Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
It is funny that Imperator Rome is probably the best game Paradox ever made. People criticize it, then they go around and buy Crusader Kings III in droves, which is much, much shittier and empty. Paradox fans are morons, they deserve all the overpriced shit they get.

I didn't buy either Imperator or CK3, and I had bought all PDOX games prior (yes, including useless stellaris).

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I didn't buy either Imperator or CK3, and I had bought all PDOX games prior (yes, including useless stellaris).

Imperator is a good game, actually. Not great, but definitely the best ever offering all-around by Paradox Studios. If only they invested more into developing it, it would have surpassed their previous best-ever, Victoria II, that is good but very old by modern standards.

Krivol

Magister

Imperator is a good game, actually. Not great, but definitely the best ever offering all-around by Paradox Studios. If only they invested more into developing it, it would have surpassed their previous best-ever, Victoria II, that is good but very old by modern standards.

I... I agree with TurklarTR... for the first time in my life!

Does that mean... I am kebab lover?

Silva

Arcane
With the announcement of Vic3 it's clear now that they used Imperator as it's "Sengoku".

But Imp is much better than Sengoku. It wouldn't surprise me if Vic3 turns out a flop and Imperator is raised to GOAT by mods.

LizardWizard

Cipher
With the announcement of Vic3 it's clear now that they used Imperator as it's "Sengoku".

But Imp is much better than Sengoku. It wouldn't surprise me if Vic3 turns out a flop and Imperator is raised to GOAT by mods.

Sengoku was a CK2 tech demo, they barely put any effort into to it and abandoned development almost immediately after release.

Imperator had a coked out Johan strutting around in a Toga thinking it was going to be a financial slam dunk

LizardWizard

Cipher
Yeah, because Arheo contribution was "EU4 mission trees".

I hope you're not referring to the useless wonder system, which was a poor copy/paste and implementation of CK2's.

I don't see how juggling around Religion artifacts for a trivial modifier somehow transformed the game into a 'gem'. Or worthy of sucking Arheo's cock.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, because Arheo contribution was "EU4 mission trees".

I hope you're not referring to the useless wonder system, which was a poor copy/paste and implementation of CK2's.

I don't see how juggling around Religion artifacts for a trivial modifier somehow transformed the game into a 'gem'. Or worthy of sucking Arheo's cock.
Arheo took over in late 2019, but was the mind behind a lot of stuff before then: politics, food, provincial, cultural, etc overhauls. There's a thread in the official boards where Johan talks about his contributions and why he passed up the mantle. I'll try to find it later.

Most important though is 2.0, the update that made a bunch of interesting parts into a cohesive whole (besides overhauling things in it's own right, like the military and its dependency to Pops).

LizardWizard

Cipher
Arheo took over in late 2019, but was the mind behind a lot of stuff before then: politics, food, provincial, cultural, etc overhauls. There's a thread in the official boards where Johan talks

Johan fucking failed and went crawling back to EU4, where he delivered Steam's lowest rating ever.

Most important though is 2.0, the update that made a bunch of interesting parts into a cohesive whole (besides overhauling things in it's own right, like the military and its dependency to Pops).

I played Imperator release, then did a full Epirote/Sparta/Carthage/Rome playthroughs last month and the game doesn't feel all the much different aside from the paint by numbers EU4 mission trees. Honestly the most annoying thing was my King not being able to lead armies and the Merc farm system (which is completely not working for heirs) being actually worse than release.

I'm sorry but this turd is still a turd and will forever be a fucking useless turd. Good on Paradox for abandoning this Johan abomination. Time to put that fucker out to pasture before he ruins EU5

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Paradox never made "deep" games to begin with. Complex? Yes. Badly designed UIs? Yes. No proper tutorials? Hell yes. But deep? Nope.

Would be nice if people stopped mistaking the old UIs as something to be preserved as opposed to simply being obtuse.

Good riddance, this crap could not even get past 3k concurrent players for 2 years.

Unlike some other PDX games, there's at least three other places people can play it other than on Steam though. So you can't take that at face value, especially not in comparison to e.g. eu4.

Among other things, he turned a bunch of static systems into dynamic ones, and changed the military system almost entirely to something neither anachronistic nor oversimplified. And that's on top of it having more interesting peacetime gameplay than any other 'current' paradox title.

Last edited:
Imperator was definitely their test run for a new engine which is a lot more optimized for huge # of provinces (hopefully Vic3 also inherits a globe-like map).

I do get the feeling that the continued Imperator development was due to it being planned as a hit with lots of DLC and because Johan was behind it and couldn't stomach declaring it a failure immediately.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Imperator was definitely their test run for a new engine which is a lot more optimized for huge # of provinces (hopefully Vic3 also inherits a globe-like map).

I do get the feeling that the continued Imperator development was due to it being planned as a hit with lots of DLC and because Johan was behind it and couldn't stomach declaring it a failure immediately.

Imperator has a beautiful map - Victory 3's map looks worse.

Silva

Arcane

CK3 map also looks worse.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

It really IS the best looking and most optimized title. And they throw it away.

Focus tests show that their audience buys games based on how much the map looks like a overbright colorful plastic clusterfuck that reminds them of children's toys.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I don't get why this is meant to look childish? The colours are more solid than your average atlas's pale pastels.

IWyk0vU.jpg

AOtiMzB.jpg

What's the problem, Average Manatee ?

I'm talking about the other games, e.g. EU4. Obviously people did NOT buy imperator and so future games won't look like that.

EU4 with bloom on is the map game equivalent of this:

_id1484041378_343178_1.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom