Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Studio & Moebius Closed Down

Name

Cipher
I hope this game won't disappoint... too much. It's Jane Jensen trademark blend of history, possibly religion and (science) fantasy. But the reviews floating around are pretty bad.
At least the graphics is not as bad as some initial impressions claims it is.

Keshik

Arcane
Almost to the point where I left off in the beta (crappy tester that I am) so looking forward to stuff I didn't know. It is too easy and the "I can't think of a need for that yet" is a bit annoying, but I guess it does make some sense for the PC to not be the item vacuum I've been trained to play them as :P

retardation

Learned
Actually, for non-AAAA titles, Gamespot and also IGN reviews are often surprisingly decent. They could be wrong about this one, of course.

No. Gamespot's review of Croatian Gas Guzzlers (the first one) was full of lies. I stopped reading GS after that.
IGN once gave Football Manager a 2 or 3 out of 10. They deleted that review afterwards but I still chose not to read them anymore after that.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's really hit and miss on "under the radar" stuff because they hire freelancers. One review might be spot-on because they hired someone who knows the genre, another review might be total retardo because they hired a football game fanatic to review a PC strategy title.

It's a crapshoot. In general you should stick to enthusiast sites/forums anyway.

Keshik

Arcane
Hm, wish they'd wrap things up a little bit rather than them flying off and that was it. But I guess the Empire Rising part was resolved.

Agree that it's a 7/10 game, story was enjoyable to play through though I imagine Jensen wishes she could have made the game larger.

Name

Cipher
Phoenix Online Studios needs to get their tech together. The threads crashing problem from An Erica Reed Thriller still exist, and the animation/pathfinding tends to freeze/bump until that drunk engine figures out what it should be doing. Overall it's a improvement their last game though.
->Speaking of which, is Professor Reed Erica's dad? I remember his dad serves as hint system in that game, but I don't know if he has a job as history professor.
->So what's the deal with the deal with Phoenix Online Studios? I'm not a backer. It seems that Pinkerton Road only consists of Jensen and her husband.
-->Jensen is still a Master Storyteller, if considering how poor storytelling in video game industry generally is. What's her next project? Besides Gabriel Knight remake that is.
-->Will Gabriel Knight remake still be made by Phoenix Online? Will it use 3D character model and animation?
--->It doesn't matter if they make the music as good as the original though.
--->What's the deal with characters in nowadays AVGs all having cartoonish looks? It seems 2D old games have way more realistic models.

The gameplay is like a cross between Walking Dead and old-school point-and-click. You can click on a lot of things and get comments on them, and they even change across the chapters, while the puzzle is as simplistic as those in Walking Dead.
Not making your character kleptomaniac is odd design choice. Has this happened before? It makes some situation a bit less absurd, but more absurd in other situations
(like flying back and forth between New York and DC to grab stuff)

Metacritic shows the game having 55 aggregate score. I can understand their complain about tech and graphics, but I totally lost them at their complaints at the characters or plots. Most of them seems to be about "I hate misogynistic female writer" or "I am not interested in your high concept fantasy".
Will the winner formula of video game storytelling nowadays be substituting traditional (white) (male) protagonist with a lesbian/bi-sexual (non-white) female (underage) character?

Finally, my spoiler-full verdict on this game:
I hate it. The writer totally misrepresents anxiety disorder and panic attacks, and her portrayal of government agency, US army and antiquity dealers is totally unrealistic and slanderous. For the story structure, there are no prominent antagonists and a lot of miss opportunities with Russians, Chinese, zombies.
Avoid this game at all cost. Grab it for free if you really like story-oriented game.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/24/5641066/moebius-empire-rising-review-remedial-history

MOEBIUS: EMPIRE RISING IS BARELY COMPETENT AND DEEPLY MISOGYNISTIC

Ultimately, Moebius' technical glitches and visual blemishes mean nothing. In a stronger game, with good writing and consistent puzzle design, they'd be small distractions. But Moebius' ugliness goes right to its core, with a misogynistic tone, awful main character and poor storytelling. I was grateful when I finished it, not because I found the conclusion stirring, but because it meant I didn't have to spend any more time with Malachi Rector.

:retarded:

Keshik

Arcane
Thought everyone is judged by their appearance, not just picking on the women. But yeah, I thought RPS' review couldn't be topped...guess I was wrong.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not clicking that to give Polygon hits, but they are basically the RPS of the console space and SJW to the extreme.

Name

Cipher
After a day of completing said game, I'm still mortified for the realization that my past favorite game writer Jane Jensen is deeply misogynistic. Should we put her in concentration camp or hell?

almondblight

Arcane
The Codex should write an article about the misogynist video game reviewers that give Tim Schafer a pass while trashing Jane Jensen.

Name

Cipher
The Codex should write an article about the misogynist video game reviewers that give Tim Schafer a pass while trashing Jane Jensen.

Wow, actually... are there any celebrity female video game designers these days? I'm talking about those who actually do works instead of being poster-girl like Jade Raymond (who always serve as Producer).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow, actually... are there any celebrity female video game designers these days? I'm talking about those who actually do works instead of being poster-girl like Jade Raymond (who always serve as Producer).
Jennifer Hepler :troll:

On a more serious note, I think the Guild Wars leader writer is a woman. The lead for Portal 1 and Quantum Conundrum is Kim Swift, also a woman.

That's all I know off the top of my head.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All of Bioware's Dragon Age writing team is female except Gaider, I remember reading. Of course he's the boss so...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It must be a DA:I thing then. I know I read it when they had that press story about the females on his team convincing Gaider to remove a rape plot.

Repressed Homosexual
The feces in my toilet are worth more than anything that comes out of the mainstream gaming press about anything.

Thankfully the market is replying to these bozos, and their reply is: get out of here already, no one cares.

It's only extreme decadent lieberals catering to one another and patting one another on the back endlessly by how "progressive" they are. In the end it's more like the blind leading the blind, while 99.9% of the people who buy games are not aware of them or sneer at them.

The most outrageous is how they actually give 20-30% less to Moebius because it doesn't promote progressive ideals enough.

Last edited:

Keshik

Arcane
Jensen should have just made Walker and Rector lovers openly, that alone would paper over flaws over puzzles or animations as it's progressive and bold and so on.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, finished the game. I agree with the 7/10 score Roxor gave it, but the ending is not that rageworthy as he said. Yes, the maze is totally useless, boring, but it is not difficult or particulary long. But I agree that some nice puzzle at the end would have been better.

I liked the story, although the ending was a bit anti-climatic, but overall it is solid, worthy to Jane Jensen. The point and click puzzles are fairly easy, but the analyzing gameplay was a great idea, and fit perfectly into the storyline, and to Malachi's character. I can admit that in terms of gameplay and puzzles, this blows Broken Age out of the water. I would be satisfied if I backed the game, they delivered what was promised.

The worst part of the game was definitely the technical part, the animation is terrible in a lot of places, some character modells are poorly done, but it is not a big thing in my book.

Suchy

Arcane
Just started.

My God...

Dat animation...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom