Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

ArchAngel

Arcane
So JA3 is ok I guess, but at the end of the day, why should I spend my limited gaming time with this instead of replaying JA2 which I haven‘t played in 15 years or so? "It‘s a competent clone that doesn‘t reach the original in any area though" is not exactly an enticing pitch to anyone except those who have already played JA2 to death.

Why have you not played JA2 to death?

This post makes me realise that there is a considerable number of individuals that are only semi-invested in certain genres, or even in gaming in general. I understand you have a career and are a father or whatever, but that's it, that's your life, you don't know shit about games, you probably don't even know how to enjoy them anymore. You only have memories of enjoyement. Your ideas aren't worth shit because you don't play enough and you don't think about it in any consequent manner. I don't listen to people who have opinions on, say, music, or litterature, if they know nothing about it, or haven't read a novel for 10 years. It's just basic discussion and critique principles here. Either you take this shit seriously or you don't, or can't.
"Oh noes, someone attacked a game I am fangirling about! Let me attack them personally!"

Cope x1000 from a fangirl.

bobocrunch

Educated
So JA3 is ok I guess, but at the end of the day, why should I spend my limited gaming time with this instead of replaying JA2 which I haven‘t played in 15 years or so? "It‘s a competent clone that doesn‘t reach the original in any area though" is not exactly an enticing pitch to anyone except those who have already played JA2 to death.

This post makes me realise that there is a considerable number of individuals that are only semi-invested in certain genres, or even in gaming in general. I understand you have a career and are a father or whatever, but that's it, that's your life, you don't know shit about games, you probably don't even know how to enjoy them anymore. You only have memories of enjoyement. Your ideas aren't worth shit because you don't play enough and you don't think about it in any consequent manner. I don't listen to people who have opinions on, say, music, or litterature, if they know nothing about it, or haven't read a novel for 10 years. It's just basic discussion and critique principles here. Either you take this shit seriously or you don't, or can't.
"Oh noes, someone attacked a game I am fangirling about! Let me attack them personally!"

What else do you respond to a blog with when the entire theme of it is old good new different

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It also seems to me that you get better loot from assault teams if you auto-resolve the battle.
Having just autoresolved a bunch of fights, I have to say this seems completely accurate, and mildly ridiculous. I'm curious to know if those of you who don't have ammo problems have autoresolved a lot of fights, because I've suddenly gone from no ammo, to swimming in it.
I do autoresolve quite a bit but my guess is that after the events at the
refugee camps
the loot increases as the enemies you encounter changes

Modron

Arcane
Shotguns make good lockpicks for doors. Or crowbar. Save the picks for chests.
Game seems to default to lockpick over crowbars, I should probably right click and see if there is a context menu for locked doors.

ArchAngel

Arcane

What else do you respond to a blog with when the entire theme of it is old good new different
Old good, new bad is basically main theme of Codex.. maybe you took a wrong turn somewhere?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
ahQq31o.jpg

Now that's an old reference. Maybe.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It also seems to me that you get better loot from assault teams if you auto-resolve the battle.
Having just autoresolved a bunch of fights, I have to say this seems completely accurate, and mildly ridiculous. I'm curious to know if those of you who don't have ammo problems have autoresolved a lot of fights, because I've suddenly gone from no ammo, to swimming in it.
I do autoresolve quite a bit but my guess is that after the events at the
refugee camps
the loot increases as the enemies you encounter changes
I'm past that point and the enemies fought manually still rarely drop ammo while seemingly every autoresolved battle drops at least one stack of 50+ bullets. That's my impression, anyhow. Clearly this calls for further research.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Dev Diary 15 - Thank You!
A huge Thank You

It's finally here! Hi everyone, I am Boyan Ivanov and from both me and the entire team here at Haemimont Games thank you for believing in us and making the release of Jagged Alliance 3 our best release to this day.

JA3_Dancing_01.thumb.gif.9f213493720694c2f73a3e04364cedcc.gif

Release day is always exciting and fun. This time it was even more special as we got to share the excitement with you during our stream. We had great fun chatting and playing the game live, as well as reminiscing on the development journey with Brad, Ian and Strezov. And of course, laughing aloud as Angry Joe made his entrance.

JA3_Stream_01.thumb.jpg.b862661a8bace7ef8fec03827cdbdc63.jpg

Now, a week after the release of Jagged Alliance 3, I still cannot stop smiling as I read your own personal moments with the game. I remember one of our first conversations with Ian Curry (the creator of Jagged Alliance) and his words of wisdom – “we just wanted to make a fun game first” and this has been a guiding principle for us too. Seeing so many of you having fun with Jagged Alliance 3, the combat, the characters, and the world is heartwarming.

JA3_Comments_All_01.thumb.jpg.63c39f4d285319ac85c870dd3b17de55.jpg

The final push before launch is always straining and a bit of a tough slog. The extremely positive reception we got from you all uplifted our spirits and inspired us. Throughout the entire day on Monday, the office was filled with people discussing feedback, your suggestions, and critiques and how to make the game even better.

What’s Next

The immediate future we are focusing on solving technical issues and showstoppers that prevent people from playing Jagged Alliance 3. We are about to launch our first small patch later today, the patch notes you can read on Steam once the patch goes live.

We are receiving a vast amount of feedback from all of you. Both from our in-game reporting tool and on discord, forums, and social media. We are carefully reading, analyzing, and processing your comments, opinions, and critiques to assemble our priority list. In the coming weeks we will begin addressing gameplay issues, especially those that have quick and obvious solutions.

We will share more as we get a clearer picture of our roadmap forward.

JA3_UserSuggestions.thumb.png.75812c60afd03a6bed3a0c9f31bbc1f6.png

Mods

As we have stated our focus directly after release is bringing the modding tools to you. We are amazed at how quickly some of you managed to both create and publish mods to Steam Workshop. At the time of writing this there are close to 100 mods available. This affirms our hope that you will see Jagged Alliance 3 as a platform to bring your own creations and interpretations to reality and share them with each other.

With the release of the modding tools you will be able to make mods easier and quicker and I am sure that the Steam workshop will continue to grow at a rapid pace. We cannot wait to see what you will come up with in the future.

JA3_Workshop.thumb.png.29d01c6775601e0f29d70d1789dacf69.png

Future of Streams

We are also bringing back livestreams. This Monday at at 17:00 CEST / 11:00 AM EDT, Pavel and I are going to play the game live and discuss what is coming in the first patches. Join us on stream to have some fun and ask us any questions you have.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
I'm past that point and the enemies fought manually still rarely drop ammo while seemingly every autoresolved battle drops at least one stack of 50+ bullets. That's my impression, anyhow. Clearly this calls for further research.
I've noticed if a win a fight very fast I get more drops. Couple battles I blew up half the enemies in the surprise turn when they are all clustered, or when i ambushed the patrols on the bridge, nearly every guy drops something. The fights that drag on give me less.

So perhaps speed is a factor, and because the auto resolve doesn't have a turn counter it's giving players the full benefit of winning quickly.

Beowulf

Arcane
First patch is here and it already addresses the 0AP melee exploit:
Economy: Mines will drop income much slower when they begin to deplete
On combat end, interactables are now automatically highlighted, and toggle state (on/off) is now persisted across maps.
Zooming is now possible in overview mode.
Hand-to-hand specialization can now be used while merc is unarmed
Fixed issue where no mercenaries are available for hire & AIM database would be empty.
Fixed issue where free move APs could be used for an attack.
Fixed issue where music and some other sounds would play in mono instead of stereo.
Fixed giving ammo from one squad to another.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Anybody know the specific trigger for Fidel leaving?

Guy said he didn't kill enough people.

My brother in Christ, you just killed like 4 goons with a single grenade in the last fight.

Maybe he needs to kill people with bullets? Not my fault the dude comes with a just a pistol.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I may be completely wrong, but I wonder if shooting armored body parts will make you less likely to get any armor drops.

I am cheating. I installed the Active Time Pause Mod, and Normal Damage for Auto Fire. It should never have been nerfed in the first place (imo).

I have taken over the first island in my new run. Livewire, MD, Barry, Abu, and Steroid are in my current squad. I want to wait before I get a sixth character, probably Grunty. I don't really want to recruit any of the more expensive mercs at this point.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
Someone on steam said he leaves even if his kill ratio is 40% of entire team. Lmao.
In deadly games all Psycho mercs have a death/missions ratio that Is checked sometimes. Maybe too days were passed after last death?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also installed max inventory space for all mercs, fudge it.

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
There is a mod that lets you unclog mercs inventory a bit by storing crafting garbage like lenses, pipes etc in the squad's inventory.

There is a mod that lets you unclog mercs inventory a bit by storing crafting garbage like lenses, pipes etc in the squad's inventory.
Yeah, I tried it mostly to see how it looks like.
Surprisingly doesn't really make much difference, contrarily to my initial expectations.

P.S. I've read Steam comments about how mercenary training is "too powerful and effective" and I'm a bit puzzled by them. Given that it typically starts at 2 days length or so, isn't mercenary training a HUGE waste of time and money on anything that isn't the cheapest fuckers on the roster?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Yeah, I tried it mostly to see how it looks like.
Surprisingly doesn't really make much difference, contrarily to my initial expectations.

P.S. I've read Steam comments about how mercenary training is "too powerful and effective" and I'm a bit puzzled by them. Given that it typically starts at 2 days length or so, isn't mercenary training a HUGE waste of time and money on anything that isn't the cheapest fuckers on the roster?

For stats in the 50-60 range you can get 3-4 points per training session, but stats are kind of worthless at that level considering you need 70 for even basic perks. Wisdom also plays a role as my 50 wis MC rarely gains more than a single point in his skills at levels 60-70 over two days of training. Spending a whole two week period training thus may give you around 7-15 points in one stat or skill, which feels about right. Just enough to bump you to a higher perk or skill tier, if you're willing to burn the time and cash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom