Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Increase in hacked accounts posting advertising content

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Let me help some people out.

The classic example of 2fa is using an ATM. In order to authenticate yourself at an ATM, you need two factors: a PIN and a bank card. If someone gets your PIN by watching you punch it in over your shoulder, they can't withdraw your money because they need your card. If someone steals your wallet and gets your card, they can't withdraw your money because they need the PIN. They need both things. Having a strong password is only one factor.
Thus they would beat you up and get PIN, then use your bank card. Yea, it's that simple.

Codex Year of the Donut

The classic example of 2fa is using an ATM. In order to authenticate yourself at an ATM, you need two factors: a PIN and a bank card. If someone gets your PIN by watching you punch it in over your shoulder, they can't withdraw your money because they need your card. If someone steals your wallet and gets your card, they can't withdraw your money because they need the PIN. They need both things. Having a strong password is only one factor.
Thus they would beat you up and get PIN, then use your bank card. Yea, it's that simple.
That's why you carry a gun.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I don't have money for a gun. Prime minister took loan and send money to Ukraine, now food costs 50 percent more, and I doubt I'd afford a gun, or monthly payments for a card.

Codex Year of the Donut

I don't have money for a gun. Prime minister took loan and send money to Ukraine, now food costs 50 percent more, and I doubt I'd afford a gun, or monthly payments for a card.
go to ukraine, pretend to be ukrainian, get free weapons

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

go to ukraine, pretend to be ukrainian, get free weapons
Can't I beat up these 50+ Ukrainians who are near me and get free weapons without going to Ukraine?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

If you can't afford a gun, why are you even afraid of someone stealing the money you don't have?

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I use a password manager that generates and saves unique and secure passwords for any site. I recommend doing the same. Bitwarden is a good free one.

good protection but ultimately futile, every password can be cracked

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I use a password manager that generates and saves unique and secure passwords for any site. I recommend doing the same. Bitwarden is a good free one.

good protection but ultimately futile, every password can be cracked
I think most sites have a cooldown on logins. So you can't just keep spamming a gazillion password combinations or your IP will get locked out. The benefit is to quickly have a secure and unique password if you want to sign up for a site, and have them all easily accessible in a browser extension (or desktop client). The key here is unique, because if one site gets compromised, your other accounts will stay secure, and that's the biggest security concern, because most people I would guess just use the same password everywhere.

There is another lesser layer of protection too: The autofill detection of password managers works by looking at the site adress, so it might also protect you from fake fishing sites in some cases. I know I have seen a fake facebook login page once, in which case the autofill wont trigger.

Using a password manager is a terrible idea unless you:

-work a cyber security or IT job and you have like a thousand of passwords to manage.
-are a reddit user

Let's be real here, how many accounts does the average Joe really need? Like 4 or 5, easy to remember or just write them down in a notebook, period. Relying on another piece of software to interact with a computer and do your daily activities is already a flaw.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Using a password manager is a terrible idea unless you:

-work a cyber security or IT job and you have like a thousand of passwords to manage.
-are a reddit user

Let's be real here, how many accounts does the average Joe really need? Like 4 or 5, easy to remember or just write them down in a notebook, period. Relying on another piece of software to interact with a computer and do your daily activities is already a flaw.
The average person in 2023 has way more than 5 password.

Like I said it depends on your daily activities and what you require from a computer. It's better to keep a low number of passwords and to not create accounts left and right. It saves you from the headache and it's not worth it, in my opinion.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Like I said it depends on your daily activities and what you require from a computer. It's better to keep a low number of passwords and to not create accounts left and right. It saves you from the headache and it's not worth it, in my opinion.
You wouldn't have a headache if you had a password manager. Why isn't it worth it? I have an account for west jet so i can keep track of flights easily. I have an account for my bank so i can manage my money. I have an account for steam so i can play games. I have an account for Netflix so i can watch shows. I have an account for rpgcodex so i can talk about games. I have an account for a clothing shop i frequent so i can get deals. I have an account for Amazon so i can order things.

That's not even most of them. Every single one of those accounts provides utility and convenience, with no downsides because i have a password manager. Please tell me the alternative for 2023 without being someone who rejects every convenience of the modern day. I've never had a headache over having a lot of accounts since i got a password manager. What headache would deleting these accounts save me?

Well for starter you browse and use more websites than me. I don't even use half of the services you mentioned, the only website in your current list we have in common is rpgcodex. I'm not counting the clothing shop since there are plenty and I'm not counting the bank account because it's the case for like 99% of the people online. So I already have less passwords to manage than you simply because I do not need these services. Obviously, I'm not telling every website I frequently browse where I have an account but I can tell you this ; I can count them on my fingers. Therefore I just use my memory, session cookies and my notepad just in case. Like I already said, a password manager makes more sense when you have a lot to manage and by a lot I mean well over 50 accounts. That's my opinion.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well for starter you browse and use more websites than me. I don't even use half of the services you mentioned, the only website in your current list we have in common is rpgcodex. I'm not counting the clothing shop since there are plenty and I'm not counting the bank account because it's the case for like 99% of the people online. So I already have less passwords to manage than you simply because I do not need these services. Obviously, I'm not telling every website I frequently browse where I have an account but I can tell you this ; I can count them on my fingers. Therefore I just use my memory, session cookies and my notepad just in case. Like I already said, a password manager makes more sense when you have a lot to manage and by a lot I mean well over 50 accounts. That's my opinion.
Even if it's only 5 accounts, you'd still be better off with a password manager.
A key feature being that it encrypts the database and keeps a history, so if you ever do get rekt, you have plenty of time to change your passwords before the hackers could decrypt the database and make your life hell.

Something like KeepassXC also offers a great pool of utility features, including obscurance from any screen capture software, browser integration so it can autofill passwords if you explicitly give permission.
And two of importance to me, file monitoring and database merging.

I've personally set up a cloud file service to synchronise the database across all of my various devices, so that if I make a change anywhere, it will sync across to the other devices, and they'll automatically open them and merge any unsaved changes.
I also take semi regular back ups of it, since I'd be quite screwed if it ever got lost.

Norfleet

I think most sites have a cooldown on logins. So you can't just keep spamming a gazillion password combinations or your IP will get locked out. The benefit is to quickly have a secure and unique password if you want to sign up for a site, and have them all easily accessible in a browser extension (or desktop client). The key here is unique, because if one site gets compromised, your other accounts will stay secure, and that's the biggest security concern, because most people I would guess just use the same password everywhere.
Of course, none of this matters if you're just going to link everything to an email account, which provides a single point of failure for every account, or dox yourself by sharing your real-life data like your phone in the Interwebs, at which point your entire security is completely void.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Of course, none of this matters if you're just going to link everything to an email account, which provides a single point of failure for every account, or dox yourself by sharing your real-life data like your phone in the Interwebs, at which point your entire security is completely void.
Have an extremely secure email and password manager password that can be remembered, everything else can be extremely complicated and not easy to remember. It's a lot easier to make and remember 2 really good passwords, where as people without password managers reuse passwords, even on sketchy sites, and with the 20 passwords they need to remember they opt for weaker passwords so they can actually remember them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom