Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is AI the future of Indie RPGs?

Viata

Arcane
Flipped content will just be transformed into, "AI director wants you to kill generic npc at X-Y coordinate" copy and pasted 1,000 times with insignificant variation
So like Radiant AI?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
There should be self imposed rules on the use of AI by serious developers. And you should be able to read what AI was and wasn't used for in a game.

For instance, using AI to generate a walk cycle for an existing art asset would be fine, so long as the original asset was created manually.

Ironic that in big tech mad rush towards the hyped AI, that AI is going to kill off big tech. And also will kill the content side of the internet in the same way AI is doing with game asset flips.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Ironic that in big tech mad rush towards the hyped AI, that AI is going to kill off big tech. And also will kill the content side of the internet in the same way AI is doing with game asset flips.

It is the nature of men to make monsters and it is the nature of monsters to destroy their creators.

It is the nature of men to make monsters and it is the nature of monsters to destroy their creators.
It tips the already shifting balance of power into the hands of the spam factories, the SEO manipulators. In a few years the whole internet will be filled with pages written by bots with affiliate links. Use any search engine and beneath the predictable yet irrelevant first page results of reddit, wikipedia will be a flood of spam and marketing. Perhaps this is already the case.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron

Use any search engine and beneath the predictable yet irrelevant first page results of reddit, wikipedia will be a flood of spam and marketing. Perhaps this is already the case.

It 100% already is. Try searching for like something banal like a casual/common food recipe and prepare for the ultimate list of bot generated content and trash websites with no coherent structure or just one big AD farm masquerading as an actual website.

Use any search engine and beneath the predictable yet irrelevant first page results of reddit, wikipedia will be a flood of spam and marketing. Perhaps this is already the case.

It 100% already is. Try searching for like something banal like a casual/common food recipe and prepare for the ultimate list of bot generated content and trash websites with no coherent structure or just one big AD farm masquerading as an actual website.
Actually I was looking for lemon pickle recipes last week. At the bottom of 16 pages of scrolling through ads and affiliate links and an obviously ChatGPT generated story of the provenance of the authentic 1890s grandmas recipe, did I find a recipe. It worked OK I suppose.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron

Actually I was looking for lemon pickle recipes last week. At the bottom of 16 pages of scrolling through ads and affiliate links and an obviously ChatGPT generated story of the provenance of the authentic 1890s grandmas recipe, did I find a recipe. It worked OK I suppose.

See, going on the internet - that was the first mistake.

I wonder if this will change the behaviour of people over time. I think it will, which is going to be the end of Google.
Perhaps in the middle of a conversational people will stop reaching for their phones to do quick fact checks with Google, as they so often did in 2012.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Yes I do see that as the inevitable end for google as well which explains why they are investing so intensely into AI R&D. Likely to get ahead of the curb so to speak and give their shitty business some additional longevity.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Not everyone had a library of cook books for obscure recipes. I have a lot in storage but even I'm scratching my head on a "lemon pickle" recipe.

NotSweeper

Educated
95% of the vidya I play nowadays is old shit. If you think I'm gonna spend my time playing some AI created bullshit, I've got some bad news for you.
Sucks for people who were looking to get into vidya development, but honestly it's probably for the best. Leave the PC screen, go outside, start gardening. The AI takeover of the digital realm might have some extremely based, unintended consequences.
And by the time robots start replacing the workforce, I hope you got good at gardening, you'll need it.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Not everyone had a library of cook books for obscure recipes. I have a lot in storage but even I'm scratching my head on a "lemon pickle" recipe.

Totally fair - mine is a combo of internet recipes and hand-me-down cookbooks organized in such a way that it would make a furious schizophrenic jealous.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh Man, Doctor Frankenstein and his craziness. It is really funny how the universal versions of the monster movies cris-crossed but there are a few alternate versions that are also worth a watching. Commercial free is best but Svengoolie wasn't too bad.

Viata

Arcane
iirc all movies versions but one makes the monster acting like a dumbass and unable to say anything, but he was pretty smart, was able to learn to read and to speak.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
will kill the content side of the internet
Ah, the vibrant "content" side of the internet. That's been dead for a decade. AI might write articles based on limited or inaccurate info, but Indians were there doing it long before. And big tech already banned many of the more interesting content creators.

The real threat to content right now is audio AIs, since they're good enough to fool normies now, so you have Indians using them to create even more viral videos using stolen or faked footage.

Btw, my favorite SEO-bait AI is the one that summarizes videos on YouTube using transcripts.
https://tammy.ai/

We just got a look at openai SORA.

What exactly is that? Nobody can answer yet until its released.

However if this does ever work, I cant help but feel this this will be a good thing.
Its potential to relegate actors and film to fringe performers is an exciting prospect.
People may even grow accustomed to not believing what they see quite so much.
If we are going to have spam and lies, it ought to be the case that anyone can churn it.

If it ever gets that capability to be as good as film(which I highly doubt) then that would be ironic that corp are developing what will destroy their world.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's a text to video AI and it's undergoing a beta test now.

https://openai.com/sora
Today, Sora is becoming available to red teamers to assess critical areas for harms or risks. We are also granting access to a number of visual artists, designers, and filmmakers to gain feedback on how to advance the model to be most helpful for creative professionals.

We’re sharing our research progress early to start working with and getting feedback from people outside of OpenAI and to give the public a sense of what AI capabilities are on the horizon.
So, yeah, it's functional, though clearly still flawed. I'm sure you'll like the image of the guy on the treadmill for what it gets wrong, but the things it gets right are stunning.

It's a text to video AI and it's undergoing a beta test now.

https://openai.com/sora
Today, Sora is becoming available to red teamers to assess critical areas for harms or risks. We are also granting access to a number of visual artists, designers, and filmmakers to gain feedback on how to advance the model to be most helpful for creative professionals.

We’re sharing our research progress early to start working with and getting feedback from people outside of OpenAI and to give the public a sense of what AI capabilities are on the horizon.
So, yeah, it's functional, though clearly still flawed. I'm sure you'll like the image of the guy on the treadmill for what it gets wrong, but the things it gets right are stunning.
Obviously anyone can tell its a text to video. What I am asking is, what is the underlying tech? How is it different.

I am actually a little sad because I think it would be a good thing if anyone could generate video like that. I do not think it will ever get there.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
What I am asking is, what is the underlying tech? How is it different.
Well, you probably won't be able to tell how it's different even after it's out, since "Open"AI doesn't usually release such info anymore.

My bet is that it's a Mixture of Experts video model. So, you have the MoE language model tied into multiple video models that effectively work as one to create a final product.

MoE is how all of OpenAI's models are suspected to work. You train multiple small experts within a model's framework. An expert on math, an expert on logic, whatever. They all work together to create a final output.
I am actually a little sad because I think it would be a good thing if anyone could generate video like that. I do not think it will ever get there.
Anyone? Not when it's a closed-source SAAS.

The problem is the value of the product and the fact that OpenAI are currently the only ones to control it. What they said about making it available to filmmakers is what's troubling to me. Makes me think it will only be available with an expensive license, and then only with censorship.

But if the tech can be reverse engineered, as Google and others have done with OAI's text models to some degree, there's the chance the cat could get let out of the bag again, and we might be able to get our hands on a similar model.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom