Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls If you are an ice age boomer what were your expectations of Skyrim when it came out

I was a huge Morrowind fan as a teen and it's still one of my favorite games ever.

I was hyped as fuck for Oblivion. Then it was released and all my enthusiasm was gone when I realized how much of a downgrade it was.

From that day forward, I never had any expectations whatsoever for new games.

That's literally my story. At first when I started plying Oblivion I was in high spirit, enjoying new things I was seeing, loving trees which looked impressively for that time.
And then reality struck. I felt that I wasn't enjoying the game and I wasn't sure at first why exactly, because the gameplay loop felt similar to Morrowind (now I would say that it's only superficially similarity).
I started analyzing. I saw how the game setting being generic was hurting exploration part, how axing transportation in favor off fast traveling was killing the "gameworld mastery" part of the game. I have seen through level scaling, lack of interesting lore and bazillion other things that were wrong with Oblivion. At at the end the monocle had grown on my nose.
How bad the game was especially emphasized because around the same time I was playing Fallout 2 for the first time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When I first played Oblivion I kinda liked it, but when I tried equipping clothes and armor at the same time and the game wouldn't let me, that was my first major disappointment. But that's just one little feature, I thought. The rest has to be good, right?

Then I kept playing, and everything was level scaled. Everything.

Unique daedric artifacts were less powerful if you got them at low levels (what the actual fuck?). At high levels every bandit in the realm wore glass or daedric armor.

At that point the game fell completely apart and I knew my favorite RPG series had been murdered.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
It was honestly quite painful for me, coming from Oblivion and New Vegas I figured they would add so many cool things, perks could add gameplay elements

As a boomer on your deathbed presumably what were your first impressions of Skyrim

Did you play it

Maybe a moment of realization as to how shit it was, maybe something that sticks out to you

Or after Oblivion dumbed down Morrowind did you just vow to never buy an Elder Scrolls game until it's proven to have depth

If stupid threads by stupid people earned the death penalty you'd be floating above the chimneys at Auschwitz right now.
What's your iq then

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I admit I was looking forward to Skyrim. I figured that since Bethesda had had enough practice since Daggerfall and Morrowind with the venerable GameBryo engine, despite all the ridiculous claims and promises they made for Oblivion, they might actually get it right this time and we'd at least have a good-looking, smooth fantasy hiking sim in which to act out all of our most degenerate LARPing needs.

But I was wrong.

Skyrim played like absolute shit on release, even on a system that was beyond what their recommended specs were. It stuttered. The shadows were possibly even worse than Oblivion's. The character models were still wtf-category. It was just overall another huge disappointment.

After a few years and several hundred mods it could be made into what I would consider to be a playable state, but by then who gives a fuck?
We are at the mercy of Todd Howard and his band of goons, I thought maybe we should take a look at what Skyrim was like in order to predict what tes6 will be like

Also I'm coming into my boomer stage in life, oblivion was my first bethesda game

While the ancient boomers here had morrowind

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
When I first played Oblivion I kinda liked it, but when I tried equipping clothes and armor at the same time and the game wouldn't let me, that was my first major disappointment. But that's just one little feature, I thought. The rest has to be good, right?

Then I kept playing, and everything was level scaled. Everything.

Unique daedric artifacts were less powerful if you got them at low levels (what the actual fuck?). At high levels every bandit in the realm wore glass or daedric armor.

At that point the game fell completely apart and I knew my favorite RPG series had been murdered.

Nothing quite like murderhoboing those bandits in that very first dungeon with your crappy bow and Eagle Eye zoom tho. Around the second Oblivion gate the general shittiness finally sunk in.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Also I'm coming into my boomer stage in life, oblivion was my first bethesda game

While the ancient boomers here had morrowind

The ancient boomers had acid and free love.

The ancients here (Xers) had Wizardry, Ultima, and Gold Box, with coin-op and Atari and the like before that.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Morrowind came out just as I was finishing high school. I thought I was over vidya gaemz by that point, and I had never much cared for console-friendly first-person RPGs in the first place, being an IE engine fag, so Morrowind didn't register on my radar. I finally came to it more than a decade later – after Skyrim, even – and while its achievements remain impressive on paper to this day, it was far, far too late for me to derive any genuine fascination from Bethesda's shtick.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The first ES game I played was Oblivion and by the time I totally-didn't-pirate-it there were plenty of graphics mods that I was able to stack on it and mess with how the world looked. I knew as soon as I finished my first firey-gate thing and saw the rest on the map that the game sucked ass.

Really, my expectations for ES games in general was dashed by Bethesda's treatment of FO3.

Humanophage

Arcane
I was not hyped for it and was expecting further degeneration from Oblivion. However, I was pleasantly surprised because it was fairly atmospheric, the level scaling was apparently gone, and the dialogues resembled a normal RPG. I think I tried it about two or three years after the release, and found it to be good for what it is (Scandinavian hiking).

Generally, I had low expectations for all of these games because I was disappointed with Morrowind. Although very stylish and gorgeous, the gameplay was boring and the characters seemed completely dead.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
I was mildly excited for the setting and expected improvements to towns and AI behaviour. Things that we saw in the original Gamescon trailer with windmills, watermills, people chopping wood etc. were what had me most excited. So all of the "LARP" stuff, I guess. Screenshots released soon after (or maybe even before?) showed improved character models, particularly for the Khajiit, and the trailer clearly showed some neat stuff like stealth kills and even the fabled diagonal walking animation, meaning the player would no longer slide across the ground. I was hoping that maybe there would be expansions to the skill system from Oblivion after some of the complexity of Morrowind was culled, but I was also aware that it would most likely feature more consolidation of skills. I never expected them to throw attributes out the window.

In the end, I was cautiously optimistic. I'm still torn on whether it's a better or worse game than vanilla Oblivion. Admittedly a lot of my expectations were probably coloured by being a frequent contributor to the TES V Suggestions Thread on the official forums, with those threads eventually reaching into the hundreds. There were all sorts of discussions about crafting more in-depth skill systems and ways for the player to interact with the world, especially after Oblivion introduced radiant AI which was probably its one redeeming feature, regardless of how funky that system could be and how dumbed down it reportedly was compared to what Bethesda was working with during the game's development. I wasn't disappointed upon release, but the game didn't sink its hooks into me like Morrowind or even Oblivion, for all of its many faults. I played through it once as a Battlemage type character and then rolled a stealth character to grab all of the achievements for the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. None of the quests were particularly memorable. It was an adequate entry in a series which I had lost some of my affection for in the years previous.

Unique daedric artifacts were less powerful if you got them at low levels (what the actual fuck?).

Ackshually Jarl, the Daedric artifacts and some of the only magical items in the game which are not level scaled, because the quests themselves are locked off until the player is at a particular level, ranging from Level 2 (Azura, Sheogorath) to Level 20 (Boethiah, Clavicus Vile, Hermaeus Mora). The same is true of Skyrim, although the quests are all available at far lower relative levels, with the highest requirement being Level 30 for Boethiah in a game where scaling generally stops at approx Level 45-50, and many being available at Level 1.

The player can also grab Umbra right from the get-go, since the character herself is always spawned at Vindasel at the very start of the game. However, while the Umbra sword is always available at its full strength of 28 damage, Umbra's Ebony Armour is scaled to the strength of Orcish until you hit the level where Ebony would normally spawn in levelled lists.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Oblivion with better combat, better graphical style, and more bugs. I was correct, but still disappointed.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Oblivion should have been in a mother fucking jungle with weird ass jungle creatures an shit, could have actually been interesting much like Morrowinds freaky mushroom landscape setting is the only good thing about the game. Instead Bethesduh went "guys, we need to make the most generic and boring western medieval fantasy world you can possibly imagine!" And oh boy they succeeded.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
After the popamole betrayal that was Oblivion, I had little expectation and absolutely no desire to give money to craphesda.

Also, if remembering Skyrim coming out makes me "ice age boomer", does my old room with Arena on floppy disks now count as Tutankhamun's tomb? :D

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Ignoring the writing and the lore inconsistencies, Oblivion was basically a dumber, console-raped Morrowind that cut some skills here and some spells there, ending up with a half-assed version of what came before. Skyrim outright removed most of said mechanics and focused on making the few pieces work. Which one is better? I don't know, to be honest. Skyrim's definitely the better game, but the streamlining was too much for me. It was sad to see the versatile magic system of TES devolve into an uterly generic fire/frost/lightning thing, for example, and I wasn't a fan of the even stronger focus on repetitive dungeon crawling at the expense of all the other stuff, like the politics and religion of Morrowind or the thief/assassination stuff of Oblivion, both of which exist in Skyrim but to a far lesser extent. Oblivion is a morbidly fascinating abomination, Skyrim is mostly just dull.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Oblivion should have been in a mother fucking jungle with weird ass jungle creatures an shit, could have actually been interesting much like Morrowinds freaky mushroom landscape setting is the only good thing about the game. Instead Bethesduh went "guys, we need to make the most generic and boring western medieval fantasy world you can possibly imagine!" And oh boy they succeeded.
Now that I think of it, they probably intended to contrast a normal-looking world with an imaginative and freaky Oblivion realm... Only to fuck it up making some extremely generic and empty hell-like levels due to budgetary constraints.

Not that the game as intended could have been any good though, as even the most generic-looking setting could have interesting politics, history and small stories to tell behind the scenes, just like the previous game. Morrowind wasn't interesting just because of its giant mushrooms.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I played Fallout 3 back then when it came out, though, and it didn't give me any urge to play any other Bethesda' games. People at school were actually laughing at me for playing that. "It's just Oblivion with guns, look! Even lockpiking minigame is the same! And this ending sucks! Why don't you play some Gothic?" Cheeky bastards, I should have listened to them

Kudos to your classmates. This is actually bullying done right.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
After the popamole betrayal that was Oblivion, I had little expectation and absolutely no desire to give money to craphesda.

Also, if remembering Skyrim coming out makes me "ice age boomer", does my old room with Arena on floppy disks now count as Tutankhamun's tomb? :D
You're drauger level boomer

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yes, but I doubt they have regrets.

V_K

Arcane

Yes, but I doubt they have regrets.
Well, to be fair it doesn't make much sense to have a jungle next to a taiga (Skyrim).
Though to be completely fair, it makes even less sense to have a desert (Hammerfell) next to a taiga either.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Within the first half hour of Skyrim, a guy doing a terrible Ah-nuld impersonation asked me if the dragon that attacked his fort was a dragon. How could any expectations survive that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom