Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale I & Icewind Dale II Mod Thread

Saxon1974

Prophet
Wish there were more mods that add quests and story. While I like the games I could never finish more than half due to boredom of fight, fight, fight, rest...Fight, fight etc...

Man, IWD is a gameplay-RPG! I.e. you build a creative party, explore great locations (the exploration is God Mode, IMO) and develop your party while overcoming difficult combat. It's even better on harder difficulties where you have to be more tactical and pay closer attention.

If you want the story-heavier version of the game, play Baldur's Gate. That game has plenty of story. :)

I know it should be right up my alley as a long time RPG player (both tabletop and crpg). I tend to create balanced parties; fighter/paladin, ranger, cleric, rogue, wizard. What would you consider creative? How about Barbarian, Bard, paladin, sorceror, wizard?

Deleted Member 16721

I don't know why magic/spells aren't used more in RPGs as another way to solve story problems. I'm pretty sure IWD1's the only game to do it in a favorable fashion.

Such a great point. More creativity in this area would be great. :)

Kind of related, but I remember playing Skyrim and summoning a Daedra Lord. I had read a book in the lore that sometimes these summoned Daedra will try and trick the summoner into accepting a gift, which releases the summon spell and then the Daedra can kill the summoner or enslave their soul in a soul gem. I was expecting the Daedra to talk to me when I summoned it and offer me a gift or something, but alas, nothing. It would be so cool if you read that in a random lore book and then it's in the game without prompts telling you what to do, etc. I would hope for the same type of "natural" implementation of spells that solve situations in future games as well.

Deleted Member 16721

I know it should be right up my alley as a long time RPG player (both tabletop and crpg). I tend to create balanced parties; fighter/paladin, ranger, cleric, rogue, wizard. What would you consider creative? How about Barbarian, Bard, paladin, sorceror, wizard?

Ah, I just meant creative in that you can create whatever builds you'd like for your party. Character creation in games like IWD is extensive, so I would just look at different class kits and things that sound interesting to you. I find it's fun to occasionally play a little differently and create characters you don't usually make and go from there.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Wish there were more mods that add quests and story. While I like the games I could never finish more than half due to boredom of fight, fight, fight, rest...Fight, fight etc...
In terms of content I wouldn't want that much more, it's just that Kuldahar seems a bit half-assed while Lonelywood is fleshed out and constructed much better. Also Unfinished Business basically restores cut content, on the other hand mods that actually add quality content aren't that easy to find. Maybe a small mod that adds a few side-quests like the quest mod for BG2 would be nice. But the only story content mod at this point is IWD companion mod and I would advise to stay away from it. I tried it and it's full of cringeworthy drivel of the lowest bioware-fanfiction caliber. I don't think I've ever seen a more annoying gathering of buffoons.

IMO IWD is made for powergaming, or simply out of the ordinary party combinations. Dual-class , multi-class , go wild. My current party has a fighter/mage dual, a ranger/cleric multi, a fighter/thief multi, a fighter/druid dual, a bard and a paladin. I've seen a very interesting LP with a party of 6 fighter/thief/mage characters. On the other hand you could just try to solo it, or play with 2 characters.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
In terms of content I wouldn't want that much more, it's just that Kuldahar seems a bit half-assed while Lonelywood is fleshed out and constructed much better. Also Unfinished Business basically restores cut content, on the other hand mods that actually add quality content aren't that easy to find. Maybe a small mod that adds a few side-quests like the quest mod for BG2 would be nice. But the only story content mod at this point is IWD companion mod and I would advise to stay away from it. I tried it and it's full of cringeworthy drivel of the lowest bioware-fanfiction caliber. I don't think I've ever seen a more annoying gathering of buffoons.

You mean the Icewind Dale NPCs Mod? It's not nearly as good as the BG1 NPC mod, but the BG1 mod was a community effort while the IWD mod is a one woman effort. I gave it a try myself once, but it was just to juvenile and feminine for my taste. And that was when I still had an open mind towards NPC mods.

As for new content your only bet is Auril's Bane, I think. It's adds quite lot of content, but not any new areas IIRC. A few of the items are rather overpowered, but all in all I would recommend it for someone who's already played umodded IWD.

Raziel

Educated
You don't need to powergame to get through IWD, that said dualclassing everyone you can to fighter makes the game much easier.

First time I played, didn't do any sort of powergaming. Early game was struggle but once I got the bow with max speed factor and +1 attack or something game was a breeze. Legolas shooting+ Pippin singing = GG.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You don't need to powergame to get through IWD
Yeah, I didn't say you *need* to powergame to finish IWD but since you get to make your own party you should give it some thought and make something more unique than the usual basic party. IIRC the first time I played it I too used a more or less generic party since I started it right after BG.

BTW I just talked with the Seer in HoW. Damn, the writing has gone up a couple of notches. So obvious she was written by mca.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I had fun with a LoTR based party in IWD, with a Halfling Fighter/Thief representing the four Hobbits.
It's funny, but Gary Gygax didn't like LoTR, yet I can't think of any pre-D&D books with a party of adventurers.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm dropping a note here, after I encountered issues with installing IWD mods, searched for solutions, found some hints, and in the end fixed them by experimentation.

I installed IWD Complete from GOG. This installs v1.42 (with HoW and TotL). I then wanted to install the following mods, from the list described in this thread:
1. One Pixel Productions Animation Fixes for IWD:TotLM
2. The IWD Fixpack
3. One Pixel Productions High-Quality Music
4. Improved BAMs
5. Unfinished Business for Icewind Dale
6. One Pixel Productions
7. The Widescreen Mod

The 1st problem:
Trying to install #1 (animation fixes) gave me an error. The error message was something in the lines of "newer version of weidu detected".

Reason for the problem:
The GOG IWD installation includes the IE DDraw fix and runs that automatically after installation is finished. The DDraw fix executable and its files then remain in your root IWD folder.

Solution:
Move the ddrawfix and its .exe into a different folder so the animation fixes don't get confused when you run their setup.

The 2nd problem:
The 1pp animation fixes installer (mod #1) returns an error when you select nstall for its first component.

Reason for the problem:
As explained in this reply:
It would appear the arrays don't get cleared between components, which is odd because I think they did when I tested? Maybe a change in WeiDU?

Solution:
As explained here and here, the solution is to quit the installer after installing each component, then restart the installer, select [N]o for installing the components that you've already installed, then install the next yet uninstalled component, it will give you an error, quit the installer, repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Is Unfinished Business worth it?
I'd say it is. Nothing major like the BG UB, but it has some nice stuff, including an interesting expanded quest in obtaining one of the badges. Also there was an option for a very enjoyable mage duel at some point. It felt really good kicking that fucker's ass one on one after all that grief his hordes of goons had given me.

As for mod installation order, I followed this guide and had no problems that I can remember: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24870

I don' think I encountered the problem with OPP animation fixes but it's good to know the solution.

The error message was something in the lines of "newer version of weidu detected".
This is a weidu issue. Each weidu mod has the same weidu.exe renamed after its own name. For example UB.exe and fixpack.exe are essentially the same weidu executable. When you install a mod with an older version of weidu than the ones already installed, it should update to the newer version automatically. Sometimes this doesn't happen and you get an error. The fix is to copy the exe with the newer version of the weidu somewhere esle, rename it to the exe that has the older version and then replace it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I see. So the exe is always the same (unless the version is different), and then based on the exe's filename and the name of the directory with the mod's contents, you are presented with different choices? I saw the weidu documentation and this is probably described there, but nah, who would read that :)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, unless you actually dabble with making a mod, there's no real need to know this. It should update automatically, it's just that a few rare times, it doesn't :P

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is my memory playing with me or AI in IWD1 or 2 have that annoying behavior where they run past your melee team member and try to take down spellcasters first? I fondly remember abusing that dumb activity to save these healing potions that I have found in my journey...

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think sometimes they go after the one with the least amount of HP, which usually is the mage. I think they don't take into account AC because my Druid has always had the highest AC and enemies don't seem to prioritize him. While I'm scouting dungeons they attack the first one that establishes line of sight with them of course.

BTW, the "call for help" scripting in HoW kicks ass. It becomes impossible to pull enemies one by one. You may clear out a whole area in 3-4 battles but they will be something to remember.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Is my memory playing with me or AI in IWD1 or 2 have that annoying behavior where they run past your melee team member and try to take down spellcasters first? I fondly remember abusing that dumb activity to save these healing potions that I have found in my journey...
I don't think so, but then again my main spellcaster was a fighter mage, so he took his part in melee too. My secondary spellcaster which was a bard was usually safely out of harms way. I'm not sure it's the HP either, I think sometimes they just aggro to the guy that hits them, even if he is further back, because as ^ said:

BTW, the "call for help" scripting in HoW kicks ass. It becomes impossible to pull enemies one by one. You may clear out a whole area in 3-4 battles but they will be something to remember.
Yep, kiting be gone! :D You attack a couple of mobs and their nearby horde comes at you in full force, so sometimes your missile-armed spellcasters can hit these fuckers, aggro them and in the whole clusterfuck the enemies get near them and they get stomped.

BTW, HoW added some nice bardsongs, so the bard class is actually pretty decent.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

IWD1, no. IWD2, yes. It was in fact the reason I quit IWD2 when I realized it was impossible to protect my mage against certain enemies (Neo Ogres or something like that). Even when I thought I had a shield wall (and with no fucking grid how the hell can you tell?) the big brutes would just squeeze through and whack my mage.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane

IWD1, no. IWD2, yes. It was in fact the reason I quit IWD2 when I realized it was impossible to protect my mage against certain enemies (Neo Ogres or something like that). Even when I thought I had a shield wall (and with no fucking grid how the hell can you tell?) the big brutes would just squeeze through and whack my mage.

Very sad. There's tons of disablers and hold type spells. Sleep, Entangle, Web, even ones you can cast quickly like Command. And mages in 3E aren't even the ultra soft squishies they are in 2nd Ed. There's absolutely no reason to have problems with protecting mages.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, I don't like being forced to use all my spells when my fighters can handle the situation. Which they would if it wasn't for the lack of grid and enemies being able to squeeze right between two fighers standing should to shoulder.
It's not like I couldn't win the fight, but that I was bloody annoyed at the game mechanics, and the sudden change in enemy (and not even smart ones) behaviour compared to earlier IE games.
But when I play IWD2 again I'll make sure my mages are more robust.

Xeon

Augur
About IWD2.

Anyone used Tactics 4 IWD2? is it good?
This is a tactical mod which aims to satisfy people who love challenges. The purpose of this mod is to make the boring fights in the vanilla game more challenging and more exciting, not to spite players. So all the bosses can be defeated directly without any cheese. This mod will improve the battles from beginning to end. About 90% of the creatures have been enhanced; the enhanced respects are: Stats, Spell Selections, AIs, etc. And this mod also fixes a few bugs and imbalances of the original game.

There are several mods about experience as well, any recommendation about installing one of them or skip? I already beat the game so I don't care if I am over leveled or screw up the balance or whatever.

It seems cheat keys need me to activate the cheat for them every time I want to use a cheat key? is it not possible to make it active always? I tend to use ctrl+j a lot to avoid dealing with pathing issues after clearing a map so would be great if there is a way to make it active at all times if possible instead of inputting "ctrlaltdelete:enablecheatkeys()" every time after a load or map change.

---
None mod related, I checked here and it seems there is no Clairvoyance spell in IWD2? I liked giving myself a stack of scrolls of it to fully reveal the maps after I clear them, so no spell or item to reveal maps anymore?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom