Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software IGN thinks Dark Souls is better than Skyrim

St. Toxic

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
So as an action game, what was this 'Demon Souls' game like? Anyone played it?

Surprisingly solid. Probably the best game to come out in the last 3 years, in my opinion. I mean, sure, PC is my platform of preference, but we're mostly fed shitty console ports anyway these days.

Cynic

Arcane
Look bros, stop being whiny fucks and understand that Demon's Souls was a very good game. I usually cannot into non party based RPGs but I tried to play Oblivion, the fucking shit combat made me lol quit. It's the same reason that Skyrim looks okay (exploration) but shit (combat) at the same time. Dark Souls brings together some absolutely brilliant combat mechanics with excellent character customization, a cool, dark world to explore and a difficulty level that is challenging, but very rewarding. All this, "oh it's not on PC, I don't care anymore" crap doesn't earn you kodex kool kreditz, it just makes you look :retarded: without a brain of your own to judge anything based on its actual merits. Btw this one is on xbawks too if you didn't know. The first was PS3 exclusive but not this one.

Achilles

Arcane
Cynic said:
Look bros, stop being whiny fucks and understand that Demon's Souls was a very good game. I usually cannot into non party based RPGs

I did play the game at a friend's house and it's not a role-playing game by any stretch of the imagination. It's yet another action game with token "RPG elements" or an action-RPG if you prefer that term. Admittedly a decent one but riddled with all the idiotic conventions of the genre (for example, heavily armored dudes jumping and rolling around like olympic gymnasts). It's Witcher 2 without the interesting quests and the political intrigue (yes, I know that DS came out first and the CD Projekt guys were influenced by it).

So, bottom line: Demon's Souls is a relatively good hack & slash action game. It's nothing special though, and it's certainly not a role-playing game, unless we subscribe to the theory that everything with swords and dragons is an RPG.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Alexandros said:
So, bottom line: Demon's Souls is a relatively good hack & slash action game. It's nothing special though, and it's certainly not a role-playing game, unless we subscribe to the theory that everything with swords and dragons is an RPG.

Dark Souls supposedly expands upon the concept quite a bit. The world is apparently more open, for example, with non-linear progression to encourage exploration.

I haven't played Demon's Souls, but I'm quite excited for Dark Souls.

Buy yeah, I wouldn't call it an RPG either, from what I know about it.

EDIT: On second thought, I guess it would be an Action RPG of the Dungeon Crawler flavor, with the different classes and what not. But I don't really know much about how heavy the RPG influences are.

praetor

Arcane
Alexandros said:
idiotic conventions of the genre (for example, heavily armored dudes jumping and rolling around like olympic gymnasts).

:retarded:

sorry dude but you're an idiot for thinking that's idiotic. you can jump and roll (and even do fucking cartwheels if that's your thing) quite easily in medieval heavy armour. plus, in Demon's Souls heavy armour reduces your stamina recovery and after a certain weight limit it reduces your roll speed (and later even walking speed and even stunning you a sec after rolling/backstepping)

Castanova

Prophet
Alexandros said:
it's not a role-playing game by any stretch of the imagination .... it's certainly not a role-playing game

Wait a second. What were you trying to say with this post? It wasn't clear...

Who gives a fuck whether you think it's an RPG or not (it is, btw)? Maybe you'd like to opine on whether it's a good GAME? Is it some kind of Codex-exclusive illness where people rationalize their (unnecessary) shame over liking certain games by pretending to be above them because they're not "RPGs" with amazingly deep conversation trees and cleverly-designed fetch quests?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Teh Codex Hivemind must understand that a game can be something else besides a RPG and still be good. Actually, that seems to be the (sad) rule nowadays.

Of course you people are technically right and I have no problem with other play genres of any kind but you're halfway down a slippery slope and you don't even know it

I give it a few more years for you people to breed and there will be no more critical thinking

Fanaticism breeds brilliance, indifference only breeds mediocrity

Bruticis

praetor said:
sorry dude but you're an idiot for thinking that's idiotic. you can jump and roll (and even do fucking cartwheels if that's your thing) quite easily in medieval heavy armour.

How would one jump and roll with a sword and shield that weighs more then the wielder?
mhyi6e.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bruticis said:
How would one jump and roll with a sword and shield that weighs more then the wielder?
How would one go in a adventure without ever eating or shitting?
How would one kill a Dragon? An Giant Knight? A God?
How would one carry 5 suits of Power Armor and 12 guns across the wasteland by foot?
[insert "It's a mystery" icon]

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Bruticis said:

Even with max Endurance you still wont be able to roll with a full set of heavy equipment. You'll need a magical ring if you want to roll with that kind of gear.

Antagonist

Liturgist
Bruticis said:

The Dragon Bone Smasher (the name of the, er, sword) is actually well balanced in the game. It weighs a ton and therefore requires high investment into endurance (which governs how stuff much your character can equip without penalty to movement) and strength (unless you wield it two-handed which drops the strength requirements by 50 percent). It's also incredibly slow and requires a different approach to melee combat than the smaller and faster weapons. On the plus side, the weapon has a large range and the highest base damage of any weapon in the game when fully upgraded.

I already preordered Dark Souls months ago. It's rather a no-brainer since you get the collector's edition if you preorder and Demon's Souls was one the most entertaining game I've played in recent years. And from the looks of it the developers didn't squander their resources with creating new art assets but focused on refining the winning formula of the semi-unofficial predecessor.

Bruticis

I think many of people that don't like the game aren't really laughing at the fact that you can roll around in armor with huge swords and such. I get the whole suspension of disbelief just fine. I just don't like the art style of the game. I'm just not a fan of huge swords, monstrous shields, giant, spiky helmets, and some of the armor looks too eastern to me. I'm not a graphicsfag but it's hard to get into a game when the art style bothers you. I bought the game and still have it but just haven't been able to find the desire to want to keep playing it. The eastern art just turns me off.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You'd also need at least 30 strength to use that sword in one hand and do any damage with it (You're allowed to equip whatever the fuck you can still move in, doesn't mean you can fight with it properly) and the sword and shield together add up to 50 weight on their own.

The best class suited for heavy equipment starts at level 4 and has 13 endurance and 14 strength. The suit of heavy plate he starts out in weights in at 35.1. To even equip that and the sword and shield pictured, you'd need 57 endurance. Then you can barely shuffle along, and can't even attempt to roll (you'll just stagger for a moment). So, to equip those items, you'd have to spend every point in strengh and endurance, have shit for inventory capacity, shit for health, magic, etc. And you'd have to be level 64. Which is like, the very very end of the game, after you've already killed every single boss. If you use a magic ring for it you could equip the stuff a lot earlier, but again, you'll be so slow that beating even simple enemies would be nigh impossible.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bruticis said:
I bought the game and still have it but just haven't been able to find the desire to want to keep playing it. The eastern art just turns me off.
Sorry man, you are being narrow-minded and missing a great game.

I find amusing how many codexers keep bashing giant swords and absurd armors, but love Warhammer and all it's EPIC MANLINESS. :roll:

Bruticis

I don't like the warhammer universe either. Having a personal preference for something isn't being narrow minded. News flash, not everyone likes yellow ice cream.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
felipepepe said:
Bruticis said:
I bought the game and still have it but just haven't been able to find the desire to want to keep playing it. The eastern art just turns me off.
Sorry man, you are being narrow-minded and missing a great game.

I find amusing how many codexers keep bashing giant swords and absurd armors, but love Warhammer and all it's EPIC MANLINESS. :roll:
:salute:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You are not playing a game you bought because it has what, 4 swords that are big & absurd? Is the same as not going to a good restaurant because they have yellow ice cream as dessert.

Bruticis

I'm not playing the game because the art style is not my taste (with just one aspect being giant swords), pretty sure I said that in my post.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Why the fuck would you buy a game if you don't like the art style? That's retarded.

The main thing you should be criticizing AFTER you have bought a game is its gameplay, because that's the main aspect of the game you don't have first-person experience with (which, incidentally, is why I pirate when there is no good demo).

Xi

Arcane
Bruticis said:
I don't like the warhammer universe either. Having a personal preference for something isn't being narrow minded. News flash, not everyone likes yellow ice cream.

You are kind of being a bitch, given your pathetic reasons to not like the game(without even playing it). Personally, I love the art style, and think it's top notch in comparison to shit like Oblivion and even Skyrim. IMHO, Skyrim has worse graphics (if that's what matters to you).

If you like epic dungeon crawlers with a lot of choice/consequence functions in character design, dungeon approach, and even equipment use, than this game is for you. If not, than so be it. Just say you don't like A-RPGs and move along.

It's clearly an RPG, as player builds change the way you advance the game, and it's clearly an action game because player skill matters too. Still, it's probably one of the few games a Codexer could really enjoy on a console. It's gaming gold in all honesty.

Also, the devs aren't bitches too! They said no to DLC, they've actually reworked the game mechanics without just eliminating elements(they've added a LOT), and the game has pretty good AI, moral choices, and even Easter eggs and hidden areas.

Fuck it, I will enjoy my badass dungeon romper. That's about the best we get these days. I will buy this day one, however, I will wait to purchase Skyrim. That's probably going to be a bland piece of shit based on what we know so far and past games.

felipepepe said:
You are not playing a game you bought because it has what, 4 swords that are big & absurd? Is the same as not going to a good restaurant because they have yellow ice cream as dessert.

A bladeless, thick mass of iron used for smashing. The ancient excavators of Stonefang are said to have created it to face dragons. It is imbued with a spell to protect the wielder from fire.

Because of its immense weight, blacksmiths joke that it can scarcely be called a sword.

Bruticis

Mangoose said:
Why the fuck would you buy a game if you don't like the art style? That's retarded.
Game was on sale for 20 bucks, wanted to see what the hype was all about.

Xi said:
You are kind of being a bitch, given your pathetic reasons to not like the game(without even playing it).
You are clearly being illiterate given I already posted I not only own it but did in fact try to play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom