Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

ADL

Prophet
Anyway, I decided against using this mod for now. It does a few weird things.
Elaborate please. I was tempted to spend another ten hours of modding Skyrim only to uninstall five minutes later because of this.

DraQ

Arcane
Anyway, I decided against using this mod for now. It does a few weird things.
Elaborate please. I was tempted to spend another ten hours of modding Skyrim only to uninstall five minutes later because of this.
I really think the unlocked grip part gives player too much freedom regarding what they hold and where, plus I am not entirely sure how it plays with Requiem (should be ok, but still...).

Also it allows you to swing cancel some things in a very awkward way.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

I can't believe Skyrim didn't allow dovahkiin to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Instead of a patch for Requiem, there should be a patch so npcs can take advantage of the weapon/spell juggling.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/2037

Huh there are actually controversies regarding mod-packs like Wabbajack.

BG being my first game to mod and it having BWP and later BWS makes me think that "mod-packs" in general is a good idea. After all most of your end users aren't going to muck around with modding tools to see what works or not and try to make mods work together. And for the most part I think the modder of BG are relatively OK with it. I guess Nexus/Bethesda modding communities are different.

TES modding community is the most autistic and egotistical in the world. The controversies were predictable from my view. I remember huge nerd fights over things as simple as someone uploading grammar fixes for another mod.

oh ho ho

The drama concerning BWP/BWS (what is now called 'Baldur's Gate Extended World') and their current caretaker Roxanne are legendary. We're talking lawyer threats, Roxanne making 19 accounts talking with each other, all that good jazz

All modders are insane autists

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
400k views in weeks, for animation driven extreme footslide mess, wow indeed. Dark Souls normalized this #neverforget

Hint : when you see unintentional footslide it's out of whack. This stuff is basically the clumsy world of warcraft graphics of game animation.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Dont listen to the oblivion haters

Oscuros overhaul, and better cities, maybe a weapon balance mod, maybe xp based leveling, or different modifiers for skill ups to level ups, I think it's called efficient leveling I dont remember

That's about all you need, if you really want there are magic mods that add a ton of spells

Haters gonna hate

You gellin

DraQ

Arcane

I can't believe Skyrim didn't allow dovahkiin to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Instead of a patch for Requiem, there should be a patch so npcs can take advantage of the weapon/spell juggling.

I actually decided not use the mod after all. It has some cool features but overall mod too imba.

More regarding CGO:

Roll is kind of fun, but it's effectively a "only lesson learned from Dark Souls: gotta have roll" and fucks quite a few things about combat, removing weight in similar manner as sprinting did in D2 compared to D1. At least enemies can use it too, especially for avoiding killing blows when already fucked.

Animation improvements are nice, but somewhat marginal.

2h shoulder rest idle is neat.

2h swing is annoyingly wide, makes it infuriatingly hard to use 2h if you have any allies, and hits multiple targets, interfering with Requiem perk progression.

Movement improvements are mixed bag, advantages are obvious, disadvantages include lack of weight to attacks and sometimes awful combined animations.

Grip switching is idiotically OP as you can somehow dual wield 2h weapons in 2h grip (so with full damage for both). Requiem compensates a bit for this power with mobility hit (because you have two heavy weapons equipped, each hitting you with weight malus), but it's still bonkers. OTOH you lose convenience of quickly switching between casting and using your 2h weapon for both attacking and parrying.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Is there any oblivion mod that makes it a jungle. Like it should of been.

Oblivion_2017-06-18_23-45-24-60.png

Oblivion_2017-06-18_23-40-01-69.png

Duralux for Durabux

I’m proud of [Morrowind]. But you go back and play Morrowind now, and it’s hard. That’s a hard game to play. “Where’s my quest marker?” And, God, I fought against quest markers; I fought against fast travel. It was like, “No, we have to be RPG purists!” And Todd was right — Oblivion was better for it. It made it a lot better on console. But, my God, we were dumbing down RPGs. We were ruining RPGs forever. Now, I go back and I’m older and I’ve got kids, and I don’t have as much time to just wander and find things. And that was a lot of the beauty of Morrowind. You could just wander and come across these random little things. Now I appreciate those conveniences we find in a lot of the more modern games.

I love hearing that people still care. Video games are such this weird, ephemeral art form. I’ve worked on games that I will never see again, and I spent years of my life on them. They will never be seen by another human ever again. And that sucks. They just go away, or you can’t play them because you don’t have the console anymore. So it was nice to see that Xbox made it a game that’s backwards compatible; it makes me happy, and I can show it to my kids. “Look, this is what your dad worked on!” And they’re like, “Can we play Fortnite?”
-Mark Nelson Designer on Morrowind
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...elder-scrolls-morrowind-oral-history-bethesda
From Morrowind to Oblivion to Fortnite.
:negative:
At best you'll find mods that add a few more n'wahs.
:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Codex Year of the Donut
Decided to try playing this again solely for Inigo because of reviews, and it's really impressive.
Fully voiced companion(I don't mean shitty mod-tier voices, it sounds good enough to be in any AAA game) with thousand of reactions. Has unique dialogue for basically every quest I've picked up so far.
Accidentally hit him with a destruction spell and he yelled that khajits aren't as resistant against magic like bretons are(my character is a breton)
When I entered a shop he made comments based on what items were available and what items I have in my inventory.
He recognizes when you pick up certain books and asks if he can have them so he can read them, which he will actually read.
Has unique comments for basically every location.

Probably the most interactive and reactive companion in any game.

Poseidon00

Arcane
For mods I add Path of Sorcery on after Ordinator so it overrides the magic perks. Path of Sorcery adds some fun changes like semi-permanent mind control on high level enemies if your illusion is high enough. I kept a Dwarven Centurion as a guard over the mages college this way. Kinda fun to see it fight attacking dragons.

I like the animations of True Spear Combat, and I like spears, so I use that, and the javelin knockdowns add difficulty to mundane encounters.

I thought the quests surrounding Oakwood were good too.

Vorark

Erudite
Decided to try playing this again solely for Inigo because of reviews, and it's really impressive.

It's an incredible well done companion mod. Was wary of it at first in lieu of all the praise because follower mods are guaranteed to make you cringe nonstop due to nonsense characterization or ear bleeding VA recorded on a cheap mic, no matter the game. Inigo safely sidesteps these issues, however, and the banters are quite lighthearted or make fun of the game (eg. his interactions with vanilla npcs like Lydia).

Looking forward to the v3 update, whenever it hits.

Yosharian

Arcane
Fully voiced companion(I don't mean shitty mod-tier voices, it sounds good enough to be in any AAA game) with thousand of reactions. Has unique dialogue for basically every quest I've picked up so far.
Accidentally hit him with a destruction spell and he yelled that khajits aren't as resistant against magic like bretons are(my character is a breton)
When I entered a shop he made comments based on what items were available and what items I have in my inventory.
He recognizes when you pick up certain books and asks if he can have them so he can read them, which he will actually read.
Has unique comments for basically every location.

Probably the most interactive and reactive companion in any game.

DraQ

Arcane
Inigo is awesome.

He comments on what he has in his inventory, what you have in your inventory (like advising you to hit that daedra heart on a rock as it's still beating, or to pawn off that sabrecat tooth unless you're using it as a back-scratcher), banters with a bunch of mod followers, banters with some of Skyrim followers, interacts with some Skyrim NPCs, reacts to quests, has phobia: undead, makes comments relevant to the PC's race, whispers if you talk to him while sneaking, taunts enemies in highly specific ways (like throwing quips like "you son of a witch" at male enemy casters, or taunting a bandit trying to escape by water by specifically referring to both facts) and reminisces about previous events that happened during gameplay.

Other than him there are a bunch of pretty good followers in 3DNPCs, though they mostly react to static content (including making specific remark to misc details in individual dungeons.
In general 3DNPCs has a pretty diverse and often good cast of characters, a lot of semi-obscure lore references, a lot of quests including some nice questlines.
On the downside there is a bit of cringe involved (like some dialogue options), some things get too weird (then again, the aim of the mod seems to be mixing weird things into vanilla to spice it up),
questlines depend on one another in very convoluted ways (you basically need a flowchart to start most of the quests) and new dungeons are barely altered copypasta of some stock ones (the author is clearly NOT a mapper).

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Wabbajack was a mistake

I downloaded some 50gb (some 100+ installed) of some fuckheads mod list, who advertised it as a vanilla requiem experience with bugfixes and graphical improvements, only to be subjected to a failed installation - of which the extremely autistic wabbajack discord was no help with, and i had to fix myself - and then once i got it running i was raped by ridiculous changes such as a medieval style cover of that stupid Ghanian Pallbearer dancing music, a race menu selection full of obnoxious tabs for people who are clearly into using skyrim as the sims, and then a visually noisy world that ran like shit while looking worse than when i did my own minimalist graphical improvements. I promptly deleted all of it. Some of these mods were like 500mb a pop for stupid shit like putting 2k textures on items you barely ever look at, or this fucking retard's makeup mod for his sexdoll, just fuck off. And this, supposedly a vanilla+ experiment! Id hate to see what the modlists that dont even pretend to be vanilla esque are like.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Some of these mod packs and lists seem ridiculous. I mean, 400-500 fucking mods (!)? Imagine all the garbage and bloat in there. If you were only allowed to install 10 mods (5 gameplay and 5 quest mods) which would they be? What are your ten most essential mods that you just can't live without? I'm pretty sure I'd do something like this for my first complete playthrough since I disliked vanilla but don't wanna go nuts about it. I like the controlled edginess of certain modders but there are plenty out there who are talentless and a bit ill in the head. I remember playing an eerie quest mod for Oblivion years ago and the main questgiver was disfigured. He told this creepy story about being abducted by a Dark Seducer as a kid and kept as a plaything for her as she tortured him for days. I don't think you'd ever see something like that from Bethesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom