Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Is Aerie from BG2 underage?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Could be wrong since I'm not that into FR, but Aerie is physically mature ergo elves have much longer adult lifespans than humans and consequently it is retarded to translate elven years into human ones.
I've always wondered that myself, but given how we are always given the option to start as a young adult in most D&D video games, humans starting at 18 and elves at around 100, I've always assumed that's "their 18". You can get away with too much stuff if only the number is important, though, since you can always make a loli character but claim she's a 500-year-old. Like people do. Does that automatically make it better? Aerie is obviously very young, from her portrait, to her mindset, to her implicit age as an elf.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's a bit of a shame that Neverwinter Nights' attempt to "recreate, as accurately as possible, the feel and play style of pen and paper (or PnP) roleplaying, Dungeon Master included, on the PC" didn't really become a thing enough to spawn more tabletop-like video games (although Divinity: Original Sin did pick up on the idea of Dungeon Master).

The great problem of NWN1 is that they hard codded a lot of things and if you wanna play as a necromancer for eg, PRC is a must have. Pale Masters get no +caster level and only one summon limit kills the class... DOS2 has a complete retarded ruleset.

Best news ever!!!

People discuss Aerie's age when it's clearly about taking advantage of an mentally incapable person.

Nobody would say that if she was male and the bhaalspawn s female....

She has 16 INT / 16 WIS. So she is 100% mental capable of consenting.

Aerie is at best "barely 18" as an Avariel.

Many countries IRL has lower age of consent than US.

Game can't go into setting changing shenanigans, as Swen put it, and not have the heroes be at least level 20. It should be a minimum requirement to even have an interaction with gods and other entities that actually matter to the cosmic order.
Yep. I don't get the idea that low level D&D is the best D&D. I mean, autoattacks and a single magic missile or charm spell per rest is not fun.
  • BG2 : You start at lv 7~10 depending on the clas
  • NWN1 : You start at lv 3 on OC and 15 on HOTU
  • NWN2 : Also start at lv 3
  • Dark Sun : Shattered Lands = Start at lv 3
  • Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager = Start at lv 8
  • Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession = Start around lv 5
  • (...)
D&D only starts to be fun around lv 6. And only is amazing after lv 10 or 12.

. imagines creating "financial dependence" on forgotten realms.

Yep. And how a Cleric/Mage with 16/16 INT/WIS can be financial dependent on you? The unique questionable romance is the underdark drow woman. You clearly need to make her believe that you are a drow to do that and steal the dragon eggs after the romance...

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's nothing to suggest she's only 50-60.

But we can infer that from her dialogue. She says she's *probably* older than Jaheira, which means she's young enough to not be sure, and Jaheira treats her like a child, which means she sees her as one. Jaheira is probably around 30-40ish, if we are to believe her own biography that she was a child during the Tethyr civil war (which is kinda contradicted by she having visited Gorion when the Bhaalspawn was a child) and that civil war ended around the time BG1 came about. So, yeah, I wouldn't put Aerie more than 50-60 at best since she was taken to the circus "at a young age". It's also stated in her biography that her wings atrophied some years after being forced into the circus, i.e. not decades, not centuries, years. And Quayle helped with that between BG1 and 2. We also shouldn't ignore her portrait, she looks like a teenager.

Vatnik Wumao
Does that automatically make it better? Aerie is obviously very young, from her portrait, to her mindset, to her implicit age as an elf.
I'd argue that biology is what matters most. There are biologically mature humans who maintain an infantile mindset well into adulthood, yet there is nothing inherently wrong (>inb4 'grooming') in them dating another adult who is mature in both body and mindset. Within a culturally monolithic elven society it might be taboo for someone who is not an adult in terms of cultural (=/= biological) age to date someone who is an adult both in terms of cultural and biological age, but that does not apply for the world at large in which Aerie and the PC find themselves.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Since she is an half-pigeon, yes, it's completely disgusting.

d5x88ju-c8e12559-7b03-4df1-857a-17da36a7a21c.jpg

"Pigeon"... Is not what google images show about her...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Does that automatically make it better? Aerie is obviously very young, from her portrait, to her mindset, to her implicit age as an elf.
I'd argue that biology is what matters most. There are biologically mature humans who maintain an infantile mindset well into adulthood, yet there is nothing inherently wrong (>inb4 'grooming') in them dating another adult who is mature in both body and mindset. Within a culturally monolithic elven society it might be taboo for someone who is not an adult in terms of cultural (=/= biological) age to date someone who is an adult both in terms of cultural and biological age, but that does not apply for the world at large in which Aerie and the PC find themselves.
And I'd argue it's not biology that matters because there are too many ways to exploit young people like this. We can always claim that biological maturity is the moment someone is physically capable of creating a child. And some organizations/groups do claim this, fundamentalists argue that a girl should be married off the moment she gets her period. Or we can always claim that actually maturity is at around 25 because biologically the brain keeps developing up until around then. Here's a general rule - if you have to try to convince yourself or others that the other person is not too young, they are more than likely too young.

Codex Year of the Donut
And I'd argue it's not biology that matters because there are too many ways to exploit young people like this. We can always claim that biological maturity is the moment someone is physically capable of creating a child. And some organizations/groups do claim this, fundamentalists argue that a girl should be married off the moment she gets her period. Or we can always claim that actually maturity is at around 25 because biologically the brain keeps developing up until around then. Here's a general rule - if you have to try to convince yourself or others that the other person is not too young, they are more than likely too young.
Ever wonder why "manchild" is a common insult but "womanchild" isn't?

Vatnik Wumao
Ever wonder why "manchild" is a common insult but "womanchild" isn't?
The perks of cultural feminism.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
(...) And some organizations/groups do claim this, fundamentalists argue that a girl should be married off the moment she gets her period. Or we can always claim that actually maturity is at around 25 because biologically the brain keeps developing up until around then. Here's a general rule - if you have to try to convince yourself or others that the other person is not too young, they are more than likely too young.

Believe or not, I an 29 yo and dated a 20 yo chick which looks like 16 even had some troubles due it when I tried to rent a room for the first time. However, you should't think that your progressive California standards of morality applies to all world. In fact, US is one of the most puritan countries in the world in this aspect and suffers a lot from right wing and left wing moralism. Many European countries has lower age of consent. And please check, South American countries like Uruguay, Eurpean countries like Czech Republic and Asian countries like Japan age of consent according to this site > https://www.ageofconsent.net/world

And note that this is talking about real life... All of this progressive toughs that you have, would't exist in Faerun. You can't have the same level of progressism that we have in our world, in Faerun. Faerun is mostly traditional monarchies, theocracies and magocracies. With few regions not following that rule and being decentralized city states like on Icewind dale. Sadly this are only fictional societies. Societies not ruined by the "equality cult" only exists in fiction...

As if this thread needed any more decline, now it's teeming with elf-lovers, too!

My rank of fantasy race waifus : Vampire Brides > Elves > Succubus.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
"sorry aerie, you're old enough to be a master cleric and mage plus go around killing dragons, exploring the underdark, foiling plots by evil gods, etc., but you aren't mature enough to enter into a relationship"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom