Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
DraQ Yosharian

Requiem 1.9.4 or 3.0.2? Which is better

Yosharian

Arcane
The latest version is better, but there are some big changes coming to Requiem soon, notably that it will be available for SE. I would advise waiting at least another 6 months.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
The latest version is better, but there are some big changes coming to Requiem soon, notably that it will be available for SE. I would advise waiting at least another 6 months.

Fuck that dude, 6 months from now I'll probably have zero interest in skyrim whatsoever. I went with the converted 3.0.2 for special edition. Its pretty good, although i have no reference for earlier versions. I think i like this better than YASH honestly, but then, YASH early game is as grindy as a fucking MMO.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/2037

Huh there are actually controversies regarding mod-packs like Wabbajack.

BG being my first game to mod and it having BWP and later BWS makes me think that "mod-packs" in general is a good idea. After all most of your end users aren't going to muck around with modding tools to see what works or not and try to make mods work together. And for the most part I think the modder of BG are relatively OK with it. I guess Nexus/Bethesda modding communities are different.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/2037

Huh there are actually controversies regarding mod-packs like Wabbajack.

BG being my first game to mod and it having BWP and later BWS makes me think that "mod-packs" in general is a good idea. After all most of your end users aren't going to muck around with modding tools to see what works or not and try to make mods work together. And for the most part I think the modder of BG are relatively OK with it. I guess Nexus/Bethesda modding communities are different.

TES modding community is the most autistic and egotistical in the world. The controversies were predictable from my view. I remember huge nerd fights over things as simple as someone uploading grammar fixes for another mod.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Part of the controversy with mod-packs was people downloading a bunch of mods, packing them together in a zip and then redistributing them elsewhere. If you're making mods for free, it's at least nice to see the downloads and endorsements count go up periodically, and some asshole hosting your content on a third-party site takes away from that. Additionally, you'd get people installing 100 mods all at once, fucking it up and bricking their save, then bitching at competent mod makers for "making broken garbage".

Azdul

Magister
Part of the controversy with mod-packs was people downloading a bunch of mods, packing them together in a zip and then redistributing them elsewhere. If you're making mods for free, it's at least nice to see the downloads and endorsements count go up periodically, and some asshole hosting your content on a third-party site takes away from that. Additionally, you'd get people installing 100 mods all at once, fucking it up and bricking their save, then bitching at competent mod makers for "making broken garbage".
Installing multiple mods is pretty much necessary. In near future Requiem will be dropping all visual, non-gameplay related changes - because other mods already do it better. Also successor to Skyrim Redone has much narrower scope for the same reason.

Curated mod lists (like Ultimate Skyrim) supported by Wabbajack or Automaton make it somewhat easier for end-users, and eliminate many potential user errors. They do not infringe on copyright, and they do update downloads counter.

And about "competent mod makers" - maybe 20% of them are actually competent, and 80% of them are primadonnas. Using Construction Set / Creation Kit is not rocket science.

Thunar

Educated
So, after 10 years, did anyone finally succeed at using mods to make skyrim worth playing?

The game always seems to crash before it becomes decent.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
So, after 10 years, did anyone finally succeed at using mods to make skyrim worth playing?

Skyrim SE is very stable, and since pretty much everything of value is converted to it there's no reason not to use it now. As far as mods... it boils down to using requiem or YASH. Everything else is graphics or bloat. And nothing fixes the bad writing, dull quest design or poor world reactivity.

Azdul

Magister
it boils down to using requiem or YASH.
I would recommend Skyrim Redone instead of YASH. YASH wasn't updated since 2018, while SkyRe still receives fixes and compatibility patches.

Anyway, I feel like Skyrim still does not have gameplay overhaul on the scale and scope of Oscuro or Maskars.

When it comes to story and writing there was at least one successful attempt - Forgotten City. Beyond Skyrim guys also seem to know what they're doing, but they're taking their sweet time to release anything after Bruma.

DraQ

Arcane
YASH does quite a few things right and would have been a really good and lightweight overhaul were it not for the minor issue of its author being an utter moron and doing some of the other things irredeemably wrong.

As it is Requiem is the only sensible option and given increased compatibility, code clean-up and misc improvements, the newer, the better.

And nothing fixes the bad writing, dull quest design or poor world reactivity.
Install 3DNPCs (writing might vary, but there is quite some good stuff there) and Inigo.
Ultra-reactive followers (both) and some nice questlines (the former).

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
it boils down to using requiem or YASH.
I would recommend Skyrim Redone instead of YASH. YASH wasn't updated since 2018, while SkyRe still receives fixes and compatibility patches.

Anyway, I feel like Skyrim still does not have gameplay overhaul on the scale and scope of Oscuro or Maskars.

When it comes to story and writing there was at least one successful attempt - Forgotten City. Beyond Skyrim guys also seem to know what they're doing, but they're taking their sweet time to release anything after Bruma.
Damn, I just checked. Last I reemmber, mod author said YASH was pretty much done. I mean it's supposed to be an extremely lightweight script. I'm seeing some people still getting bugs, though. I actually like YASH. Seems like the best mod if you want Skyrim but tougher and not a complete overhaul like Requiem.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

It's been playable for a long time. I'm so fucking OCD that I hate crashes. As soon as it crashes, I always go back and reinstall all my mods then start a completely new game.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Is there a similar thread for modded Oblivion?
Can't find it, apparently.

There is a decrepit thread circa 2017, but it isn't useful/interesting.

I recommend trying: All three unofficial patches (arthmoor et al) + Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul + Maskar's Ultimate Leveling. Highly customizable, yet minimalistic - since (in my experience) Oblivion becomes highly unstable with too many mods.

The game is irredeemable even if you have hundreds of mods, but I've found it passable entertainment while drunk or avoiding the missus.

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks for the infos but I'm playing it already with a fully modded configuration (I mean Oscuro + Maskar and other stuff, I followed a readied modlist with installation instructions).

I was hoping a specific thread could be the place to find hints, suggestions, secrets and so on since there aren't easy_to_find references that I know of...

DraQ

Arcane
Damn, I just checked. Last I reemmber, mod author said YASH was pretty much done. I mean it's supposed to be an extremely lightweight script. I'm seeing some people still getting bugs, though. I actually like YASH. Seems like the best mod if you want Skyrim but tougher and not a complete overhaul like Requiem.
Being lightweight is the good part of YASH.
Unfortunately there is also this part that skips over bad straight to ugly (starts here, takes a while to unfold, though).

Is there a similar thread for modded Oblivion?
Can't find it, apparently.
It's impossible to improve oblivion.

Not because it's perfect, obviously, but because it's so fucking bad it warps space around itself creating a pocket universe of badness where every change, no matter the direction leads back to abysmal. Fact.

DraQ

Arcane

if someone gets this working with requiem it might be worth it

Intredasting.

intredasting indeed. I'm gonna go pester some fag to convert the patch to SSE.
Aaand the intredasting is gone, plus it seemed to only include duplicates of Requiem's race records.

Anyway, I decided against using this mod for now. It does a few weird things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom