Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

raeven

Educated
It's cool that you want to play JA2. Go play JA2. It has Bobby Ray's and Skyrider in it, unlike all other Jagged Alliance games. It also looks almost exactly like JA2.
I just bought JA2 on GoG and downloaded 1.13 mod. Going to play a real tactical game.
I got no idea what I am doing with this mod, I will not touch any of the default settings and how I do not get raped in my first run. I am not using AI mod, just base 1.13.
Have you played JA2 before or is this your first run?
I've played JA2 long time ago, and later I've played JA:BiA

I really would avoid 1.13 unless you're extremely familiar with the game. Stracciatella is a good alternative option. You basically have to know the game inside and out to begin to make sense of 1.13's options and even if you do there's no way for you to know that, for example, the "new chance to hit" system is hot garbage. Among dozens of other new systems, none of which are tested / balanced against each other.

I've heard that 1.13 version 4870 is a little more reasonable but recent versions are basically "Scope Creep: The Vdeogame".

Also you sure have a lot of opinions about JA3 for having never played it. I don't think it actually plays the way you seem to think it does. It certainly didn't play the way I expected it to, and that was after watching lots of streams of the game and following development for several years. Not saying you have to give it a chance yourself if you don't want to but I wouldn't call your opinion on it very educated. I wouldn't trust a movie review from someone who hadn't watched it, personally.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I loved the surpressive fire system when I dabbled in 1.13, I really wish vanilla JA2 had this properly working. But ye, 1.13 seemed complete overkill. I remember having to ask here just to make sense of the various install files and packages floating around, it seems like a huge mess.

Does Straciatella have any gameplay improvements though? I just had a look at the website and it seems mostly about updating the engine (which is great in itself of course).

raeven

Educated
I loved the surpressive fire system when I dabbled in 1.13, I really wish vanilla JA2 had this properly working. But ye, 1.13 seemed complete overkill. I remember having to ask here just to make sense of the various install files and packages floating around, it seems like a huge mess.

Does Straciatella have any gameplay improvements though? I just had a look at the website and it seems mostly about updating the engine (which is great in itself of course).

There are a few. By far the biggest is that you can turn up the games clock speed in the game.json file. I use 'ms_per_game_cycle' value of 10 and 'ms_per_time_slice' value of 5, which for me makes the experience 100x better. I can't go back to vanilla after that.

They also have an improved interrupt system (multiple interrupts per turn for both player and AI) and some AI improvements that you can turn on or off.

Beyond that, Stracc externalizes a lot of the game into json files that you can edit for fun or QoL, in the main file you can change starting money, turn off 'coffee money', make it so that unhired mercs are always available / don't die, etc, visible CtH, etc. Other files let you adjust weapon stats, drop rates, and more.

You can check out the game.json options for yourself: https://github.com/ja2-stracciatella/ja2-stracciatella/blob/master/assets/externalized/game.json

potatojohn

Arcane
qNODiiW.jpg

This is the ugliest and most visually confusing game I've ever seen. I can barely see what's going on. Has everyone lost their minds? What the fuck?

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's cool that you want to play JA2. Go play JA2. It has Bobby Ray's and Skyrider in it, unlike all other Jagged Alliance games. It also looks almost exactly like JA2.
I just bought JA2 on GoG and downloaded 1.13 mod. Going to play a real tactical game.
I got no idea what I am doing with this mod, I will not touch any of the default settings and how I do not get raped in my first run. I am not using AI mod, just base 1.13.

I really would avoid 1.13 unless you're extremely familiar with the game. Stracciatella is a good alternative option. You basically have to know the game inside and out to begin to make sense of 1.13's options and even if you do there's no way for you to know that, for example, the "new chance to hit" system is hot garbage. Among dozens of other new systems, none of which are tested / balanced against each other.

I've heard that 1.13 version 4870 is a little more reasonable but recent versions are basically "Scope Creep: The Vdeogame".

Also you sure have a lot of opinions about JA3 for having never played it. I don't think it actually plays the way you seem to think it does. It certainly didn't play the way I expected it to, and that was after watching lots of streams of the game and following development for several years. Not saying you have to give it a chance yourself if you don't want to but I wouldn't call your opinion on it very educated. I wouldn't trust a movie review from someone who hadn't watched it, personally.
Ah the old, you have not tried to eat shit so you do not know it tastes like shit.
While you ate shit for 5h, I've looked and smelled it for 1h and got a right conclusion it is shit.
As for 1.13, I don't have a problem doing a little mining (learning shitty UI and all the unexplained mechanics) to get to the gold beneath.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Finished the campaign yesterday, took my sweet time with it too, over 80 hours according to steam. I did save scum on occasion though, even replaying some battles multiple times trying various strategies.

Loved it. Maybe there are few things to improve in patches but the game is fun as hell already. My favourite change from JA2 was much bigger focus on questing and storytelling. Leaning heavily into RPG territory worked great for me.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Finished the campaign yesterday, took my sweet time with it too, over 80 hours according to steam. I did save scum on occasion though, even replaying some battles multiple times trying various strategies.

Loved it. Maybe there are few things to improve in patches but the game is fun as hell already. My favourite change from JA2 was much bigger focus on questing and storytelling. Leaning heavily into RPG territory worked great for me.
I see all the storyfags love it. That explains it all.

Shaki

Arbiter

My first playthrough of JA2 was with 1.13 and I wouldnt have it any other way. It's not that complicated, I think people who played a lot of vanilla might actually have a harder time adjusting to changes, since a lot of things they got used to work differently.

Modron

Arcane
You are mad, she didn't like EE for BG1 and this is 50x worse
To be fair the only people who like the EEs were people who couldn't stop drooling long enough to install mods that already did everything the EE's did a decade earlier without shitting up the graphics.

Ryzer

Arcane

My first playthrough of JA2 was with 1.13 and I wouldnt have it any other way. It's not that complicated, I think people who played a lot of vanilla might actually have a harder time adjusting to changes, since a lot of things they got used to work differently.
Whoever who plays JA2 1.13 without Sevenfm modpacks clearly doesn't know to truly enjoy the ultimate Jagged alliance experience.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

It's not a story rich game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

JA3 can actually be a good game and Archangel will have none of it. He has a game he hates in his head and that's it

ArchAngel

Arcane

JA3 can actually be a good game and Archangel will have none of it. He has a game he hates in his head and that's it
Oh I will play it eventually once and I will "enjoy it" in same way I "enjoyed" my nuXcom 1 and nuXcom 2 runs. I finished them both (well 2 times each as I did new full runs with their expansions) on Impossible/Legendary Ironman but after they got good mods I never cared to play vanilla again and I never praised their design or called them good games.
Even with Long War mods neither are really good games.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Whoever who plays JA2 1.13 without Sevenfm modpacks clearly doesn't know to truly enjoy the ultimate Jagged alliance experience.
I will first try out default 1.13 experience and if I feel I need more I can look for mods for mods.
I am not even using new aiming system as it was not on by default with 1.13 I downloaded. I did turn on food/water system but maybe I should not have. One would expect all your starting mercs get a canteen and some food in that case.. I hate half finished feature bloat.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Sunri

Liturgist
Just started vanilla ja2 playthrough and weapons are even worse compared to 3 rifles triumph over everything lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom