Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire is better than whatever shit you're playing

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It probably looks better too, at least this GOG version does.

I played it this year for the first time, so was able to look upon it with no nostalgia glasses. This is what I saw:
- underwhelming story
- poor roleplaying system with few stats and no inventory
- terrible party system (you travel with 1 companion)
- corridor-like locations
- arcade combat system
- colorful powerups instead of items
- retarded minigames.

It's a bad game and a massive decline even in comparison to KOTOR. Hell, Mass Effect was a big incline compared to this.
Most of that is true, yet it is still better than 99% of games. Games in general are just that bad. Also the combat in this was really good in the high levels, if you picked the right class at least.

Jade Empire is literally the worst game I completed in 2020. And in this year I played Fallout 4, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition...

It has no redeeming qualities. Everything about JE is at best mediocre and at worst very bad.

Combat is one of mediocre elements. There are dozens of action rpgs with better fighting.

how many action rpgs are focused on traditional martial arts? esp unarmed combat. i mean there are games with a minor element of it (borderlands, diablo 3, torchlight 2). i'm sure it can be done better than jade empire but jade empire is pretty unique in this regard.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Not a terrible game but like the the other bioware console games (KotoR, ME) its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to easy once you figure it out. I will say its fun slapping people around playing the darkside.

visions

Arcane
I played it this year for the first time, so was able to look upon it with no nostalgia glasses. This is what I saw:

It's a bad game and a massive decline even in comparison to KOTOR. Hell, Mass Effect was a big incline compared to this.

Sometimes I wonder if I should try this game as a casual diversion because of the underused (in western games) setting but the locations in KOTOR (and later Dragon Age) already felt too much like corridors to me. Is it even worse in Jade Empire?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Sometimes I wonder if I should try this game as a casual diversion because of the underused (in western games) setting but the locations in KOTOR (and later Dragon Age) already felt too much like corridors to me. Is it even worse in Jade Empire?

Everything is worse in JE. Character development, party mechanics, diversity of combat and encounter design. Sure, you can play it once to see what Bioware was up to when they were searching for their own voice, but there is not much enjoyment to be found there.

Sarathiour

Cipher
It is NOT. IT's somewhat unfamiliar to the Western gamers but very cliche to the gamers affected a bit by CHinese culture. For god's sake, it's like a Hong Kong martial art movie~ If you want to compare, it's like BG1 story to the fanboys of FR setting.

I mean, it was developed for a western audience, which is what i said somewhat. Basically, it's a collection of exotic (at that time) tropes.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Everything is worse in JE. Character development, party mechanics, diversity of combat and encounter design. Sure, you can play it once to see what Bioware was up to when they were searching for their own voice, but there is not much enjoyment to be found there.

Come on its not that bad. Go into it understanding that this is a 15 year old console release and you will be OK.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Everyone should play KOTOR, Mass Effect, and Jade Empire. Even knowing what sucks and what you hate is worth knowing so you can avoid it in the future. Jade Empire I'd give about a 7/10 because I mostly play games for magic and kicking ass. KOTOR was about 4/10 for me but not bad. Mass Effect is... just not for me. The combat actually interested me, kinda, but not enough to put up with all that story and janky driving / walking around etc. I plan to try it again someday with speedhack.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It probably looks better too, at least this GOG version does.

- underwhelming story
- arcade combat system
- retarded minigames.

Most of that is true, yet it is still better than 99% of games. Games in general are just that bad. Also the combat in this was really good in the high levels, if you picked the right class at least.

Jade Empire is literally the worst game I completed in 2020. And in this year I played Fallout 4, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition...

It has no redeeming qualities. Everything about JE is at best mediocre and at worst very bad.

Combat is one of mediocre elements. There are dozens of action rpgs with better fighting.
Seems like a pretty shallow argument! I mean Fallout 4 is just an open world game with shooting and looting, it has been done a million times. Most people say NV is better than it. ME3 and DAI same thing more or less. But Jade Empire is unique. And there is very little better than it in terms of combat if what you like is a more tactical type of combat and not witcher 3 / DMC / etc thing. Which for me is shit. I don't want to be flying all over the screen, I want to do some meaningful moves and spells while balancing resources and stuff.. What other options are there for that?!

0000001317.1920x1080.jpg

:hmmm:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
SWKotOR gave birth to games such as Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Jade Empire. Even though I consider cinematic dialogue a huge decline, KotOR is way above its diluted children. I do think everyone should play it (which I can't say for the other three). Jade Empire is okay and might be better than most trash today, but we live in the age of trash so it doesn't mean much. I'd still rather play Jade Empire than Skyrim or The Outer Worlds. Saying it's better than 99% of games or "whatever you are playing" is just retarded though.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seems like a pretty shallow argument! I mean Fallout 4 is just an open world game with shooting and looting, it has been done a million times. Most people say NV is better than it. ME3 and DAI same thing more or less. But Jade Empire is unique. And there is very little better than it in terms of combat if what you like is a more tactical type of combat and not witcher 3 / DMC / etc thing. Which for me is shit. I don't want to be flying all over the screen, I want to do some meaningful moves and spells while balancing resources and stuff.. What other options are there for that?!

Yeah? And where in JE you found this tactical combat and resource balancing?

Combat in JE is spamming the martial art style fitting for the enemy you're facing and sometimes repositioning to avoid being surrounded. That's all. Apart from styles there is not much else you can do.

KOTOR was much more tactical with 4 characters in the party, different skills and abilities, options for different builds of both PC and party members, and different item distribution. Compared to KOTOR (which was already a decline in comparison to earlier Bioware titles) this game is shallow, simplistic and boring.

Drowed

Arcane
The only interesting thing about Jade Empire is the setting, and all that is derived from it.

Any other Bioware game has a better gameplay, and I don't say that as a compliment, it's just to illustrate how terrible the gameplay is. If you can't stand playing any more medieval fantasy, post-apocalitpic or futuristic games at this point, then I think it's fine, it's an option for sure. But then again, why wouldn't you play Tale of Wuxia or Gijian instead? Not that they are incredible games, but if you put your bar so low, almost anything is above it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Yeah? And where in JE you found this tactical combat and resource balancing?

Combat in JE is spamming the martial art style fitting for the enemy you're facing and sometimes repositioning to avoid being surrounded. That's all. Apart from styles there is not much else you can do.

KOTOR was much more tactical with 4 characters in the party, different skills and abilities, options for different builds of both PC and party members, and different item distribution. Compared to KOTOR (which was already a decline in comparison to earlier Bioware titles) this game is shallow, simplistic and boring.
With the magic dude.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The only interesting thing about Jade Empire is the setting, and all that is derived from it.

Any other Bioware game has a better gameplay, and I don't say that as a compliment, it's just to illustrate how terrible the gameplay is. If you can't stand playing any more medieval fantasy, post-apocalitpic or futuristic games at this point, then I think it's fine, it's an option for sure. But then again, why wouldn't you play Tale of Wuxia or Gijian instead? Not that they are incredible games, but if you put your bar so low, almost anything is above it.
I don't really care about Bioware, and I played Wuxia before but didn't like it much. If I want nerdy combat I've got KOTC 2, Tome, Blackguards, TOEE, AoW, etc. If I want actiony combat I've got.... basically nothing, because it is all retarded DMC or Diablo shit where you run around pressing 2 buttons and everything explodes in a cloud of blood and fireballs. So this is nice. It needs a sequel. Imagine if they took the zillions they are going to piss away on Dragon Age 4 and made something cool for once.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Jade Empire is okay and might be better than most trash today, but we live in the age of trash so it doesn't mean much. I'd still rather play Jade Empire than Skyrim or The Outer Worlds. Saying it's better than 99% of games or "whatever you are playing" is just retarded though.
What's better? If there is nothing better in the last 20 years then you must mean old stuff? The problem with old stuff is that everyone has played it to death, and it is really fucking old. And most of it isn't as good as people want to make out.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Bruh almost all RPG classics are better. Stuff from the Renaissance era. I agree JE was the best RPG of 2005 but thats already too late.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'm not convinced, I like the classic RPGs but they are so samey and they are all just doing D&D in various slightly different ways. They suck at action, but are good at tactics. This is decent at action and tactics but sucks at depth. But shouldn't that make them at least equals?!

Renevent

Cipher
- underwhelming story
- arcade combat system
- retarded minigames.

I tried it a few years ago after years of hearing it was good/a classic...had the exact same impressions. It's beyond shitty basically.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It was good for the time it was released in. At the time I was in the army and only owned a *gasp* XBOX.

Renevent

Cipher
It was good for the time it was released in. At the time I was in the army and only owned a *gasp* XBOX.

There's nothing wrong with having a console, for the first 2 years of my army career I only had a playstation. I remember getting GTA III when it first came out and being pretty blown away...used to play it while on fire watch and people would always stop by and watch.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

There's nothing wrong with having a console, for the first 2 years of my army career I only had a playstation. I remember getting GTA III when it first came out and being pretty blown away...used to play it while on fire watch and people would always stop by and watch.

:salute:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Beautiful black hair is far superior and far more beautiful than blond hair, laclongquan. Its just better. Its simple science.
Niggers gonna nig.

Pfff, never in my life I saw a woman I could say "wow, she looks better with blond hair than with black hair". Every woman with blond hair I ever saw, would look better with black hair.

Always bet on black.
Well, of course - blond hair is for white people. Where could you see any whites besides tv?

Plenty of white people here, bro. Including many relatives.
200.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom