Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jettatura is a Wizardry-inspired dungeon crawler a decade in the making

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wish western blobbers would finally copy that idea, it can't be too hard to build a rudimentary version of grid cartographer into your game's inventory screen.
Casus does that, but nobody played it (neither did I tbh; been sitting on my wishlist forever).

That is really interesting, I wonder why this one flopped so trendemously hard even compared to other indie blobbers? Not enough marketing? Single character turn based blobbing being an inherent mismatch? Too high a price?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That is really interesting, I wonder why this one flopped so trendemously hard even compared to other indie blobbers? Not enough marketing? Single character turn based blobbing being an inherent mismatch? Too high a price?

It has a really bland look, the combat is rather cumbersome, the enemies are generic and boring, and overall, while the map thing is interesting the rest of the game is kinda slow and not all that compelling

• Respects your time - prioritizes gameplay and dungeon exploration; no excessively-meandering "storytelling" here!

• Absolutely no hand-holding - draw your own damn maps!

This is a complete contradiction. And for godsakes, fucking wizardry 7 had mapping in game.

Graphics look like plastic, game seems to pride itself on having a target audience of one autistic person on codex, probably the guy who made it.
The term "Features" is a big stretch for a list of reasons why the game is bad. "Oh, AC goes downward from 10? Well shit, then I'm in!" Said nobody ever, who the fuck cares. That only ever made sense in the context of thaco. Now we have these new fangled computers that can do the math, so we don't need a system built to be easy to work with in one's head. Not that a traditional DnD ac setup is a bad thing necessarily, but its also not a good thing necessarily.

"Over 200 creature types!"
Seriously? What is this, some as seen on TV salad fork or some dumb shit? Why the lame ass marketing gimmicks? And let me guess, those 201 creature types consist of 10 models endlessly palette swapped, right?

Well it looks like there might be 2 people in this thread who will buy it and never play it, and still claim it's the best game ever since grimwah, but this is gonna flop hard and it's not even a little bit of a mystery why.

Sorry megidolaon . Good for you for creating something but I hope you weren't hoping to make any money with it. Hopefully it's a game you love.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Graphics look like plastic, game seems to pride itself on having a target audience of one autistic person on codex, probably the guy who made it.

In theory 3 people, the guy who made it, me and aweigh (though he hates everything not done by a Japanese, so he might not like it because of that).

In theory 3 people, the guy who made it, me and aweigh (though he hates everything not done by a Japanese, so he might not like it because of that).
Well uh... congratulations on your artisanal blobber I guess.

V_K

Arcane

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You're forgetting CryptRat and Strange Fellow.

You're right, and a couple of others.

I just find it funny that on a niche gaming site people ask why someone would develop his dream game and not just do something more mainstream. To me, this looks exactly like the game that the dev wanted to develop, so why would he change it, he's obviously not getting rich.

Codex Year of the Donut

I just find it funny that on a niche gaming site people ask why someone would develop his dream game and not just do something more mainstream. To me, this looks exactly like the game that the dev wanted to develop, so why would he change it, he's obviously not getting rich.
they ask why because optional features can be added that widen the appeal of the game which improve the odds of the dev making further games in the future

Mortmal

Arcane

Sure but there we are getting into a game only you, aweigh and the dev will play , between that and a mainstream game there is some margin.

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
I'm not entirely closed-off to the idea of an in-game map (in fact, the code for automap already exists -- it's just that it's only available in Edit mode), so I'll give it some more thought between now and release.

If it is added as a gameplay tool, I still don't want it to be effectively act as an easy "get out of sticky situations free" button -- that is definitely something I want to avoid. Maybe it can be implemented via a spell where the magician's Intelligence and/or Perception attributes would influence the degree as to how reliable (or not) the displayed map imagery is. Or maybe they can be scarce, one-time-use map items which crumble to dust after use, encouraging player to only use it when absolutely needed.

Again, I'll give it some thought.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sure but there we are getting into a game only you, aweigh and the dev will play , between that and a mainstream game there is some margin.

True, but adding a map or not is like adding a beginner difficulty to Dark Souls. It would sell more copies but it would fundamentally weaken the game itself.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm not entirely closed-off to the idea of an in-game map (in fact, the code for automap already exists -- it's just that it's only available in Edit mode), so I'll give it some more thought between now and release.

If it is added as a gameplay tool, I still don't want it to be effectively act as an easy "get out of sticky situations free" button -- that is definitely something I want to avoid. Maybe it can be implemented via a spell where the magician's Intelligence and/or Perception attributes would influence the degree as to how reliable (or not) the displayed map imagery is. Or maybe they can be scarce, one-time-use map items which crumble to dust after use, encouraging player to only use it when absolutely needed.

Again, I'll give it some thought.
Like in elminage, and then everyone hex edit their saves to have unlimited maps. Embrace modernity , its not compromising your honor that much, such feature is still like 30 years old.

V_K

Arcane
If it is added as a gameplay tool, I still don't want it to be effectively act as an easy "get out of sticky situations free" button -- that is definitely something I want to avoid. Maybe it can be implemented via a spell where the magician's Intelligence and/or Perception attributes would influence the degree as to how reliable (or not) the displayed map imagery is.
That's not a bad idea.
Also, I looked up the old development thread for this game - you also had an idea of a monster with a special attack that deletes your map. That'd also be an interesting mechanic.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Zelda and Thief both handle maps better than the vast majority of RPGs, including blobbers. Zelda requires you to find the map for each dungeon (and then you still need to find the compass to see your location on the map). Thief gives you hand-drawn maps with varying levels of detail, and you obviously can't see your location on the map, so you have to use it like you would a real map. Wizardry 7 gives you an auto-map, but you have to find it before you can use it, and the level of detail it shows is based on your Mapping skill. All 3 of these implementations are more interesting than a basic bitch auto-map.

Zelda and Thief both handle maps better than the vast majority of RPGs, including blobbers. Zelda requires you to find the map for each dungeon (and then you still need to find the compass to see your location on the map). Thief gives you hand-drawn maps with varying levels of detail, and you obviously can't see your location on the map, so you have to use it like you would a real map. Wizardry 7 gives you an auto-map, but you have to find it before you can use it, and the level of detail it shows is based on your Mapping skill. All 3 of these implementations are more interesting than a basic bitch auto-map.
Zelda literally fills in the map as you explore. It's an automap by every definition. And yeah, it's great. It's always great when a game automatically handles tedious nonsense like dice rolling, quest tracking, and mapping.

I mean, what difference does this make? Filling in a grid on graph paper isn't exactly skilled work, any moron can map something out of paper. Why not let the computer be that moron instead of the player?

Filling in a grid on graph paper isn't exactly skilled work, any moron can map something out of paper. Why not let the computer be that moron instead of the player?

Morons deserve their game. Let them have it, be respectful.
Hey, mad respect for someone coding their own dream game. But I feel the need to comment on the utter alienness of their strange dream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom