Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls If you are an ice age boomer what were your expectations of Skyrim when it came out

Old Hans

Arcane
looking back, I dont think I thought about it at all pre release. They did a much better job with the dungeons compared to oblivion though.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll target a specific thing. Bethesda got a lot of hate over the level scaling int Oblivion - so they said they removed it for Skyrim. But unless I'm mistaken, they left the original levelling system in place for the leaders of mobs. So if you went into an area, they were at whatever level, and they stayed there. So you could leave, level up and come back to destroy them.

But if you took the enemies on initially and were able to kill the mobs; there was a strong chance that the leader would 1-shot you. This was made worse if you had not levelled in combat related skills or abilities.

So this shows me that Bethesda are incable of changing the script. Are incompetent. Lied to he fans. Just don't give a fuck. Or expected the fans to fix it.

It seems they continued that model of gaming right up until the latest Fallout game. And apparently that didn't work out well for them.

V_K

Arcane
Within the first half hour of Skyrim, a guy doing a terrible Ah-nuld impersonation asked me if the dragon that attacked his fort was a dragon. How could any expectations survive that?
I mean, in the introduction to Oblivion you have the emperor escaping though a secret tunnel in a dungeon cell, which has been allowed to be occupied, and instead of killing the occupant outright, the emperor's guard allows the prisoner to come with. Oh, and the emperor gets killed during the escape, and there are hell gates popping around everywhere, but the province just continues business as usual.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Oblivion's worse, no argument there, but I played them out of order. I knew what Oblivion was going to be, but Skyrim legitimately took me by surprise.

Falksi

Arcane
Basically kick the fuck out of every cunt who is fucking dumb enough to tell you Skyrim is a great game.

Yes it can be enjoyed. Yes it is better than Oblivion. No it's not great game, and the illusion that it is has massively helped destroy gaming in recent years.

There ought to be a new class of genre which separates good "Open Worlds" games like Gothic 2 and Morrowind from shit "Open Worlds" like Skyrim.

Maybe "Open World" games and "Open Wank" games?

Cat Dude

Savant
Only losers play video games in their 40s. I will stop talking and reading anything about video games when I reach 35.

Last edited:

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Oblivion with better combat, better graphical style, and more bugs. I was correct, but still disappointed.
I dont think getting a cutscene every kill is better combat

Circle strafing a bandit for 3 minutes is the epitome of combat

Maybe you weren't hardcore enough

Lemming42

Arcane
Yes it can be enjoyed. Yes it is better than Oblivion. No it's not great game, and the illusion that it is has massively helped destroy gaming in recent years.

There ought to be a new class of genre which separates good "Open Worlds" games like Gothic 2 and Morrowind from shit "Open Worlds" like Skyrim.

How has Skyrim's reception helped "destroy gaming in recent years"? The genre it belongs to has remained Bethesda's niche (though they've fucked it up beyond belief with Fallout 4/76). I don't think I could immediately think of a game that's had a clear Skyrim influence on it, and I definitely can't think of any Skyrim-clones in the same way the market used to be saturated with almost identical Diablo-clones, for example. A lot of the bullshit features in modern open world games - crafting being an obvious example - were around and becoming industry standard before Skyrim. I'm relatively out of touch with AAA gaming in recent years so if there are any particularly obvious Skyrim knockoffs that I'm missing, that's why.

Also, other than Morrowind having a much more interesting expression of the Elder Scrolls setting, I can't see what the big difference in the actual open world itself is between the two games. They're both designed very similarly - walking across overworlds where you occasionally find people or towns who offer sidequests and lore tidbits, and then descending into handmade dungeons with some kind of boss fight and/or loot reward at the end. The gameplay loop is essentially identical in both games, the only real difference being that Morrowind's dungeons tend to have side passages while Skyrim's tend to be straightforward. Talking design-wise here, obviously, not in terms of game mechanics where there are obvious substantial differences.

The only other things I can imagine you're talking about are the features Skyrim removed such as the spellmaker, or quest design - but then the quest design isn't hugely different between the two games either, it's just that Morrowind's tend to be more mundane to help build the world (entry level guild quests) while Skyrim's almost necessarily have you confronting some epic ancient evil every 5 seconds to keep the kids interested. Both games have linear quests that rarely offer you opportunities to find alternate solutions or betray your questgiver or anything like that.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

How has Skyrim's reception helped "destroy gaming in recent years"? The genre it belongs to has remained Bethesda's niche (though they've fucked it up beyond belief with Fallout 4/76). I don't think I could immediately think of a game that's had a clear Skyrim influence on it, and I definitely can't think of any Skyrim-clones in the same way the market used to be saturated with almost identical Diablo-clones, for example. A lot of the bullshit features in modern open world games - crafting being an obvious example - were around and becoming industry standard before Skyrim. I'm relatively out of touch with AAA gaming in recent years so if there are any particularly obvious Skyrim knockoffs that I'm missing, that's why.

Also, other than Morrowind having a much more interesting expression of the Elder Scrolls setting, I can't see what the big difference in the actual open world itself is between the two games. They're both designed very similarly - walking across overworlds where you occasionally find people or towns who offer sidequests and lore tidbits, and then descending into handmade dungeons with some kind of boss fight and/or loot reward at the end. The gameplay loop is essentially identical in both games, the only real difference being that Morrowind's dungeons tend to have side passages while Skyrim's tend to be straightforward. Talking design-wise here, obviously, not in terms of game mechanics where there are obvious substantial differences.

The only other things I can imagine you're talking about are the features Skyrim removed such as the spellmaker, or quest design - but then the quest design isn't hugely different between the two games either, it's just that Morrowind's tend to be more mundane to help build the world (entry level guild quests) while Skyrim's almost necessarily have you confronting some epic ancient evil every 5 seconds to keep the kids interested. Both games have linear quests that rarely offer you opportunities to find alternate solutions or betray your questgiver or anything like that.
Skyrims dungeons are a hallway

Falksi

Arcane

Give over. "Open World" gaming has exploded since Skyrim's popularity soarded. Every mongtard focused dev tried to fit an open world into it's game from Dragon Age: I, to Witcher 3 etc.

Skyrim was hailed as a Masterpeice by the mongs, next thing you know every dev's trying to make their game the next Skyrim. Result? Years of shit being butchered & released with the "Open World" tag flying high.

Lemming42

Arcane
Give over. "Open World" gaming has exploded since Skyrim's popularity soarded. Every mongtard focused dev tried to fit an open world into it's game from Dragon Age: I, to Witcher 3 etc.

Skyrim was hailed as a Masterpeice by the mongs, next thing you know every dev's trying to make their game the next Skyrim. Result? Years of shit being butchered & released with the "Open World" tag flying high.

This was already in motion long before Skyrim. AssCreed was hailed at the time for having a huge open world (with apparently nobody caring that there was nothing to do in that world), Far Cry games from FC2 onwards were similarly hyped up as being "WOW YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE!", GTA games, Red Dead Redemption, Just Cause, all those shitty late 2000s games with huge city spaces like Prototype, even previous Todd-era Bethesda games like Oblivion and Fallout 3. If Skyrim did have any effect on pushing open worlds forward, it was a relatively late step on a road that had started in the early 2000s.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Only losers play video games in their 40s. I will stop talking and reading anything about video games when I reach 35.

And you’ll be back by forty.

Play is a distinguishing feature of intelligence throughout the animal kingdom.

V_K

Arcane

You're speaking as if Dragon Age and Witcher were good games before going open world. Personally, I'd say going open world is a tinsy bit of incline for those series, because open-world shit is at least good for hiking, while cutscene-heavy linear shit is good for nothing.

Falksi

Arcane

This was already in motion long before Skyrim. AssCreed was hailed at the time for having a huge open world (with apparently nobody caring that there was nothing to do in that world), Far Cry games from FC2 onwards were similarly hyped up as being "WOW YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE!", GTA games, Red Dead Redemption, Just Cause, all those shitty late 2000s games with huge city spaces like Prototype, even previous Todd-era Bethesda games like Oblivion and Fallout 3. If Skyrim did have any effect on pushing open worlds forward, it was a relatively late step on a road that had started in the early 2000s.

Skyrim's hype & praise exceeded all those.

Plus none of those games you mention were ever RPG's. TES series was.

Falksi

Arcane

You're speaking as if Dragon Age and Witcher were good games before going open world. Personally, I'd say going open world is a tinsy bit of incline for those series, because open-world shit is at leas good for hiking, while cutscene-heavy linear shit is good for nothing.

They were IMO. Dragon Age: Origins & TW1 + 2 are all good, if flawed, games to me

Lemming42

Arcane

Why not attack Morrowind and Oblivion for the same reasons? They were both extremely warmly received, especially Oblivion which was a blockbuster hit in 2006. Same for Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

But even if you attribute (wrongly, in my view) the prevelance of open world RPGs to Skyrim, that's like accusing Diablo of ruining RPGs, or Half-Life/Call of Duty 1 for ruining FPS games - you might hypothetically be right, but it's surely more a criticism of the industry than of the game itself.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
The problem with skyrim is the braindead gameplay

Compare that to something like Rage 2

Which gives you a bunch of tools, and has fast paced gameplay with a ton of enemies

Like other people said

Open worlds were a thing long before Skyrim

The perfect example is ass creed 1 literally nothing to do

Falksi

Arcane

Why not attack Morrowind and Oblivion for the same reasons? They were both extremely warmly received, especially Oblivion which was a blockbuster hit in 2006. Same for Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

But even if you attribute (wrongly, in my view) the prevelance of open world RPGs to Skyrim, that's like accusing Diablo of ruining RPGs, or Half-Life/Call of Duty 1 for ruining FPS games - you might hypothetically be right, but it's surely more a criticism of the industry than of the game itself.

Neither Oblivion nor Morrowind were given anywhere near the mass market blanket coverage & praise Skyrim had.

I've still got mates who are console based who have never even heard of either Morrowind or Oblivion. Whereas every fucker has heard of Skyrim.

It's like saying that The Pixies were as big an influence as Nirvana on music. Yeah they influenced the scene & direction of things, but the mass shift occurred when Joe everyone jumped on board the bandwagon, and with gaming it was with Skyrim.

What did Oblivion sell, around 10mil copies? Skyrim must have sold at least 2-3 times that.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Honestly adding little rpg elements and open worlds to shooter games is incline

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Ass creed finally came into what it should have been at the start with Orgins

Tons of side quests and content and character progression

The first ass creed was a huge disappointment to me, because I thought it would be like oblivion, you progress your assasin and level up and take a bunch of side quests and do cool shit, get new gadgets through quests, buy new equipment at shops

But instead ass creed 1 was barebones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom