Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is KoToR worth playing?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lists are typical consolization staples.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's Star Wars, and it's not on the side of bad Star Wars, so it's awesome. It is. When I was 15 it was.

Saduj

Arcane
So apparently there are ordinary swords which are able to parry lightsabers because special metal. If that kind of sword was one of a kind and they gave it to a unique character, let's say a mercenary it would be cool seeing ordinary guy beating jedis with it. But EVERY random guy and shop having them sounds like a contrived way to make the non-jedis be able to stand up to jedis. So despite there being cannons, hand grenades and pew pew blasters melee combat is now in fashion?

Not only that but why is there no lightsaber proofed armor or droids? According to the game, the technology exists to make lightsabers almost obsolete.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bioware made a mistake in trying to provide a lore explanation for an ~abstract game element~.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not only that but why is there no lightsaber proofed armor or droids? According to the game, the technology exists to make lightsabers almost obsolete.
Eh, you didn't slice anyone in half in a single swing, so you could easily argue the armors of the game were already using the tech to be lightsaber resistant.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I liked the twist. I am a sucker for those "we dropped subtle hints throughout the story but you won't notice them until it's too late" twists Usual Suspects style.
I'm a sucker for good twists too. The problem with the KOTOR one is that there is NOTHING subtle about it. The game hits you on the head with its "hints" so early on that I guessed it in that cutscene you get on leaving Taris.

Jolee is probably one of best NPCs Bioware have ever written. Bastila and HK47 were terrible though. The former might've made me feel that way because lol Bioware romance, but HK47 was the worst. The entire character is built on that one single meatbag "joke", which he has to bring up in EVERY SINGLE LINE. You can almost hear whoever wrote the NPC going "HEY LOOKS GUYZ I MADE A FUNNEH!"

I remember the game as just mediocare, but that may be because it came in the wake of the NWN1 campaigns, which were definitely worse in every aspect. I'm not sure if, playing it now, I would find it mediocre or just plain bad.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Calo Nord is so awesome, i wanted to be like him when i grow up. He should not have died.:(
Wasn't there a funny moment where Calo Nord would instakill your entire party if you kept harassing him in the Taris bar?

Imagine the Biodrones crying foul if BioWare would dare something like that now.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Calo Nord is so awesome, i wanted to be like him when i grow up. He should not have died.:(
Wasn't there a funny moment where Calo Nord would instakill your entire party if you kept harassing him in the Taris bar?

Imagine the Biodrones crying foul if BioWare would dare something like that now.
Even though technically it's no different then that Asian super soldier guy always escaping in ME3 :roll:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Biodrones cried foul at Kai Leng too. But only the last 5 minutes is bad the rest is AMAZING 10/10 GOTY

Ninjerk

Arcane
Worth playing to establish the background for The Sith Lords. Beyond that I think it is debatable.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

I just finished this for the first time ever as well. I started it numerous times, got pretty far once, but never finished it. UNTIL NOW.

The main thing I had to necro the thread for was the bitch about the FUCKING ENDLESS TRASH MOBS throughout the FUCKING ENDLESS FINAL DUNGEON that had me screaming so loud for the pain to end my neighbor probably called the cops. Most games go to shit at the end when developers scramble to "go epic" but holy fucking shit, endless spawns of random "dark jedi" for like 2 hours? Stuff that shit up your ass Bioware, seriously. How can anyone think that shit is a good idea?

Anyway... rest of the game was okay. Lots of derpy Bioware dialogue but nothing too revolting. Some nicely designed areas but the engine and Xbawks origins ruin it. It was fine. I dunno. I like how suddenly at the end boss you have to learn how to play the game and use powers, everything until then was stupid easy.

14 out of 38 Kodex Stars, would play again in two decades.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The main thing I had to necro the thread for was the bitch about the FUCKING ENDLESS TRASH MOBS throughout the FUCKING ENDLESS FINAL DUNGEON
I can't remember major RPG that avoids "finishing line" dungeon. Planescape has Fortress of Regrets with Shadows, Fallout 1 mutant base/cathedral (playing first time it's doubtful player will give up to Larry), Arcanum has Void, VtM is just insane with that. Divine Divinity oooh that was just terrible. First person crawlers, well they are dungeon crawlers so they get a pass.
I guess Fallout 2 doesn't count because you *can* avoid fighting inside Enclave and finish it in 5 mins without meta knowledge.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
@Shadenuat you can totally avoid combat in the base and cathedral with robes and even if you kill everything there's really not all that much.

Not to mention VtBM with optionally two end game dungeons.
The two dungeons are mandatory unless you choose one of two bad-endings by allying yourself with someone who clearly doesn't have your best interests in mind.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Well, KOTOR2 made some improvements to combat and character building as I remember, but it largely feels the same. Might as well knock it out, imo.

Grimlorn

Arcane
KOTOR 2 has a worse end game area I think. I think with KOTOR there was at least some good loot, I don't remember any with KOTOR 2. I also thought Malak was a better end game boss fight since there was a level cap. But when I played a long time ago, I created a Scoundrel/Counselor (Dark Side). My force powers were always resisted against him, and my BAB was so low that I could never hit him. So I had to do a lot of running and healing while I whittled him down.

Don't know about KOTOR, but with KOTOR 2 you can atleast use force storm as a light side character. Only takes 3 or 4 storms to kill the room of bad guys at the end. They have a lot of HP. I just spammed that throughout the game because the combat is just so bad. It's easy but kind of tedious and boring. Might as well make it an action game if you're not going to make a good turnbased combat system with options, challenge, and fun.

Endemic

Arcane
Nope. I plan to now. One of the big reasons I finally finished this asshole was so I could play 2.

I need to play something between them though to wash that engine out of my mind.

Don't forget to pick up TSLRCM. It has one or two unneeded changes but the restored content fills in a lot of gaps, and the endgame feels a bit like the Fortress of Regrets (well, a fair bit of KOTOR2 does feel like Planescape Torment).

80Maxwell08

Arcane
KOTOR 2 has a worse end game area I think. I think with KOTOR there was at least some good loot, I don't remember any with KOTOR 2. I also thought Malak was a better end game boss fight since there was a level cap. But when I played a long time ago, I created a Scoundrel/Counselor (Dark Side). My force powers were always resisted against him, and my BAB was so low that I could never hit him. So I had to do a lot of running and healing while I whittled him down.

Don't know about KOTOR, but with KOTOR 2 you can atleast use force storm as a light side character. Only takes 3 or 4 storms to kill the room of bad guys at the end. They have a lot of HP. I just spammed that throughout the game because the combat is just so bad. It's easy but kind of tedious and boring. Might as well make it an action game if you're not going to make a good turnbased combat system with options, challenge, and fun.
Honestly KOTOR2's balance is screwed regardless. Also there's plenty of loot. Like the mandalorian moon with the warehouse where you can end up finding 2 of Malak's armor thanks to KOTOR2's hilarious randomized loot.

Grimlorn

Arcane

Honestly KOTOR2's balance is screwed regardless. Also there's plenty of loot. Like the mandalorian moon with the warehouse where you can end up finding 2 of Malak's armor thanks to KOTOR2's hilarious randomized loot.
I meant loot in the end game area. I think KOTOR had at least some robes you could get at the end. KOTOR 2 not so much, but can't remember for sure. But yeah the loot was pretty random in KOTOR 2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
KOTOR 2 has a worse end game area I think.
kotor2's endgame was better than Nar Shaddaa because there were fewer mobs and you were in control of your main character most of the time except for a couple of quick, trivial spots.

Though the restored content mod does sound like it makes it worse. :troll:

Ninjerk

Arcane

It was better than KOTOR's endgame where double sided lightsaber and dual lightsabers were interchangeable.

Gozma

Arcane
Playing Kotor 2 when it came out, completely blind (like, for example, having no preconceptions about how "influence" was supposed to be handled), as a darkside character, was the dumbest and most unsatifying RPG experience I ever had. The plot is incomprehensible if you aren't intentionally digging through conversation trees farming influence points for nuggets of exposition. I mistakenly thought a darkside character was supposed to be a dick to everyone all the time. And the darkside always-acted-like-a-dick-ending is even more abrupt, plot-holey and pointless than the normal, mostly missing ending. There is good stuff in there, but man it can go bad if you aren't playing half-spoiled and metagamey about influence. And it's not an actual good game no matter how you slice it. It's probably better just to read the Something Awful LP of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom