Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jettatura is a Wizardry-inspired dungeon crawler a decade in the making

turkishronin

Arcane
Auto-mapping is decline since it makes traps like warp or teleporter null. It would be cool to have map as a limited mage spell though. I usually go back and forth enough in blobbers to memorize them anyway

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Why would there just be a map of a dungeon sitting around in the dungeon?
Sounds dumb.
Because the workers and owner get hopelessly lost continuously. The monsters switch out rosters when their shifts end and well, they have terrible memory. Break time doesn't require them to stay in the room they are put in so, getting to the cooler, breakrooms, and latrines is often sought after. Funny, those aren't on thd map though.

Anyway, itchio release?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Maybe the dungeon is a city and people have maps because it's a real place they're expected to traverse. Maybe you're not the first adventurer in the dungeon, and the poor sap who came before you had started a map but never finished it. Maybe there are non-hostile NPCs in the dungeon who know the area well and will sell you a map. Maybe the upper level of the dungeon is being used as a hideout for bandits and they have a partial map so they don't get lost while coming and going.

Oh, but I guess it sounds dumb to the guy who doesn't play blobbers.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I have no idea but i do know some authors choose pay what you want. For demo that's fine but I feel some author's cheat thrmselves by not requiring a payment.

There were a few that had free demo and if you paid you got the full game/files.

As to giving itchio a share...dunno.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Sure looks nice but there's grimoire at 8 euros now too, doubt it has nearly as many features and grimoire wasnt even that great for everyone (i know biggest taboo on the dex). Whats the pricing range ? 4 euros ? One decade of work for 10 brofists and an hundred copies sold for a few euros, i salute such dedication , without irony.
Grimoire is a piece of shit boring game.
Ooops I thought you meant "legend of grimrock"

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How do you spend a decade doing this?

By being more productive than spending 8 years being a shitposting moron.
If this is directed at me, I'm actually doing my own game. Have been for 2 years now. It's a bit of a disappointment.

When you early retire and decide to work on your passion projects, the idea is that you're never going to work on shit that you don't like ever again.

Then 2 years later you find yourself working on something you can barely even look at. And it's like being a wage slave all over again. The only reason I'm not dropping the project is because if I don't finish this one, I'll never finish any other project either.

Looks like it's going to be at least another year.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Your own game? Do tell. Hmmm.
1cgimgyjmmm31.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Auto-mapping is decline since it makes traps like warp or teleporter null. It would be cool to have map as a limited mage spell though. I usually go back and forth enough in blobbers to memorize them anyway
Cause drawing them by hand does not make warp and teleporters null ? It's just wasting time , maybe to hide there's very little content.

mastroego

Arcane
Kudos for the efforts. It does look interesting.
Honestly the "text inventory" might be a deal breaker to me, though...

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

By being more productive than spending 8 years being a shitposting moron.
If this is directed at me, I'm actually doing my own game. Have been for 2 years now. It's a bit of a disappointment.

When you early retire and decide to work on your passion projects, the idea is that you're never going to work on shit that you don't like ever again.

Then 2 years later you find yourself working on something you can barely even look at. And it's like being a wage slave all over again. The only reason I'm not dropping the project is because if I don't finish this one, I'll never finish any other project either.

Looks like it's going to be at least another year.

*6 years.

Anyway, I'd suggest that this puts you in a better position to understand why your post was overflowing with asshattery.

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
A lot of factors.

The primary reason being: I enjoy playing videogames more than making them (or making anything), so it was common that I'd mostly only work on this when I was in the "programming mood". Whenever I forced myself to work on this when not in that "mood", I often wrote bad/sloppy code that I'd just have to fix or re-write from scratch later on, so I paced myself. The closer this project came to resembling a fully-playable game, I significantly spent less time playing videogames. I only beat maybe 3 or 4 games since late 2019.

Another factor: The UI code was particularly the worst part of the game's code, and that's the part of the game I had to re-write at least four or five times -- and I'm still not happy with it, because adding new menus or windows, or even updating existing ones, is always tedious and counter-intuitive. If the next game I make requires menus and windows like this one, I'm just going to use a third-party library from now on instead of trying to be a show-off.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Then 2 years later you find yourself working on something you can barely even look at. And it's like being a wage slave all over again.

But why, omg, why haven't you make it for fun to play? You can do anything. It is your game.
Or you mean the programming/developing process itself is unbearable? You may be burn-out.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Does look promising. The dungeon graphics and enemies are quite excellent. I would definitely throw out that music though - maybe replace it with unobtrusive ambient sounds.

Party member portraits would be nice too to increase immersion, but I guess that may be beyond the budget, just like inventory graphics.

But again, the graphics that you do have are quite good and atmospheric.

LJ40

Cipher
I had no idea "map whore filtering" was a thing, but here we are. Anyway, looks pretty awesome.

:d1p:

Edit - I kid, of course. I played the shit out of Underrail, so I know damn well that "map whore filtering" is very much a thing. People cried and bitched until they got a map there too. Stay strong, megidolaon.

turkishronin

Arcane
Cause drawing them by hand does not make warp and teleporters null ? It's just wasting time , maybe to hide there's very little content.

No it doesn't. The whole point of spinning traps in dungeons was to fuck over the ppl who drew maps since you couldn't just instantly tell in which direction you turned

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom