Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I just bought JA2 on GoG and downloaded 1.13 mod. Going to play a real tactical game.
Any recommendations for initial game settings? What is this new chance to hit system or improved interrupt system?
Fiddling with the glut of options to find the combination that's remotely enjoyable is a core element of The Authentic 1.13 Experience tm.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just bought JA2 on GoG and downloaded 1.13 mod. Going to play a real tactical game.
Any recommendations for initial game settings? What is this new chance to hit system or improved interrupt system?
Fiddling with the glut of options to find the combination that's remotely enjoyable is a core element of The Authentic 1.13 Experience tm.
Ok, now the more important question. How do I make all fonts and icons bigger? I am using windowed mode so I can alt tab without game breaking (I read it works badly with that), everything is tiny, even when I had lower resolutions :(
Hard to play like this..

EDIT: It seems I must play full screen, fonts are bigger then... I guess no ironman as I will need to save a game everytime I want to alt tab

Reject_666_6

Arcane
It's cool that you want to play JA2. Go play JA2. It has Bobby Ray's and Skyrider in it, unlike all other Jagged Alliance games. It also looks almost exactly like JA2.
I got no idea what I am doing with this mod, I will not touch any of the default settings and how I do not get raped in my first run. I am not using AI mod, just base 1.13.
Depending on what version of 1.13 you installed, you might be in for a rough time with default settings.

Enemies in adjacent sectors coming in to reinforce during combat is a big one, you'll need a radio operator merc jamming communications to safely avoid it. As a bonus he can call in artillery strikes too.

Expect a massive Drassen counter attack, enemies using spotters to snipe you from across the map, any bullets flying close enough by your mercs have a chance of eating their AP in suppression, enemies climbing and flanking, female elites, etc.

It's also a good idea to drop your backpacks before serious fights.

Also if you see Mouse is recruitable it means you can have her use the new disguise system. Use a knife on corpses until you get a shirt and pants, then you can scout enemy buildings safely.

mondblut

Arcane
Isn't this rather positive?
Or about not having "a fixed camera" (which would benefit... what aspect of the game, again?)

Fixed camera naturally results in level design taking that fixed camera into account. Like, uh, not placing Important Shit where it is obstructed by a wall. Free camera results in view-ignorant level design that sucks from any angle here or there, making you fiddle with camera more than you do control your units.

A game that doesn't require you to constantly rotate and zoom your view is always a superior experience to the one that does. it's not a fucking flight sim with pitch and roll and yaw to manage, scrolling in 4 cardinal directions should suffice for camera controls.

Last edited:

cpmartins

Cipher
It's cool that you want to play JA2. Go play JA2. It has Bobby Ray's and Skyrider in it, unlike all other Jagged Alliance games. It also looks almost exactly like JA2.
I got no idea what I am doing with this mod, I will not touch any of the default settings and how I do not get raped in my first run. I am not using AI mod, just base 1.13.
Depending on what version of 1.13 you installed, you might be in for a rough time with default settings.

Enemies in adjacent sectors coming in to reinforce during combat is a big one, you'll need a radio operator merc jamming communications to safely avoid it. As a bonus he can call in artillery strikes too.

Expect a massive Drassen counter attack, enemies using spotters to snipe you from across the map, any bullets flying close enough by your mercs have a chance of eating their AP in suppression, enemies climbing and flanking, female elites, etc.

It's also a good idea to drop your backpacks before serious fights.

Also if you see Mouse is recruitable it means you can have her use the new disguise system. Use a knife on corpses until you get a shirt and pants, then you can scout enemy buildings safely.
I don't think you're even supposed to try and defeat the counterattack. They will wipe you out hardcore if you try. I always cut my losses and run or try for another mine.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I will admit that tracing projectile paths from your mercs to enemies could be much better handled.

ESPECIALLY since the default has no hit percentage and forces you to guess by tracing bullet lines.

:martini:I miss a lot of my shots.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I will admit that tracing projectile paths from your mercs to enemies could be much better handled.

ESPECIALLY since the default has no hit percentage and forces you to guess by tracing bullet lines.

“You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take.”
― Wayne Gretzky

orcinator

Liturgist
Buccaneer'd it
Haven't gotten off tutorial Island yet,
I did notice the voice acting for the mercs who are bad at english sounds like it nobody gave the VA's a note that said "this man bad at english, don't read the lines like you're an AI"

Sunri

Liturgist
Controlling two squads is so bothersome in the late game at this point i just rush niggas.

gqD4l29.png

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I think it determines how much yield the mine gives once captured, which can be amped by hiring workers back in Fleatown.

If you're dedicated, you can bump off around 90% of Diamond Red's guards in stealth and leave only the Slave Master and his goons to deal with in open combat. Buns' scoped, silenced winchester and Scully's knives attest to that.

Its a little uncanny, hammer out a more sophisticated stealth/detection system along with the ability to pick up bodies and you'd have something approximating a Commandos game.

Vatnik Wumao

When targeting, your merc will make a comment on how likely the shot will hit. The real confusion comes from making shots other than torso hits, since your merc assumes you're aiming for the torso.

The general rule is assault rifles, aim for torso only. Sniper rifles, head shots are fine if your merc is confident. SMG and shotgun torso unless point blank, then head shot.

cpmartins

Cipher
Finished my first playthrough yesterday. 74 hours or so, most of the side content completed.
I'm starting a new one on max difficulty and using only 2 IMP mercs thanks to a mod.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

When targeting, your merc will make a comment on how likely the shot will hit. The real confusion comes from making shots other than torso hits, since your merc assumes you're aiming for the torso.

The general rule is assault rifles, aim for torso only. Sniper rifles, head shots are fine if your merc is confident. SMG and shotgun torso unless point blank, then head shot.

It's great when someone says something in a foreign language.

Looking at you Ivan.

Sunri

Liturgist
Game finished let's hope they make some dlcs i saw that there is some mod that allows map editing would be cool if someone ports whole ja2 to this

TXT7frj.png

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just took out the outpost on Ernie Island, which for the occasion was full of raiding squads. 20 dudes, no reloading, no casualties, using only 3 mercs equipped with fists and knives.

this ai may not be the best, bros
:philosoraptor:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom