Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Supplice - standalone GZDoom FPS - now available on Early Access

orcinator

Liturgist
Besides the darkness I don't like how they handled bullet weapons, The basic zombies and the chaingunner shoot very fast projectiles but are extremely inaccurate at range but quite damaging up close (and the game sure loves putting the high health, 3 shotgun shots to kill chaingunners in your face) but are also so good at causing monster infighting that every time you fight a mixed group of enemies you can just leave the room and come back to find half of them are dead. Leaving the room is also a good strategy to avoid the constant ambushes (except that one part in the first level where they spawn a ton of enemies to block your return path, but that seems to be a one-off incident).

I doubt I'll bother with the full release.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Just finished the demo. It was OK, the targeting is very nice, the weapons you get with the demo all pretty groovy too with both the assault rifle and shotgun feeling very satisfying for early game weapons. The maps are steady enough, with some nice little trap like setups in there.

But despite the positives I didn't take to it that much tbh. It was a bit too blotchy and felt a little bit flat to play overall. I'd definitely recommend folk try it as there's lots of stuff which may snag you, but it didn't me. Part of it is probably because I'm playing Arthurian Legends too, and that's bagging my sack more.

Strig

Learned
Art syle reminds me of Ion Fury,. At any rate, WL'ed.
It ought to. Ion Fury had Aleksander Kowalczyk on board, the lad responsible for the spritework in Supplice. A couple of years back he uploaded a few process videos which I found very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzD9tU3AqgPGkGL1BDqNJzg

Visually it looks great. I give it points for making the best looking game they could make with the engine instead of making the game ugly on purpose 'cause retro lmao.
It's probably not the best they could do with the engine but they picked a style and worked from there to offer something worthwhile. Meanwhile Cultic, the Spiritual Successor™ to Blood, puts a pixelated diarrhea filter over an admittedly okay-ish presentation to make it look more like shit. I think many of these devs think old games looked like garbage and have little to no understanding of either aesthetics or technical limitations that influenced them.

toughasnails

Meanwhile Cultic, the Spiritual Successor™ to Blood, puts a pixelated diarrhea filter over an admittedly okay-ish presentation to make it look more like shit. I think many of these devs think old games looked like garbage and have little to no understanding of either aesthetics or technical limitations that influenced them.
Cultic's dev is p defensive of that retro filter from what I saw on the steam forums... At least he allows the players to disable it, even if he has to enabled by default.
It looks to me as a misguided attempt to emulate the look of Blood's software rendering in hardware renderer... Which is admittedly difficult, look how long it took for GZDoom to develop options that emulate the look of the original software lighting and it is still p imperfect.

Strig

Learned
Cultic's dev is p defensive of that retro filter from what I saw on the steam forums... At least he allows the players to disable it, even if he has to enabled by default.
It looks to me as a misguided attempt to emulate the look of Blood's software rendering in hardware renderer... Which is admittedly difficult, look how long it took for GZDoom to develop options that emulate the look of the original software lighting and it is still p imperfect.
That's pretty much obvious and the filter would be a fun option, smilar to what Dusk had on offer, but for Cultic it's the default. He must be aware that it looks like shit and has fewer colors than Blood's palette allowed. I can excuse games looking like pixelated dog vomit because the author lacks the skill to make them better while at least trying to do something interesting. What I can't abide by is actively making games look worse with some misguided attempt to make them feel more retro. Pick a genre, pick a style, pick a period and try (and I do really mean try, you don't even have to succeed) to match the best games had to offer back then. Simple as.

Riskbreaker

Cultic's spritework is a (far) bigger problem than that toggleable filter.
The thing is, you can very much tell that the guy is putting some earnest effort into that thing. The environments actually look perfectly fine, with some great lighting - the demo map wasn't made by someone who thinks that the old Build games looked bad or who took to their style as an excuse not to put much effort into his game's visuals. But it's a solo show and this guy isn't omni-talented. And it shows. Both the weapon sprites and the cultist sprites look poor, and in this case their low resolution does look like an excuse. I guess he either couldn't pay someone to do sprites for him or couldn't fin someone with whom he could work intimately enough.

Strig

Learned
Cultic's spritework is a (far) bigger problem than that toggleable filter.
The thing is, you can very much tell that the guy is putting some earnest effort into that thing. The environments actually look perfectly fine, with some great lighting - the demo map wasn't made by someone who thinks that the old Build games looked bad or who took to their style as an excuse not to put much effort into his game's visuals. But it's a solo show and this guy isn't omni-talented. And it shows. Both the weapon sprites and the cultist sprites look poor, and in this case their low resolution does look like an excuse. I guess he either couldn't pay someone to do sprites for him or couldn't fin someone with whom he could work intimately enough.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Earnest effort doesn't have to yield a perfect fruit of the labour. I really don't mind how the sprites look, they're not as bad as you seem to imply. The graphic style is rather serviceable and how is the filter masking its weak points by making everything look way worse? It's like the guy baked a cake, not the prettiest cake in history, but it could be a tasty treat for your tumtum even if it doesn't deserve an Instastory. And then he decided to empty his bowels and pour the resulting diarrhea all over the frosting. Not even a regular diarrhea but something you produce after visiting an Indian restaurant where they stir the curry rice with the same hand they wipe their asses with after shitting in the designated back alley.

toughasnails

My only problem with Cultic's sprites was with the gun ones, they look too low res. But that could be easily alleviated if he downscaled them to maybe 60-70% of their current size.

SpellSword

Novice
will it come out on gog?
The trailer looks pretty good. I'd buy it if it is released DRM-Free on GOG.

GOG is already selling a game that uses the GZDoom engine (Hedon) so if the developer wants their game on GOG it won't be the first one based on a Doom port which will hopefully increase the chances that they'll agreed to sell it.

Also the publisher Hyperstrange already has a game on GOG (Jupiter Hell) so maybe that will help make it happen?

Curratum

Bumping this because I'd rather have more discussion on this instead of the endless gender bullshit in the Selaco thread. On top of this, I think this is a much better game overall as well.

Supplice is a much more classic Doom-engine experience, it doesn't try to emulate its inspiration - Marathon, beyond the visual style and the pacing, movement and combat are unmistakably Doom-driven, which to me is a much better option that the weird mixed bag of Selaco.

The demo was immensely enjoyable, even though I spent 5 minutes looking for the way forward in the bigger demo map. This could be fixed with a scripted camera switch that shows you what last opened as you hit that latest switch and shouldn't be too hard to implement. It's not a deal-breaker, but then again, I have pretty good visual memory and spatial orientation and it could be a much bigger issue for some people, who knows...

At any rate, if you haven't played the demo, do it. Hopefully they manage to get it out in 2022 as planned.

toughasnails

I loved the demo too, I'm hoping the game won't be lost in the flood of boomer shooters like what happened to Arthurian Legends, ADACA etc. I just don't see that much talk about it, certainly it isn't as "flashy" nor does it have as much of a push as some other titles in the genre.
It would be a shame bc this is something that was in development for ages by people who definitely know what they're doing. When Supplice was first announced as a TC nobody could've guessed that the boomer shooter revival would ever happen.

toughasnails

The game is coming out early next year... in early access.

Curratum

DBRTNcZ.jpg

Fargus

Arcane
Looks bland, nothing special. And female protag? Missed me with that gay shit.

But i do like the dual wielding smgs.

Curratum

Looks bland, nothing special. And female protag? Missed me with that gay shit.

But i do like the dual wielding smgs.

Game is tight as fuck, best boomer shooter I've ever played and I've been playing them since they started making them. Play the demo on Steam.

Not buying it, seeing the dev is a ban-happy wanker, of course, will pirate it, but still, don't deprive yourself of the best retro shooter gameplay around.

Curratum

Well, Fortune's Run would have been great if its jumping mechanics weren't janky as fuck and you didn't need to get through an obligatory, unskippable SS2-like VR tutorial that relies on those janky jumping mechanics and which tutorial bugs out if you fail and "die" in the VR, and you can't restart it and need to reboot the whole game, so um...

I think the winner here is Supplice...

toughasnails

Yeah that's not worthy of a permaban even from the rest of your comments I saw in that thread.
You calling a number of other boomer shooters vaporware probably didn't help though. It seems like everyone of note in the boomer shooter scene is friends with everyone else so badmouthing other titles and devs probably won't endear you to anyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom