Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Josh Sawyer plans to develop a historical RPG after his current project

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some hack designer is thinking about making a game at some point. Maybe. Nothing else is known or sure.

NEWSPOST!!!!

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is hard for me to get excited for any project led by Sawyer. Last one that I really enjoyed and that was led by him was IWD2.
PoE while decent is not something to get my hopes up that next ones might be anything but only decent.

Mozg

Arcane
Seems highly Unfeargus but I'm interested if it ever happens.

OTOH it's very Paradox.

Something non-European tho please

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can anyone provide any concrete evidence, and I mean statements by Sawyer, not shit like "uuh, he rides bikes, is thin, vegetarian and has tats", of Sawyer's being a SJW?

Can anyone provide concrete examples, not sucked from Mizhena's cock, of SJW themes inserted by Sawyer/on Sawyer's watch in any game he has worked on?

I have respect for him being a historian, and I suspect much of the SJW accusations are overreactions, so try to disprove this.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Top 5 personal possibly interesting settings wishlist:

- Mesopotamia (with Excidium on that one)
- The Silk Route (Samarkand, epic LotR pan-shot scenery. In terms of location and time this could be made to feel close to the Conan films)
- The Order of Assassins in (and after) the Persian Empire
- The crusades
- The Thirty Years' war

Rome, the Inquisition and the age of steam have all been done to death.

Tigranes

Arcane
Can anyone provide any concrete evidence, and I mean statements by Sawyer, not shit like "uuh, he rides bikes, is thin, vegetarian and has tats", of Sawyer's being a SJW?

Can anyone provide concrete examples, not sucked from Mizhena's cock, of SJW themes inserted by Sawyer/on Sawyer's watch in any game he has worked on?

I have respect for him being a historian, and I suspect much of the SJW accusations are overreactions, so try to disprove this.

Can anyone tell me why this matters at all?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Videogames don't matter at all either. So?

He is being bashed and it doesn't matter at all if the claims are true?

Tigranes

Arcane

Videogames don't matter at all either. So?

He is being bashed and it doesn't matter at all if the claims are true?

Stalkers obsessing about some game dev's possible sjwness is even dumber than playing video games. Im saying we might as well ignore the idiots rather than try to argue with them about whether its true.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

How much it matters depends on various factors such as the setting, tone of the game or how skillful you are at incorporating different themes into the game. If you're making a history RPG and still shoe-horn 21st century liberal values everywhere, it might feel jarring to some people.

That said, Sawyer understands the difference between incorporating something into the game because it fits the setting and endorsing such actions in real life. I remember that he gave a good answer when asked about Legion's practices in FNV few years ago (Roguey or Infinitron can probably find what I'm talking about).

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmm, Josh Sawyer would definitely be the right person when it comes to historical knowledge. But tbh after PoE he has a lot to prove to me, a good setting alone cannot help if the mechanics are crap.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

He seems to be a pretty mixed bag. He defended NV heavily against SJWs, but OTOH he's a big supporter of saint Anita. I seem to remember Anthony Davis saying that Josh is pretty far from being an SJW.

Gallery of him shooting down some SJWs who claimed NV was sexist/rape fantasy etc etc:
http://imgur.com/a/gmnX6#0

AwesomeButton

Patron

He seems to be a pretty mixed bag. He defended NV heavily against SJWs, but OTOH he's a big supporter of saint Anita. I seem to remember Anthony Davis saying that Josh is pretty far from being an SJW.

Gallery of him shooting down some SJWs who claimed NV was sexist/rape fantasy etc etc:
http://imgur.com/a/gmnX6#0
Thank you. That was a mich better read than this thread.

Delbaeth

Learned
With Fantasy ? Why not something base on the Annals of the Four Masters? Like Cuchulainn?

Or the time when there were two popes?

Cadmus

Arcane
This just in - a new FPS is being developed by Obsidian, set in WW2 with fantastic elements and magic because the real world is too boring and we can't make a good game out of it!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm surprised Roguey didn't post the story about Sawyer demolishing popular SJW beliefs about medieval witchcraft.

Too amused by the alternate reality these guise live in where bad things don't happen in Sawyer-led games. However, for posterity

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3UNW2W14RYSIA
54 of 84 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars an insult to those who suffered, May 10, 2000
By
J.E. Sawyer
This review is from: Witchcraze: A New History of the European Witch Hunts (Paperback)
As others have written, Barstow's book lazily glosses over exceptions to her theory of witch-hunting as woman-hunting. I find this book to be disappointing on an academic level and a personal level. The most common figure one will find in this book lies in the quantitative data presented at the back of the book -- 75%. According to Barstow's sources, around 75%-80% of the people tried and killed were witches. Was there a bias against women? Certainly. Much like the bias against women that made them likely to be mystics of affective piety (something which few men ever were declared). Was witch-hunting woman-hunting? No way. Witch-hunting crossed gender lines, class lines, and religious lines. If witch-hunting were woman-hunting, we should see 100% listed for female prosecutions and executions across the board. To claim otherwise is to cheapen the deaths of thousands of men in a way that, quite frankly, disgusts me. In simple terms, Barstow seems to be unwilling to do what talented academics like Ginzburg demand that we do -- discriminate on the basis of microhistory. If you want to get a good grasp on witch-hunting, read Kors & Peters' compilation of primary source materials ("Witchcraft in Europe,") Edward Peters' "Inquisition," Joseph Klaits' "Servants of Satan," Wunderli's "The Drummer of Niklashausen," Hsia's "Myth of Ritual Murder," Ginzburg's "The Night Battles" and any other book that treats the subject with respect.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm surprised Roguey didn't post the story about Sawyer demolishing popular SJW beliefs about medieval witchcraft.

Too amused by the alternate reality these guise live in where bad things don't happen in Sawyer-led games. However, for posterity

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3UNW2W14RYSIA
54 of 84 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars an insult to those who suffered, May 10, 2000
By
J.E. Sawyer
This review is from: Witchcraze: A New History of the European Witch Hunts (Paperback)
As others have written, Barstow's book lazily glosses over exceptions to her theory of witch-hunting as woman-hunting. I find this book to be disappointing on an academic level and a personal level. The most common figure one will find in this book lies in the quantitative data presented at the back of the book -- 75%. According to Barstow's sources, around 75%-80% of the people tried and killed were witches. Was there a bias against women? Certainly. Much like the bias against women that made them likely to be mystics of affective piety (something which few men ever were declared). Was witch-hunting woman-hunting? No way. Witch-hunting crossed gender lines, class lines, and religious lines. If witch-hunting were woman-hunting, we should see 100% listed for female prosecutions and executions across the board. To claim otherwise is to cheapen the deaths of thousands of men in a way that, quite frankly, disgusts me. In simple terms, Barstow seems to be unwilling to do what talented academics like Ginzburg demand that we do -- discriminate on the basis of microhistory. If you want to get a good grasp on witch-hunting, read Kors & Peters' compilation of primary source materials ("Witchcraft in Europe,") Edward Peters' "Inquisition," Joseph Klaits' "Servants of Satan," Wunderli's "The Drummer of Niklashausen," Hsia's "Myth of Ritual Murder," Ginzburg's "The Night Battles" and any other book that treats the subject with respect.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. This just proves that Josh is willing to condemn SJW politics when he is passionate about the subject matter.

Given that he supports SJW bullshit in video games.. Though..
It could lead one to believe that perhaps... he made the wrong career choice and would be much happier as a web developer for the history channel. :smug:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Sawyer will destroy Obsidian within a couple years. Someone like him can't create anything of worth. His obsession with balance and no fun will destroy any project he works on.

Only a slow, painful death awaits Obsidian.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hmm, Josh Sawyer would definitely be the right person when it comes to historical knowledge. But tbh after PoE he has a lot to prove to me, a good setting alone cannot help if the mechanics are crap.

Are you saying the setting in Pillars is good/interesting and not totally bland and mediocre?Mechanically the game is best in the sea of shit that is rtwp.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Are you saying the setting in Pillars is good/interesting and not totally bland and mediocre?Mechanically the game is best in the sea of shit that is rtwp.

No, I found the setting awfully boring and try-hard. I also didn't like the mechanics tho - mostly bc rtwp in general. Also I hated the "balanced" design decisions.

As a history nerd Sawyer might have the potential to take an already interesting setting (pls not medieval europe) and build something around it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom