wife "Stereotypical Villain" back to life while he serves the Great Old Ones instead of becoming a Dexter Ward.

=====================

All the slaughter and insanity that marked Virgintraded needs its own Theme Song. And this one fits perfectly with it. Choose whichever version you prefer. Or listen to another song or nothing at all while only reading the so perfectly fitting lyrics on the spoiler tag. Your choice really. And haters gonna Lyric Suite.

:M

What do I see
On the icy plains
The desolate one
(The desolate one)
It's my terrain
The wind it blows cold
Howling my name
I am the king
(I am the king)
The king of this waste
Can't you see this barren land
Lain to waste
Ravaged, scorched, yet frozen
From your neglect
I am the formless one
I came to save
You are the chosen ones
You'll be my slaves
I stand on the glacier
Above it all
Watching them crumble
(Watching you crumble)
Watching them crawl
Iced Earth has risen
Nature will fall
Death and destruction
(Death and destruction)
Nothing will fall
Can you feel the madness here
Drawing you all too near
Earth, fire, water and air
Save yourselves from despair
We are together now
Crush the cowards, do it now
End the light, end the one
We have come to save
the young ones
So on an on
The story goes
Destroying yourselves
(Destroying yourselves)
The pain it shows

From the private files of Jacob Marsh Kolled, High Priest of the Esoteric Ordir of Dagonag'eii

T3tC3.jpg

CfdAK.jpg

Damn you all to the guts of the nightmare you lazy bums! If the sacrificial chamber was already built we would have the first sacrifice ready! I ask for the Great Old Ones to devour the body and soul of this pathetic creature as the few who live have better things to do than waste time with a cheap pickpocket.

The unknown horrors are gone, for now, thus I reopened access to the surface. The current bridge over the volcano is both too simple and straightforward. Something more interesting is needed. Particularly something that can skip all the ceremony and sacrifice all the worthless soap making bums and woodsie pederasts to the eternal flame while their souls become a feast for the Old Ones. My research continues uninterrupted and it better remain that way!

Progress continue at a slow pace for the temple and chambers, and thus I decide that the security of this fortress is equally of essence. Time to build a new kind of entrance. An entrance of fire and ice, of bridges that will let those standing on them fall by command, add to that a deadly mass of rock ready to collapse, and the needs of safety will be attended.

F7of3.jpg

vstQW.jpg

May you wail for ten thousand years lazy bum! We need you to conduct trade! I don't care if you are "on break" now. Damn it our broker refuses to get to work and soon the caravan will be leaving. Too much to do and too few to do it, and I think the liason wasn't particularly pleased with our "decoration". I think this useless bureaucrat could serve well, if I can bullshit him to stay here long enough. I'll just get him to know this place and when the time comes, put him to the chamber to choose between dying by jumping on the magma or by being devoured the unknown terror.

50IzE.jpg

At least the guards of the caravan made short work of those worthless creatures. The ice is chilling, winter is coming and I expect the old ones to get back to attempt finishing their job sooner or later. I must have this fortress ready to both appease them and hold them at bay if they prove too capricious to spare us.

This winter has been the coldest so far. The sun is even more dim and short-lasted than usual, and a shroud of darkness seem to be covering this frozen land. It is obvious we have awakened something, and the liason seemed surprised we have survived. He gave reports of several settlements near the great glacier whose inhabitants went totally missing. No corpses were found, no clues to whatever happened to them, and to that he gave a disturbing report that some force was corrupting all goblins to some kind of amphibian hybrid, not only in this iced earth, but also all across the land, the deep goblins were spreading like a plague and the pure goblin race was rumored to lie on the brink of extinction. With these news, I realized that my nightmares were no bad dreasm, but reality.

Once I mentioned I desire for Virgintraded to outlast our existence as a race. Now it seems clear that the age of dwarves, of those queer elves and of men is coming to an end. I refuse to blame Virgintraded, for all points out this was event set in motion long before any of use were born.

The Great Old Ones have awakened.

O8SR7.jpg

0Ugid.jpg

SCHTm.jpg

Damn you for refusing to do your job! This worthless bastard will be one of the first in the list of sacrifices.

Fortunately the projects are proceeding at a decent pace considering our small numbers. And the liaison I intend to sacrifice to these dark gods remains distracted and in here.

M96qE.jpg

My personal tomb is nearly concluded. One day I will join you into eternity, my dear wife. Some curious miners asked me on why my tomb's architecture and design slightly resembled a penis with several heads. I refused to answer to such a lowly question of those oblivious to the Majesticness of the Great Old Ones. Except my sarcophagus is more than a grave, it is my passage to eternity, as the dreams pointed.

Next to my Golden Throne, the statues of Hellraiser and William, the two most notorious among my predecessors.

UQyY2.jpg

The new volcano entrance built almost completely from ice is finished. The old one will be disassembled except for structural supports for the suspended floors between bridges, the more important of the deconstructions is over as this will force anything wanting to come in to cross the those bridges of ice, and that is where two levers come in whenever an undesirable steps on such thin ice.

owVTM.jpg

The lower floor of the temple is ready. I ordered a brave miner to finish the last touch. I know better than Hellraiser on how to mess with the eternal flames without unwanted deaths, and the Old Ones gave me the wisdom. The future of the fortress is secured for the bridges and security traps are all set.

tPHuM.jpg

Some decided to took bets on whether the miner will survive and escape from the magma or not. An obstruction had to be removed from the pit to the sacrificial chamber too.

Tkket.jpg

Fortunately nobody got wounded as the loose stone fell on the magma.

sz9iv.jpg

It is working and no casualties happened this time. Whoever made bets on the opposite is going to owe a lot. I have also, should the magma start to fill more than the lower floor, a safety mechanism to seal the magma channel from the temple, and there is another reason I built it. Not a reason as bad as the Old Ones themselves, but still bad:

I saw a magma crab the other day. Horrible creatures, I avoid them whenever I can, even when it takes collapsing some rock to disconnect a magma-filled chamber from the volcano.

S7XPA.jpg

Something is making noises underground. Nothing to worry about because all passages to those worthless caves are sealed.

OAlwl.jpg

Damn these Kobold souls to the feast of the horrors! An artifact I care little about got stolen!

ZQnFp.jpg

I guess the old ones are as capricious as predicted. How am I supposed to sacrifice the children if you go and steal them from us to lead them to fates probably worse than death? We cannot protect our children! Sacrificing them is now obviously as much of an act of mercy as possible.

l9SDb.jpg

Get out of my sight scum!

RyNCa.jpg

Thank your gods I haven't found the Negronomicon and De Seniorem Vermis Misteriis yet or I would have taken your essential salts and soul from whatever hole it lies now and make you suffer even after death! I would mutilate you then raise you again, then mutilate you and again raise you for a long, long time. Damn these hybrids, they are too dumb and pathetic to honor their masters. If we prove better than them , now that the age of the Great Old Ones is nigh, we may yet survive in something better than a lifetime of terror hoping to be eaten first.

stMBH.jpg

You do not scare me! Come get me you bastard!

UGAX2.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAMWMWAMWAMWMMAWMAMWMWAMWAMWA

I hope that laughter was not too stereotypical. Anyway:

Your suffering is so pleasant! You killed my friends, you stole our children, thus I'll keep your remains ready for reanimation once I master the secrets of life and death. You shall suffer! You shall all suffer for eternity!

I AM JACOB MARSH, THE GREAT OLD ONES FAVOR ME! I NO LONGER HAVE NIGHTMARES, I HEARD THE NAME OF THE BEAST IN A DREAM : DAGONAG'EII. ONCE I REPEAT SEVEN TIMES THE FOLLOWING CHANT, I SHALL BECOME IMMORTAL!

IA PROSP'R

V17ZD.jpg

IA P'STHULU

2Fg91.jpg

IA DAGONAG'EII

DLwGT.jpg

IA H'VAN

E12VS.jpg

HOPW ROEWR NE

I need to play an old board game called Kotor seven times too to finish the ritual, but it is too obscure. Meanwhile the completetion of the great temple has happened in time, but the sacrificial chamber didn't, although the pit is done, and lots of it also are. I know they conspire to overthrow me from power, to kill me or worse. My primary purpose has been achieved for now. To ensure I will not fall, I have renounced from managing this place, but sooner or later I shall rise again!

And if my successors do not give the sacrifice to the Great Old Ones, or dare to destroy my great works, they shall feel their wrath!

==========================

Here is the save.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6322

I had to really add some crazy plot to this one because otherwise it would be a quite boring year. The sacrificial chamber is quite done, I just didn't plan on a means of dropping undesirables inside it yet. My idea was to have a platform beneath the ice bridges leading to it so that the ones who fall, thinking themselves lucky for not falling straight inside the volcano would be in for a surprise.

And check out the other statues at the temple. I ensured they would all be appropriate for the environment.

Urist McLurker

Learned
:love: Wonderful!
I was rather worried about how this year would go, I suspected it would be just like the last two seasons of my year.
Gotta admit the temple looks pretty badass.

TripJack

Hedonist
just got caught up on the updates since garfunkels miserable failure

bravo urist and cassidy :salute:

*edit* Also FYI some new versions of DF just got released.

Krash

Arcane
Good stuff as always Cassidy! Looks like it's my turn to suffer the wrath of the Deep Ones manage Virgintraded. Time for the fort to earn its name.

ED: Unless someone else wants to go first?

Urist McLurker

Learned
I still reckon that this year, like Cassidy's will be boring without much remotely happening.

I'm of the belief that anyone who joins in now will be bored to death until things get going again.
I might be wrong of course, but I think it's better to go through the current cycle so the fortress isn't as dull as the last half of my year and Cassidy's year was for whoever wants to join at the end of my next year.

Krash

Arcane
Don't worry, I'm the weird kinda person who enjoys tidying up. In Anusblaze I spent half of my second turn making coffins and dumping crap.

Will probably update tonight.

Krash

Arcane
Or maybe not. I'm currently swamped with Uni work, but the worst will be over the days after tomorrow. I hope your disappointment will be fuel for constructive endeavors.

EDIT: I mean I won't be finished by then, but fuckit DF must take precedence over petty worldly concerns.

Cassidy

Arcane
By the way, which was the cheesiest faux Great Old Ones chant I came up with? Dagonag'eii or M'lti H'ded D'kis H'van?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Both were adequately cheesy and lulzy, approved.

Todd-Sothoth knows the gate. Todd-Sothoth is the gate. Todd-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Both of them were cheesy enough, I felt the first one was slightly cheesier but I liked the second one because it was more chant-like in my view.

Krash

Arcane
Despite the danger, some migrants have arrived!

Anyone wants a dwarf? Now's the time to claim some fresh meat.

Vernydar

Learned
I want a dwarf. I hope he shows everyone his valor before dying a horrible death squashed by some titan or forgotten beast.

Or, of course, before being sacrificed to the old ones in our stylish temple

Hellraiser

Arcane
I want one. I hope he dies an honourable death.

Does dying to a steam cloud of doom, drowning in magma, getting frozen in a block of ice, getting maimed by a crazy depressed dorf brevik (or getting mauled due to starting such a rampage himself), dying out of thirst or hunger (especially after ending up trapped in a newly dug corridor) and being devoured by a being that a mere dwarven mind cannot comprehend count as a honorable deaths?

Because Virgintraded has plenty of that kind of death to offer. :troll:

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
I'd like a dwarf too, as my previous one seems to have died in the spiral of madness out of which Virgintraded has recently pulled itself. I'd like to be a devout worshipper of Ordir the Crazed Slaughtlers, preferably the hammerer, or at least a soldier, a miner, or a metalworker.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Does dying to a steam cloud of doom, drowning in magma, getting frozen in a block of ice, getting maimed by a crazy depressed dorf brevik (or getting mauled due to starting such a rampage himself), dying out of thirst or hunger (especially after ending up trapped in a newly dug corridor) and being devoured by being that a mere dwarven mind cannot comprehend count as a honorable deaths?
In a word: yes!

:troll:

Krash

Arcane
I'd like a dwarf too, as my previous one seems to have died in the spiral of madness out of which Virgintraded has recently pulled itself. I'd like to be a devout worshipper of Ordir the Crazed Slaughtlers, preferably the hammerer, or at least a soldier, a miner, or a metalworker.

Does a Marxsdwarf (lol) please you?

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity

Does a Marxsdwarf (lol) please you?
Certainly, comrade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom