Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm Looking Forward to Skyrim

torpid

Liturgist
Both of you aspies need to learn to stop overusing the :smug: smiley. It's like the art of the putdown has been lost on the Codex, replaced with lazy overuse of the :smug:.

DraQ

Arcane
Gord said:
Like all mouthbreathers. Truly :monocle: individuals love discovering them, but consider actually using them below contempt, unless done for some very specific purposes - like doing a speedrun.

Or unless you are daisy-chaining effects, to make a broken system at least remotely playable?
Oh, my bad. I didn't realize that "Weakness to ___" was means to be used as stand-alone effect.
:smug:

Gord

Arcane
Well, I was under the impression that your intention was to increase the effect of weakness spells by a casting a weakness spell before that - which is an exploit, wouldn't you say so?

DraQ

Arcane
Gord said:
Well, I was under the impression that your intention was to increase the effect of weakness spells by a casting a weakness spell before that - which is an exploit, wouldn't you say so?
I would, if the game was balanced around player not doing it. Since making clever spells is pretty much essential to being a successful caster due to magic being somewhat nerfed otherwise, and since it's perfectly possible to do so without runaway effects (like exponential alchemy) or exploiting obvious glitches (soultrap glitch, intelligence drain) I'd say it's legitimate part of mage experience. And I like it this way - having to experiment and devise your own spells so that they turn out to be more than sum of their part is vastly more entertaining than spamming circinate fireball till successful.

Perhaps its time for a new sub-forum: Draq & Mastermind Discuss the Intricacies of Elderscrolls Enchantment. Aspies Only.

It would probably get more activity than the adventure games sub-forum.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I like to think of the adventure games forum as a slumbering immortal faerie princess waiting for the kiss of industry princes to rouse it from its slumber.

turul

Augur
some images from the game:

t4y8a0.jpg

29cwcc3.jpg

2qhzwav.jpg

http://elderscrolls.com/skyrim/media/

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, the graphic is really bad. I thought they would improve it but it's on the Oblivion's level. Morrowind with mods looks much better.

Gord

Arcane
Seriously, graphics isn't that bad, but I would like to see a bit more before I decide on that.
It definitely looks like an improvement to Oblivion to me, although I wouldn't expect too much as it is still being developed for the same shitty consoles.
However Oblivion was considered to look very good at release, biggest problem are it's terrible textures.

Anyway, graphics is not what I'm concerned about.

@Tycn: Do us all a favour and learn the difference between an engine and the art direction of a game

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Clearly the faces are an enormous fucking improvement over Oblivion, given that they now resemble real people rather than twisted muppets. Other than that I doubt it will be light years ahead. As long as you can look out over the distance and not have your eyes raped by horribly blatant tiling I'll be happy enough.

Anyway yes, I too am looking forward to this. The principles behind TES are solid and fun IMO, even when the execution fails horribly; Oblivion was like crack to me despite being a sorry, endlessly annoying mess. All they have to do is improve the environments, quests, writing and combat enough to not be in-my-face shit and I'll probably be happy pootling around for months.

tennishero

Novice
i am soooo fucking hyped for skyrim

ill have to buy the pc version because i cant play the game unless the rubber band camera is removed (mootion sickness) so mods are a must

soooo........ looking for a cheap pci-e graphics card that can run skyrim well

any ideas?

MisterStone

Arcane
At least the women look less androgynous/extra-chromosone than in the last game. I think.

Radisshu

Prophet
Graphics looks decent, better than Oblivion at least, especially the modeling. Magic UI thingie looks shitty.

J_J_M

Educated
Graphics looks horrible. Sorry. Doom 3 looks better. Duke Nukem Forever on the ancient Unreal Engine 2 looks better. I seriously hope that is only the console version.

The only redeeming point I see in this game is if they have had the Dark Messiah team design a combat system for it, like rumored.

Radisshu

Prophet
J_J_M said:
Graphics looks horrible. Sorry. Doom 3 looks better. Duke Nukem Forever on the ancient Unreal Engine 2 looks better. I seriously hope that is only the console version.

Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware this was the graphicswhore codex. Please go on.

J_J_M

Educated
Radisshu said:
J_J_M said:

Oh, I'm not critical of dated graphics in general. I'm critical of games getting dumbed down whether gameplay-wise or in graphics. Bethesda is an AAA studio, and they can't even reach 2008 level graphics at this stage, obviously because they're making this game primarily for the half a decade old consoles. I tend not to like getting offered an inferior product.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Radisshu said:
J_J_M said:

What in the fuck else is there to give praise to Bethesda for? Compelling Story? Writing? Combat? Choice and consequences? Multiple ways to resolve quests? Blunt Axes?

They do very good graphics (and soil erosion). That's pretty much it.

Dyskolos

Cipher
J_J_M said:
Bethesda ... I tend not to like getting offered an inferior product.

Here's your root problem. Easy shot but if you go to a cheap whorehouse you can't complain when you get an STD. They make bad design choices across the board and the only substantive hope for their games is that modders can fix those choices, whether it be graphics or gameplay.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
turul said:

t4y8a0.jpg

The guy at the bar with the beard appears to be grinning.

I don't remember anyone grinning in Oblivion.

Hegel

Arcane
LittleJoe said:
turul said:

t4y8a0.jpg

The guy at the bar with the beard appears to be grinning.

I don't remember anyone grinning in Oblivion.
Well, he has a nice swedish woman. Guys in Oblivion were forced to fuck men with wigs on the other hand, put yourself in their clothes, you wouldn't have been too happy, unless your name is SMA, that's it. :smug:

Pablosdog

Prophet
What the fuck is wrong with that guy's hair? The Level up screen looks utterly retarded, like something from bioshock.

Oh well, still going to play it. I'm going to make the blackest guy ever. Just you wait.

J_J_M

Educated
Pablosdog said:
What the fuck is wrong with that guy's hair?
Low polygon count is what is wrong with it.

That autumn pic, IMO, is the worst out of all the Skyrim pics.

Simkin

Novice
I'll be honest, I play many many hours of Oblivion and Fallout. There's something about being out and about in a open world with random elements coming into play and choosing what you want to do and when to do it. None of the BS in Dragon Effect 2 where you're forced to be in a very limited situation.

Oh... and skill based skills always make me happy.

I'm looking forward to the game and... the new engine finally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom