Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incision - grimy and surreal Quake-inspired boomer shooter

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
"It's like DUSK trapped inside the Super Gore Nest" -Dave Oshry

this quote and the person making it raises many red flags for me.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
God fucking damn it, smugly pirated to see what the fuss is about and waltz back in here to tell you how it's not as good as you make it out to be, but now I'm buying. It comes bundled with Dusk so it's down to 10 eur.

Glad that we can actually have something this good in AD 2022, in this shitty, oversaturated and diluted "boomer shooter" market. Also nice to see someone make music so good, it makes Andrew Hulshult look like a kid with a midi keyboard.

Perhaps there is hope after all...

Lzlagqz.jpg
Just don't crack any jokes about the release date where the devs might read it.
And why is that?

Star Citizen

Learned
exceeds the best Quake community maps

WkLM.gif

those are basically the best levels ever made for a shooter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'd hardly consider those the best Quake community maps let alone the best levels in FPS. Man, I hate this tiresome wave of "boomer shooter" shit as much as anyone does but this game along with one other have been the only ones to go against the surf. Legit your loss if you don't wanna try it, pointless saying anything more.

Yeah, nah... That dude just memes shit and devs slap it on their game for whatever raisin. I wouldn't be in this thread right now if it played anything like either DUSK or NuDoom is all I'mma say to that.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried the demo.. I dunno.. the guns and shooting feel good, the enemies are ok. The aesthetic is interesting but also means that the enemies kind of blend in, particularly those bug-like things or whatever. The maps (there were 2 in the demo) were nicely laid out but I didn't like not having an automap to reference. Also at one point there's a gate that you can just walk through but apparently you are meant to go down a different corridor that loops around and then push a button that opens it, so that's pretty jank. Dunno. It seems decent but I am failing to see what you guys are seeing about it.

P.S. I dunno how old the itch.io demo is though it could be a year old or something not sure so it might be different now.

Curratum

God fucking damn it, smugly pirated to see what the fuss is about and waltz back in here to tell you how it's not as good as you make it out to be, but now I'm buying. It comes bundled with Dusk so it's down to 10 eur.

Glad that we can actually have something this good in AD 2022, in this shitty, oversaturated and diluted "boomer shooter" market. Also nice to see someone make music so good, it makes Andrew Hulshult look like a kid with a midi keyboard.

Perhaps there is hope after all...

Lzlagqz.jpg
Just don't crack any jokes about the release date where the devs might read it.
And why is that?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/supplice-standalone-gzdoom-fps.140380/page-2#post-8125203

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'd hardly consider those the best Quake community maps let alone the best levels in FPS

thats because you are a FPS bum

you say this game "exceeds the best Quake community maps"

you can't even see enemies or where youre going because its all the same color. these are basics of design, its not even funny

meanwhile levels such as Horde of Zendar, Realm of Enceladus, The Necromancer's Keep, Place of Many Deaths, Leptis Magna, etc. were made by quake veterans and people who do architecture for a living

Star Citizen

Learned
I'd hardly consider those the best Quake community maps let alone the best levels in FPS

thats because you are a FPS bum

you say this game "exceeds the best Quake community maps"

you can't even see enemies or where youre going because its all the same color. these are basics of design, its not even funny

meanwhile levels such as Horde of Zendar, Realm of Enceladus, The Necromancer's Keep, Place of Many Deaths, Leptis Magna, etc. were made by quake veterans and people who do architecture for a living
I've had legit zero issues with enemies blending into the environments like they do in many other games like this and that is indeed a major issue I find that pops up very often, and this dev is or was clearly a very high-caliber Quake mapper in the past or present, I can tell as all I played for the longest time were Quake mapjams. Quake mapping unfortunately took a turn along the way when the focus shifted to style over substance, there sure is a ton of breathtaking architecture and incredible detailing seen in modern Quake mapsets/jams but they just ain't all that fun to actually play as they were anymore. This manages to strike the perfect balance - it looks great with cohesive, simple but striking aesthetics and a fucking stellar art direction (yes, visually it legit looks fucking great in action) with surreal architecture that abstractly imitates familiarity and as importantly it plays n flows fucking beautifully. The 'City' level after the first boss fight for example is one of the purest textbook examples of brilliant mapping you can get - Great use of verticality, looping interconnectedness, progression through interiors/exteriors and man, that fucking environmental design... and it's been consistently as good. There is simply nothing to hate at all here as a fan of old-school FPS games.

Some great mapsets there but if I wanted to play Quake, I'd play Quake. Movement, maneuvering, jumping, sprinting (which in this is og Doom speed) all work way differently, hence why I loosely likened it to a blend of a few classics.

Last edited:

toughasnails

Whilst I'd never question the talent and effort that went in AD and most of the maps later made for and around it I def think that it moved away from Quake 1 in some significant ways... The first would be the visuals, it gave up grime and hostility of Quake worlds for cleaner, more colorful, somewhat cartoony high fantasy aesthetics (and not just environments and new textures used for them but also the way enemies were touched up). Just compare any AD's medieval or fantasy themed map with the OG Quake where even with low texture resolutions and low detail they created created exactly the nightmarish environments that you imagine when listening to old NIN music.

toughasnails

Anyway I ended up buying the game too, I got extra discount since I already owned Postal Brain Damage. Sigh that's another EA FPS even though I promised I won't be buying anymore of them prior to full release.

Loving the game so far. I agree with that the others said about the level design especially the city map (I think it goes under the name Blood Totem or something like that). It's properly vertical plus there is no fall damage. Also I was p much right about there being no hitscan enemies.
I'm also not finding the lives system that bad. There's enough 1ups to find on each map, and this system ads extra tension and urges you to play carefully plus where you actually have to fight a lot of enemies in smaller arenas it makes it extra hectic. I defeated the first boss on the second try, it's p much the standard affair of circling him while jumping so that wasn't as annoying as it seems to be for some people on the steam forums. I'd only love to see the game saving your position on the current map if you have to leave mid game, given the size of maps it's a bit to have to replay them from scratch if you exit the game before the finish line. But I suppose that's the sort of thing that will be implemented down the line.
I guess if I had any complaint at this point it's that your melee weapon seems to be useless in combat. Its chainsaw mode doesn't stun even the weakest enemies and given the damage it does you are likely to get hit by them before killing them. So it's only use is gibbing enemies in order to recharge one of the weapons you find later on.

luj1
The enemies are perfectly legible, even with the color scheme and filters the game seems to use. Their color in comparison with the environments is p much in line with how it was with OG Quake.
Only issue I had with legibility is that I sometimes lost the track of crosshair in the noise when dealing with distant enemies but that's something that the dev can easily improve on his side.

Star Citizen

Learned
Anyway I ended up buying the game too, I got extra discount since I already owned Postal Brain Damage. Sigh that's another EA FPS even though I promised I won't be buying anymore of them prior to full release.

Loving the game so far. I agree with that the others said about the level design especially the city map (I think it goes under the name Blood Totem or something like that). It's properly vertical plus there is no fall damage. Also I was p much right about there being no hitscan enemies.
I'm also not finding the lives system that bad. There's enough 1ups to find on each map, and this system ads extra tension and urges you to play carefully plus where you actually have to fight a lot of enemies in smaller arenas it makes it extra hectic. I defeated the first boss on the second try, it's p much the standard affair of circling him while jumping so that wasn't as annoying as it seems to be for some people on the steam forums. I'd only love to see the game saving your position on the current map if you have to leave mid game, given the size of maps it's a bit to have to replay them from scratch if you exit the game before the finish line. But I suppose that's the sort of thing that will be implemented down the line.
I guess if I had any complaint at this point it's that your melee weapon seems to be useless in combat. Its chainsaw mode doesn't stun even the weakest enemies and given the damage it does you are likely to get hit by them before killing them. So it's only use is gibbing enemies in order to recharge one of the weapons you find later on.

luj1
The enemies are perfectly legible, even with the color scheme and filters the game seems to use. Their color in comparison with the environments is p much in line with how it was with OG Quake.
Only issue I had with legibility is that I sometimes lost the track of crosshair in the noise when dealing with distant enemies but that's something that the dev can easily improve on his side.

Just got done with the episode and god damn, that adrenaline lol fuckin can't wait to see more. Never expected to see anything remotely as good as that slice was in a game again.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
I played the main EA release now and it's a lot different than what is available in the demo on itch.io, enemies are more pronounced and detailed, the graphics aren't a blurry mess despite retaining their style, enemy projectiles are easier to see and the weapons feel a lot better. it's considerably improved in all aspects. makes me wonder if the demo on itch isn't years old at this point. the itch.io demo also just had a standard double jump not the one in the game which adds a hover to the 2nd jump

anyone who went apeshit at me over my thoughts on the itch demo should go and play it asspiss Curratum

Last edited:

Star Citizen

Learned
I played the main EA release now and it's a lot different than what is available in the demo on itch.io, enemies are more pronounced and detailed, the graphics aren't a blurry mess despite retaining their style, enemy projectiles are easier to see and the weapons feel a lot better. it's considerably improved in all aspects. makes me wonder if the demo on itch isn't years old at this point. the itch.io demo also just had a standard double jump not the one in the game which adds a hover to the 2nd jump

anyone who went apeshit at me over my thoughts on the itch demo should go and play it asspiss Curratum
Noice! It's pure fuckin class. The dynamic OST as you progress through levels needs a shoutout too.

Fargus

Arcane

Is this real Dave Oshry's quote? Just suprised by the lack of CAPS.

Here, now is more like it:
ITS LIEK DUSK TRAPPED INSIDE THE SUPR GORE NEST!!!!!1

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1734680/view/3297221237684851654

INCISION 0.4.3
  • Difficulty settings now remain the same between levels as intended (E1M2 always reset them to 100%)
  • HUD/Menus fixed for ultra widescreen and 4:3 aspect ratios
  • Rescaled crosshair slightly to make it work on lower resolutions
  • Fixed an unreachable supersecret in E1M4
  • Added a new supersecret
  • Fixed unreachable secret in E1M3
  • Minor collision/visual fixes for E1Boss3 and E1M4
  • Corrected the name E1Boss3 to E1Boss2
  • Losing a life gives player 75HP and the invulnerability window is now 6 seconds.
  • Losing 1up now triggers slow motion
  • Feral Armament's vomit damage is now lower(3) but triggers faster (0.75sec)
  • Options menu now has info text for each button
  • Changed the Sycophant axe model
  • Added breakable Clinker Barrels into E1M2
  • Damage multiplier fixes for Soldier, Sycophant, Clinker, Maw and Feral Armament

k0syak

Cipher
Went through the first two levels for now. Yes, it is very good, but still has some minor issues:
Movement and aiming felt off at first (was playing Q1 prior), still does at places. Going up ladders is wonky (E1M1 there are 4 short ones outside of a building).
The Depth Dwellers-like color palette (actually, checked some screenshots and it's not half as brown as I remembered).
Enemies exploding into bloody mist that obscures vision even further.
Hopefully, once proper graphic settings and/or console are in the visual stuff can be tweaked.

Lagi

Savant
i search for this map, and i discover i have already play them. Realm of Enceladus and Leptis Magna are great. Arcane dimension is the best 3d fps, it has new monsters, textures maps, and I love that are projectiles are not hitscan. I will replay this one. Thx.

edit (after i receive post ratings):
i replay both maps, with no save. I die in both on easy, i notice i play max 50% of both levels (because the monster counter is like 350 monsters, and i kill about 170 when i die).
This 2x maps have very good medieval theme (knights, sword zombies, wizards, minotaur beasts etc), and could be seamless play in Hexen2 f.ex. It feels strange that all this knights, are not using the ammo and guns that are scattered on the level, or rather player should pick up some fantasy weapons instead shotguns.

Last edited:

Star Citizen

Learned
Glad you peeps decided to give it a shot and dug it, it'd be sad af if this completely slipped under the rug. I wonder if there'll be a map editor in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom