Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls If you are an ice age boomer what were your expectations of Skyrim when it came out

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
I love oblvio n34fucj gnehe haterz

Lemming42

Arcane
Neither Oblivion nor Morrowind were given anywhere near the mass market blanket coverage & praise Skyrim had.

I've still got mates who are console based who have never even heard of either Morrowind or Oblivion. Whereas every fucker has heard of Skyrim.

It's like saying that The Pixies were as big an influence as Nirvana on music. Yeah they influenced the scene & direction of things, but the mass shift occurred when Joe everyone jumped on board the bandwagon, and with gaming it was with Skyrim.

What did Oblivion sell, around 10mil copies? Skyrim must have sold at least 2-3 times that.

I suppose so, though it's probably a symptom of videogames being a little less mainstream in 2006 (as well as the fact that Skyrim continues to sell and somehow remain culturally relevant to this day nearly a decade later, while Oblivion generally doesn't). Even if it is true that Skyrim is responsible for open world RPGs becoming prevelant, which I'm dubious of, that's still not really a criticism of the actual game itself.

Falksi

Arcane
Neither Oblivion nor Morrowind were given anywhere near the mass market blanket coverage & praise Skyrim had.

I've still got mates who are console based who have never even heard of either Morrowind or Oblivion. Whereas every fucker has heard of Skyrim.

It's like saying that The Pixies were as big an influence as Nirvana on music. Yeah they influenced the scene & direction of things, but the mass shift occurred when Joe everyone jumped on board the bandwagon, and with gaming it was with Skyrim.

What did Oblivion sell, around 10mil copies? Skyrim must have sold at least 2-3 times that.

I suppose so, though it's probably a symptom of videogames being a little less mainstream in 2006 (as well as the fact that Skyrim continues to sell and somehow remain culturally relevant to this day nearly a decade later, while Oblivion generally doesn't). Even if it is true that Skyrim is responsible for open world RPGs becoming prevelant, which I'm dubious of, that's still not really a criticism of the actual game itself.

Course not. I don't think it's a bad game, I think there's some fun to be had in it and enjoyed it for around 20 hours myself.

I just hate it's influence on other RPG franchises & the devs & publishers which made them.

It's like when you've been banging a cheap slag after a few ales on a Friday night coz there's nowt better to do come 11pm, and everyone in the village suddenly has you down as a couple. The bangs a cheap throwaway bang which any self respecting bloke will forget about in 20 hours, but all the mongtards change the direction of their lives for it.

Jackpot

Learned
I remember right before Skyrim released people were shitposting with a gif of the executioner sliding in to place to perform the execution in the opening.
That sliding still happens now in every released version of Skyrim.

In retrospect, people must have had high hopes for the game.

Saduj

Arcane
Only losers play video games in their 40s. I will stop talking and reading anything about video games when I reach 35.

You've got it totally backwards. A young adult should have better shit to do. An old fuck might as well play video games.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oblivion was already a proof that one step forward in a Bethesda game design meant going six steps behind.
At least Skyrim was more stable than Oblivion so smut mods worked better on it.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Ass Creed is now allegedly an Ahh-Pee-Gee, as they have been steadily leaning into the grindy "leveling" mechanics to prolong the gameplay loop, at this point Beth and Ubi games are becoming indistinguishable. I guess shit does clump togethor and end up in the gutter for the bottom feeders to wallow in.

Also the mole good job on the Shitposter tag, just keep on trying you can level up to DUMBFUCK, I believe in you!!

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Ass Creed is now allegedly an Ahh-Pee-Gee, as they have been steadily leaning into the grindy "leveling" mechanics to prolong the gameplay loop, at this point Beth and Ubi games are becoming indistinguishable. I guess shit does clump togethor and end up in the gutter for the bottom feeders to wallow in.

Also the mole good job on the Shitposter tag, just keep on trying you can level up to DUMBFUCK, I believe in you!!
what's your iq

Smerlus

Educated
I was expecting a vapid game but was hoping not to see too steep a drop off in quality like the Morrowind to Oblivion one.

I think that's what came out of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom